i'm going to start recording some stuff i have written onto my computer at home
i was thinking of buying one of these mixers, along with a decent microphone

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en...xenyx-802/70282
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-xenyx-1202/70277

would it be worth paying the extra £13 for the xenyx 1202?

what else would i need to record? im talking about recording vocals, maybe keyboard and acoustic guitar.

and would that mixer be suffice? i am on a low budget, and i also need to find a low priced microphone that doesnt sound like crap

cheers people, and sorry for all the questions!
The first link isn't working for me m8...if it was i'd happily tell you
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
i would suggest a recording interface rather than a mixer
firewire/usb (one with a XLR input & phantom power of course)

then just find free VST programs to use as synths n stuff & Reaper
you'll get a much better sound for the money than buying a cheap mixer & a cheap mic
I'll ask the question I always ask -

Are you going to be plugging into a stock soundcard, i.e, the one included with your computer?
There is poetry in despair.
what is a recording interface? could you link me to a decent one at around the same price?

i would probably plug it into my usb, as i heard its better quality or something?
an Audio Interface basically replaces your soundcard, and reduces latency and improves quality, some that are often recommended around your price range are -

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fast-track/66513
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/line6-toneport/68600

basically they plug into your usb slot, and you plug your guitar in, you then use the effects on the computer to edit it (they wont sound digital! [well maybe a bit] because you putting in a completely dry signal), i think its called re-amping, and some come with microphone slots to plug a mic in to record from your amp.
would i be able to record vocals and keyboard though with it?

im thinking of doing a little project you see, like using a drum machine from software, then recording guitar, then vocals, then some keyboard and maybe bass, so it would have to be pretty versatile
Most keyboards have an output jack, and you can use a guitar cable to connect this to input jacks on interfaces. The same goes for bass guitars.

You can connect what's called a dynamic microphone and sing with that m audio interface, although it cannot run a condenser mike, as they require powering. Read the stickies for definitions, they should be in there.

The line 6 toneport and guitar port interfaces are a different question, because they are guitar only. They're also overrated cheap rubbish and have more fanboys than Metallica.

At a very low budget, you'd be fairly hard pressed to find an interface that covers phantom power, but if you want a multi purpose mike for guitar and vocals, you'll probably be pointed towards the Shure M57, which I don't personally like, but has been the mainstay of microphones for the last 40 years or so and is pretty reliable. Plus, it's a dynamic mike, requires no powering and so will work with that m audio interface.

As for otrher stuff, you'll need a lead for microphone, which has a jack at one end and a male "XLR" with 3 pins (you see them a lot on bass amps) at the other.

You'll also need a mike stand, check maplins, they do a small tripod for about £4, good stuff.

Most mikes come with a clip, which you can also get at Maplins.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

The line 6 toneport and guitar port interfaces are a different question, because they are guitar only. They're also overrated cheap rubbish and have more fanboys than Metallica.

that's harsh, i have one & love it
the UX2 also has phantom power for microphones, so you're kinda ill informed

GearBox is the only thing that sucks about it, but there are plenty of alternatives...even free ones

http://line6.com/toneportux2/
so would it sound better if i used an interface thing?

i do music tech at school, so i know how to use cubase and mixing desks (well, the basics), that's why i opted for a mixing deskin the beginning.

what can a mixing desk do that the interface cant do?

wont it sound really "digital" through the interface?
An interface is what you need.

What is your budget?

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by dannyyy
so would it sound better if i used an interface thing?

i do music tech at school, so i know how to use cubase and mixing desks (well, the basics), that's why i opted for a mixing deskin the beginning.

what can a mixing desk do that the interface cant do?

wont it sound really "digital" through the interface?

Well, it will be digital. All recording to a computer is digital. The only way you'll achieve analogue is with tape recorders. All the interface is is an external soundcard.
There is poetry in despair.
my budget is like £50 GBP max pretty much for the interface itself, then id need a decent mic
cheers
ill just save a little more for it then! what cable will i need to plug my keyboard into it? will i need any accessories for it?
What kind of keyboard? If it's MIDI, you may want to get a different interface that allows it. Alternatively, you can get a dedicated interface, or a USB keyboard like the majority of M Audio's offerings.
its a yamaha DJX, on the back it has midi in, midi out, line in, and mic.

im guessing that means it wouldnt be able to be pluged straight into the interface?
So what do you think of me buying a fast track with a decent mic ?

will that give me decent quality results for vocals, guitar, bass ?
Decent is a subjective term. It'll be quite good for what you're paying, but there's always room for improvement.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Mar 15, 2008,
cool i'll be getting that then, thanks alot

any suggestions on the mic?

as cheap as possible really, i am on a tight budget