Page 1 of 2
Ok. I play mostly rock and blues (think Lynyrd Skynyrd, SRV, Blackfoot) I was set on getting an Epiphone les paul (Custom, HHH Custom, or Standard). When i went to go play them, they didnt feel any different than my SG Special, but did sound a little better. When I grabbed the Thinline 72' Telecaster reissue, it felt like another part of my body. It had massive sustain, and played like a dream.

I love the look of the Les Paul and the sound

I love the feel of the tele, and it looks sweet too.

Which do you think would suit me better, and do you think the tele could suit my need for rock since it has humbuckers?

BTW, i do play alot of cleans also, and i will be getting a new tube amp with it, so that is not a legit answer
Hello
Definatly go for the Telecaster you should not buy a guitar for the looks and just a little better sound.
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
Thinline teles are stunning.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Definitely the Tele.

Always get the guitar that feels the best to you.

It should be able to handle everything you play since it has humbuckers.

Get the Tele.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by BodaciousBob
Thinline teles are stunning.

I'd go with the thinline also.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Dude, Tele all the way.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Last edited by ste993 at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by The Raven
Perhaps a Tele with humbuckers and a coil tap

if they even make a tele like that....no

get the tele.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by guitarbite.fire
Go w. the tele then youll have a guitar w. buckers and one w. singles

Whatcha mean? My SG has HUmbuckers and so does the Thinline Tele

Ok, well i think everyone has made it obvious that i should go for the tele. BTW,
What is a coil tap?
Hello
Ok...what is a coil tap.

So you think that the Thinine Tele could handle rock?
Hello
well if it has humbuckers yeah, look at john 5

a coil tap basically splits the humbucker to give the sound of a single coil
best way i can describe it really...
Top lel.
How much does it cost? Could i do it myself? IS it really necessary?

Sorry for all the questions
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
How much does it cost? Could i do it myself? IS it really necessary?

Sorry for all the questions

nah not necisary imo, most guitars dont really come with it anyway

i dunno about doing it yourself, i'd assume a shop would be able to do it quite easily if you really wanted it
Top lel.
Quote by scott58
I'd go with the thinline also.

telecaster ftw.
I don't even shred
you could maybe get the tele and upgrade the pickups in your sg?

or upgrade your pickups in your sg and use it for rock, and get a single-coil telecaster to give you a bigger range of tones?

just two other options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I was thinking of doing that. I will probably get the new pups for the SG, but i dont know about the other guitar. I might be getting an ES 345 Copy Guitar for really cheap, and then i will have even more tonal varieties (sp?)
Hello
^ that's true, but then all 3 will have humbuckers, surely? i'd probably go for the single coil tele in that case (though obviously it's up to you).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, my friend just brought over his strat, and i love it. It has got that awesome twangy sound! Now I really dont know what to do.
Hello
Get the Telecaster. I think, regardless of looks and pickups, if a guitar feels like an extension of your body, it is the one to go for. Plus, the Thinline Tele is stunning.
Quote by MXBoy11
Well, my friend just brought over his strat, and i love it. It has got that awesome twangy sound! Now I really dont know what to do.

both!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thats what I'm saying! His was a Squier though, but if that sounded good and felt ok, I bet a new strat would feel awesome! I cant wait until my Dirtbike Sells, so i can finally get some cash!
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11

Strat.
Strat.
Strat.
Strat.

*looks at siggy and username*

Strat.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Strat.
Strat.
Strat.
Strat.

*looks at siggy and username*

Strat.

Haha, how are those cleans coming along??
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
Haha, how are those cleans coming along??

They still won't transfer! *punches wall*.

I'm going to try again today. Hopefully something will work.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
They still won't transfer! *punches wall*.

I'm going to try again today. Hopefully something will work.

Haha, cool. Thanks
Hello
Ok, so would a coil tap make it possible for me to get that twangy strat sound with the humbucker sound?
Hello
Possibly... I haven't ever tried it on my humbuckers because they don't have the right wiring (friggin Gibson stock...), but I've heard that it's not totally and completely a single coil sound. Besides, Strats are famous for THE single coil of ALL single coils...

The lesson? Only a Strat sounds like a Strat.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MXBoy11
Ok, so would a coil tap make it possible for me to get that twangy strat sound with the humbucker sound?

nah not really. to be honest, unless you have an HSH setup, tapped (actually, split is the correct term, tapped is something else, but much like "tremolo", the companies don't seem to mind not using the correct nomeclature...) humbuckers sound more like a telecaster, to my ears. though you might be able to experiment by using the different coils.

anyway, humbuckers when split give an alright approximation of single coils if you don't want to carry two guitars around, and mainly use humbucker tones... but "true" single coils sound much, much better. if you want a single coil sound as your main objective, odds are a coil split wouldn't really be good enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the 69' tele thinline instead of the 72'. It has singles, but since it's a hollow ash body, the tone will darken up real nice, so you can get crazy single coil cleans, but a sweet rock tone too.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by Friedmaniac
Get the 69' tele thinline instead of the 72'. It has singles, but since it's a hollow ash body, the tone will darken up real nice, so you can get crazy single coil cleans, but a sweet rock tone too.

Cool, cause (this may sound dumb) but the reason I dont wan to buy a strat (yet) is because everybody has them, and i like to be different
Hello
It sounds like the tele really made an impression. I think you should go with that. You'll probably end up wishing you had in the end if you pass it up.
Quote by Megdidar
It sounds like the tele really made an impression. I think you should go with that. You'll probably end up wishing you had in the end if you pass it up.

Yeah, your right. I need to go to Sam Ash again, and play some more guitars. This would be so much easier if my effin dirtbike would sell.
Hello
Page 1 of 2