Hi guys, will buying a distortion pedal produce a better distortion effect if the amp driving sound is pretty bad?

i do not want to invest on a new amp yet cos my house is really small and blasting the guitar sound isnt very nice with neighbours all around.

thanks for all the advise that are coming!
yes it will but get a overdrive too. i suggest the digitec overdrive and the digitec distortion factory
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
Quote by gj.taylor
Hi guys, will buying a distortion pedal produce a better distortion effect if the amp driving sound is pretty bad?

i do not want to invest on a new amp yet cos my house is really small and blasting the guitar sound isnt very nice with neighbours all around.

thanks for all the advise that are coming!

It depends on the amp you have, if the amp itself isn't very good then a pedal isn't necessarily going to make it "better". It's probably worth picking up a couple of cheap pedals to experiment with but there's no point spending a significant amount of money as a pedal will only sound as good as your amp will let it.

If you have a cheap 15 watt no-name practice amp then it's not going to hurt to pick up a couple of $20 pedals to muck around with, but there's no point spendig, for arguments sake, $60-odd on a pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It depends on the amp you have, if the amp itself isn't very good then a pedal isn't necessarily going to make it "better". It's probably worth picking up a couple of cheap pedals to experiment with but there's no point spending a significant amount of money as a pedal will only sound as good as your amp will let it.

If you have a cheap 15 watt no-name practice amp then it's not going to hurt to pick up a couple of $20 pedals to muck around with, but there's no point spendig, for arguments sake, $60-odd on a pedal.

+1

Try looking used. Have a look around on eBay.
Buy a ds-1 their pretty cheap. But make sure you have a decent amp, because if your amp sucks the pedals are going to suck even more.
well if you have a low wattage practice amp then a cheap pedal will help, but it will be more worth while investing in a better quality practice amp and then buying a higher quality pedal to suite it.

i know you said you dont want a bigger amp but even valve amps can go down to practice levels, and my spider lll(non valve, dont underestimate the spider lll) can go down so you can barely hear it and its 75watts(which is relativly beafy), it all depends on your amp really
Last edited by axe_man at Feb 24, 2008,