Page 1 of 4
Blatantly pinched from Musician Talk...

Which pro bassist would you most want a lesson from if you could have two hours with anyone? Living or dead if you like...and give reasons of course!

hoping I don't get 20 posts all saying Jaco, Wooten and Flea
just to annoy you...

FLEA!!

love the guy
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Stu Hamm

Because I want to improve on my tapping technique.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
stu hamm, i'd love to learn how to tap and slap musically
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'm not just saying this to annoy you, but Wooten, because he's a good teacher.(apperently)
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Jason Newsted

edit: whym you say? because he has the most incredible style. He's a beast.
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I know dis sounds crazy and way out of the topic but how the **** do you post a thread? pls help me im quite new here tnx
Victor Wooten or John Patitucci. Their knowledge of the instrument is amazing.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Pete wentz, honestly.

Because id like to learn a lot of FOB songs plus in my opinion pete wentz is good.

*puts up flame shield*
Rex Brown or John Paul Jones.
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Either Justin Chancellor, Stefan Lessard, or John Myung.

They all have great technique with drummers, which is definately what I need to improve on.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'd have to say Tim Commerford, more for the lesson on gear than on actual technique (though I think he's better than people give him credit for).
Quote by fleajr_1412
Stu Hamm

Because I want to improve on my tapping technique.

Agreed, 100%
Peavey Fury bass
100 watt SWR Workingman's 12
John Myung... mainly because I rarely play bass anymore AND I never take the time to study any theory. When it comes to theory there's no person in the world i'd rather be taught by than a member of Dream Theater

Oh, and since the question was which pro bassist would you most want a lesson from I guess maybe Regi Wooten would be a good choice too. I mean, he's the guy who tought Victor how to play in the first place so he must've done SOMETHING right

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Donald "Duck" Dunn or Bruce Thomas because they have both played big parts in how I've developed my playing and they write some fantastic bass lines. Dunn did fantastic work for Stax records and did some really funky stuff, and Thomas just amazes me at how he introduced reggae an funky influences into new-wave songs for Elvis Costello AND made it work.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Donald "Duck" Dunn or Bruce Thomas

Argh...I was trying to think of who to go for myself but your choices are so damn tasteful that I can't think of anything better now. DAMN YOU!
Scott la Faro or NHOP, just for l33t jazzness.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
John Myung.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Robert Trujillo. I just really like his style. A lot of people might disagree with me though.
Roger Waters.
I'd love to learn more on the theory of composition with a bass, and for me, he'd be the one to do it.
Plus, I want to know how he does "Sheep" with a pick. The opening, at least.
And I semi-idolize him.
a lot.
Steve Harris - teach me how to fingerpick,
Mark Hoppus - How to play punk rock... and play fun...
Plus, I want to know how he does "Sheep" with a pick. The opening, at least.
And I semi-idolize him.
a lot.

Not to burst your bubble, but on the Animals tour Snowy White used to play that intro, rather than Waters, and very possibly Gilmour recorded it on the studio version.
But a lesson from Waters would be fun, definitely. Either him or John Entwistle.
Stu Hamm. tap plz.

I wouldn't mind one from Flea, not saying he's the best bassist ever, I just really love his basslines and wouldn't mind playing basslines like he does
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
flea or Paul McCartney!
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

I'd say maybe Chris Wolstenholme from Muse, maybe he doesn't have the greatest technique ever but I'd love to find out how he came up with such awesome riffs. OK, so that really wouldn't be a lesson, more a talk.

For a lesson, Mic Todd from Coheed and Cambria, to show me how to fit the pocket so well, but play some awesome grooves and fills. Also, I think he is one of the best modern bassist who plays to the drums so well.
signature
hmm....cliff burton...or john paul jones....

maybe flea but more so jsut to see if he is really as over rated as eryone says he is, see what he can actually do

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Rocco Prestia or Duck Dunn. Like Indie, I am a big fan of those old Stax bass lines. I still cruise the Stax website, rumour has it he DOES teach master classes on occasion.

And I just love Prestia's take on finger style funk. Going to see ToP each summer is a must for me. And he's a very approachable and warm human being to boot.
maybe flea but more so jsut to see if he is really as over rated as eryone says he is, see what he can actually do

Strangely enough, it is possible to see what Flea is capable of. There's a few CDs he appears on, he plays gigs occasionally, and he might just have jammed on stage from time to time.

Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton...

Geddy could teach me to sing and play at the same time.
Not to be arsey... but my current teacher. His name is Dave Marks and is a respected UK bassist, writes the style files for Bass Guitar Magazine and teaches at the Insitute of Contemporary Music.

I've been through a few teachers who were fantastic musicians, but werem't great teachers (Just like most lecturers, they are good at what they do, but aren't taught how to teach).

This guy is a fantastic teacher. He has a really good awareness and has a great ability to communicate ideas and point out your faults in way to improve them. If anyone lives anywhere near West London, I without a doubt recommend him. Slightly pricey at £30, but worth every penny. He will also give you music, drum tracks and writes his own pdf sheet music for you. This is not to mention he is a really chilled out dude, no ego whatsoever.

http://www.davemarks.com/

He's also got some free YouTube lessons covering some basic stuff.

But as for someone famous... I would go for Victor Wooten. I really like his teaching philosophy comparing learning how to play music, to learning how to speak. I had been thinking similar ideas for a little while, but the way he spelled them out was fantastic.
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at Feb 25, 2008,
Dave Marks? I've been on his site and read some of his articles in magazines he seems like he'd be a really good teacher.

For an all star celeb lesson though I'd go with Paul Simonon, I wouldn't let him touch my Fender though
If I was gonna learn tapping, I'd go with Jean Baudin.

For bass/music stuff in general, probably Cliff Burton.
Page 1 of 4