okay so heres the situation
i know how to read tabs and play most of them (even tho i've only played guitar in total around 3 weeks over chirstmas ;p

so i got my frist guitar for myself yesterday, i can play some riffs on it and that
but one thing i havn't a clue how to do is play tabs like this

e----2-
B----3-
G----2-
D----0-
A-------
E-------

i duno how to do that without hits thee A and E strings aswell, or am i supoosed to??
it's really frustrating me atm, and i know i've only barely started to play but i am teaching myself and would love to know how to

any advice???
i design CD covers and Band Logos.
see my website for requests and exsamples of my work
Miss Morphine Designs
Last edited by morphine-love at Feb 24, 2008,
standard major chord. what i do is hold down my first finger on the e, B, and G strings behind the 2nd fret, (which is called a barre) then i put my second finger behind the 3rd fret on the B string.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
and what about stumming the strings?
is there a certan way of doing it or does it come with practise???
Miss Morphine Designs
The way I play it: middle finger on the E string, ring finger on the B and index finger on the G string. Then I mute the low E and A strings with my thumb to make sure they won't sound, but that's not necessary. If you don't mute the lowest strings, you just have to train to only hit the necessary strings.
you have to smash down your index finger on the e, b, and g strings fret 2 (make sure all of them can ring...and then place your middle finger on the b string, fret 3 (make sure its only hitting the b string)...then strum d, g, b, and e.
Just strum it, starting with the D string. I can't explain how any better than telling you to stick your pick there and strum down.
i know i'm like a mega n00b I like nothing about cords so i'm sorry if i'm asking silly questions
but when its split like

e|--2--|
B|--3--|
G|-----|
D|-----|
A|--2--|
E|--3--|

OR

e|------|
B|------|
G|-----|
D|-----|
A|--2--|
E|--3--|

how would i play that?
Miss Morphine Designs
Quote by morphine-love
i know i'm like a mega n00b I like nothing about cords so i'm sorry if i'm asking silly questions
but when its split like

e|--2--|
B|--3--|
G|-----|
D|-----|
A|--2--|
E|--3--|

OR

e|------|
B|------|
G|-----|
D|-----|
A|--2--|
E|--3--|

how would i play that?

For the first chord, I would play e with middle, b with pink, A with index, and E with ring. Then i would have my index deaden D and G (as in touch the strings, but not hard enough to make them hit the frets). Then I strum all six strings.

For the second example, do the same thing, only use your index and middle fingers to fret the notes, and your index to mute.
Quote by morphine-love
but when its split like

e|--2--|
B|--3--|
G|-----|
D|-----|
A|--2--|
E|--3--|

OR

e|------|
B|------|
G|-----|
D|-----|
A|--2--|
E|--3--|

how would i play that?

The first one is probably supposed to be fingerpicked.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The deal with tabs is that it only shows what fret and what string to sound. After practice and more practice you'll begin to recognize familiar shapes and chords, etc. The key is to find which hand position is most comfortable as it pertains to the diagram you are trying to figure out. So as long as you have the correct notes sounded, it doesn't really matter how you actually do it. Hope that helps haha keep practicing!
1979 Fender Telecaster
Vox Valvetronix 30w
Dunlop Wah
Digitech Flanger
Brian May Red Special Pedal