You should really have checked before buying it. Check Morrowind's site and see if they have a patch of some sort. If not, you'll probably have to wait for one.
I haven't used vista much but in XP you can rightclick an .exe file and check a compability box that makes it compatible with an older OS.

Of course, this worked rarely in XP but still, it's worth a shot.

Quote by Wratheh
You should really have checked before buying it. Check Morrowind's site and see if they have a patch of some sort. If not, you'll probably have to wait for one.

I don't think that'll ever happen, sadly.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Also, there's a patch somewhere on the net. Make sure you get that and some graphical updates; Morrowind is so ugly you can hear it.
The fully patched version should work. What is exactly wrong? Does it crash or freeze or what?
<3 Morrowind! epic game
completed it and have the house Hlaalu manor
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I borrowed game of The Year edition from my friend and it works fine on Vista. Maybe it's not your OS but some other aspect of your computer.
The one with the royal sceptre and gown

Quote by leaping badger
i like drag

Member of the "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join.
I'm sure there's something you could find. Try some message boards and see if anyone has asked about XP compatibility.

Btw, Morrowind > Oblivion.
Quote by CowboyUp
I'm sure there's something you could find. Try some message boards and see if anyone has asked about XP compatibility.

Btw, Morrowind > Oblivion.

Oblivion with scaling mods > Morrowind
Quote by Vermintide
Oblivion with scaling mods > Morrowind

Fair enough. However, it's also fair to say that all the good mods make the game more like Morrowind.
The only thing Oblivion has going for it is better graphics, Morrowind is by far the superior game.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Bubban
The only thing Oblivion has going for it is better graphics, Morrowind is by far the superior game.

Totally, but I still wish my computer could play it, just because with a few mods and some imagination it can basically become a Morrowind expansion, except prettier and less buggy.

*goes to play Morrowind*
Quote by Noyon999
buy oblivion

I agree with Kensai, try the XP compatibility thang

YOU N'WAH!
------------------
Quote by CowboyUp
Fair enough. However, it's also fair to say that all the good mods make the game more like Morrowind.

True, just without the eye cancer and huge treks
TS, do you just have Morrowind installed or any of the expansions? Plain Morrowind works with Vista for me, but crashes when I try to use Bloodmoon, though un-ticking it in the module selection screen makes it work.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Mky
YOU N'WAH!

I lol'ed IRL
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
What exactly happens? I have no experience with Morrowind, but I do know that people who usually say that **** doesn't work in Vista just don't know how to disable DEP for that specific program. This is exactly what happened to me with AoE III, it would say something like "AoE has stopped running" or something like that.

Wouldn't hurt to give this a try:
1. Right click on Computer and then click properties
2. In the blue, left-hand panel, click on Advanced system settings
3. In the new window, go to the Advanced tab, and under Performance, click Settings
4. In the new window, go to the Data Execution Prevention tab (this is DEP)
5. Choose the second option for turning on DEP on all programs except those you select
6. click "Add"
7. Navigate to where you installed Morrowind, default would be like C:\Program Files\Morrowind - if there's no such folder, there's usally a folder for the game studio company and then \Morrowind
8. Select the game .exe and then click OK
9. You must also do this for any expansion of the game you have, just find the .exe again

Alternativley(sp?) you could just try entirely disabling DEP:
1. (windows button on keyboard)+R
2. type "cmd" without quotes
3. type "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff" without quotes to disable
4. type "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn" without quotes to enable it incase it doesn't make a difference.

Note: you must restart after doing both of the above methods before they take affect on the system. It's also recommended you turn of UAC while performing these tasks. I recommend just trying the first method.
Quote by iruka2998
vista is balls.
seriously.

It's really not as terrible as people say it is. It's not great, but it can be once the bugs get worked out.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Mky
YOU N'WAH!

I heard the Dark Elf female voice in my head when I read that
Quote by Vermintide
True, just without the eye cancer and huge treks

Eye cancer, yes, but I liked the huge treks. It made the world more interesting. The huge treks are fine in Morrowind because the world is actually worth checking out. In Oblivion, because of leveled loot, there is no point in going into dungeons, and the world, other than lots of trees, is relatively barren (and there aren't even any monsters, just a bunch of random wolves in every part of the world). In Morrowind, caves have unique items, there are more unique locations rather than just "copy pasted" tents, and different places have different monsters, who for the most part are quite dangerous.

My favorite place in Morrowind to explore every time I play is this big valley south of the Ashlander camps, that goes from close to Red Mountain all the way to the sea (At the edge of it, next to the sea, is a big pirate ship).

Man, I need to play that game. *installs*
Last edited by CowboyUp at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by Mky
YOU N'WAH!

Pfft, that's rich coming from a S'WIT!

Anyway, I have Morrowind and Bloodmoon on Vista and it all works, and from the looks of the thread so do other people.
I advise re-installing it and/or patching it to the latest version you can find.