I have a ad30vt and i wanted to be able to get really heavy chugging tone for stuff like pantera and metallica and I also want a really great solo tone. I also can't get a good overdrive for stuff like ac/dc and led zepplin. Should I get a overdrive or should i get a distorsion and which one should I get. I can't afford to get two pedals right now and it would be nice to have it in a month. One more thing. Should i start thinking ahead and get a pedal board or just run the signal from my guitar to the pedal to the amp. All which is the longest cable length you think I would need and which brand should I be looking for that had decent quality. I'm tight on cash. Thanks

oh yeah im using a squier affinity strat it sucks but im upgrading.
first of all, go poke around the ultimate settings thread.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660
second of all, i have this pedal and i think it's awesome.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-OS2-OverdriveDistortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=151336
i scored one used for about $40.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
What amp do you have? You could buy an amp that does everything you want, and a hell of a lot better than a pedal.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
It really depends on which style you play more of, if you play more metal pantera etc then get a distortion pedal but if you play more led or ac/dc then get the overdrive its a simple matter of which you enjoy to play and play the most. for example i enjoy playing metal and have ordered a EH metal muff distortion pedal. hope i helped.
Quote by rhcp_freak
What amp do you have? You could buy an amp that does everything you want, and a hell of a lot better than a pedal.

Seconded

Getting a new amp is a better solution then getting a pedal.If you want both overdrive and distortion then a versatile amp would be the perfect solution. Pedals are mainly used to boost the sound of an amp, not to BE an amp. A pedal will not be a good solution to tone desires.

I found that out the hard way when i got a boss Ds-1 and Death metal pedal. Boss is quite pants and the pedal sounds really muddy and inaudible.

New amp FTW
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.