Page 1 of 2
Im going to be getting a randall half-stack here pretty soon but I am having trouble narrowing it down to one choice. I am looking to spend under $1000 (hence the reason why I'm looking at randall) and theres a bunch of different choices like the G3 or RH or whatever any suggestions?

By the way I am pretty determined on getting a randall so please don't flame to try to convince me to go otherwise
Why randall, and why a half-stack?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why randall, and why a half-stack?

+1
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by ltmusicman
One, because I like the metal-tone it puts out, and two for shows.

You only answered one question.
Why a half-stack?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
You only answered one question.
Why a half-stack?

He answered 'why a halfstack' "for shows".
You do not need a halfstack, or 100w.

Buy a 5150 combo.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
You don't need a halfstack for shows.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by ltmusicman
For Shows

That doesn't answer the question. A half-stack is completely unnecessary. You could be playing for a packed stadium, and you still wouldn't need one. I think what you mean to say is that you think a half-stack will make your penis look bigger.
Quote by ltmusicman
will somebody just answer my question please

We're trying to keep you from wasting your money.
And you are wasting your money.
Quote by ltmusicman
By the way I am pretty determined on getting a randall so please don't flame to try to convince me to go otherwise

We're not flaming you. I bet the 5150 will smoke that Randall and it's 5-600 used, saving you a lot of money.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

After you learn that you don't need a halfstack, I'm sure people would be more than willing.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Listen. If you like the tone of Randalls, then try the two you are deciding between and see which one you like more. It's that simple because people on here will tell you that you don't need a big halfstack. While it is true, you are pretty set on getting one so I say get what you want. Just don't complain when you don't like it in 6 months from now.

I say get a Mesa F-50.
Ok fine I don't need a half stack but I want one. I know you all probably think I'm stupid and I know where your coming from. I am asking nicely to please answer my question
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Listen. If you like the tone of Randalls, then try the two you are deciding between and see which one you like more. It's that simple because people on here will tell you that you don't need a big halfstack. While it is true, you are pretty set on getting one so I say get what you want. Just don't complain when you don't like it in 6 months from now.

I say get a Mesa F-50.

Lol thankyou that's better
Im pretty sure the RH is apart of the entry level RX series for beginners and the like. The G3 is some good stuff for solid state line. but if you want a good Randall for under a grand look for the RH50T its like 529.00 for the head and you can find a cheap cab somewhere. Or get the combo version of the RH50T and later buy a 4x12 cab and you can have a 3/4 stack.
the gear:
Jackson RR3 Trans red
LTD EX-260 White with black bevel
Ibanez RG3ex1 quilt red
Agile Ghost Pro 727 White
Krank Rev Jr.and cab
Blackheart 5W head
DigitechRP500
I think I just kind of wanted a half-stack because I don't want to have to crank it up to the max so you can actually hear me over the other guitar and drums and stuff. I also heard that ss amps sound not as good if they are cranked
^ Tube amps are about 2.5 times louder than SS for the same wattage. That means a 50 watt tube combo will be louder than a 120 watt SS halfstack. If you want metal, I would advise looking at a used 5150 combo, B-52 AT-112, Randall RG50TC, and the already mentioned Mesa F-50. All these amps will sound better as you crank them more and will be louder and better sounding than an SS amp. IMO, of course.
Quote by ltmusicman
I think I just kind of wanted a half-stack because I don't want to have to crank it up to the max so you can actually hear me over the other guitar and drums and stuff.

Alright.
If you were to get a valve amp though, it would sound BETTER, so you WOULD want to crank it up Although adding more mids to your EQ would help too.
Also, valve amps are a LOT louder than ss amps. 30 watts will fill out a gig.
Quote by ltmusicman
I also heard that ss amps sound not as good if they are cranked

You heard correctly. When ss amps clip due to high volumes, it's a much harsher clip to that of a valve amp.

I still strongly recommend a 6505/5150 combo Unless you need crystal clear cleans, and have someone to help you move it. I didn't realise how big they were until yesterday when I tried one, they're HUGE.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

I think I just kind of wanted a half-stack because I don't want to have to crank it up to the max so you can actually hear me over the other guitar and drums and stuff.

I use a 1x12 50 watt combo amp, and I drown out every other instrument (drums included) in the room without having to turn my volume even half-way.
What about this?
RG200G3
The only problem I don't like about tube amps is that your probably going to have to get an overdrive pedal for it because of the gain
Its a hybrid, and probably a bad hybrid at that, especially for 600. For 600 you could get an all tube 5150/6505. Just forget randall man.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by ltmusicman
One, because I like the metal-tone it puts out, and two for shows.

If you like the tone then you obviously have played it. You can't judge tone by brand, nor what gear a musician endorses. Metallica has their name on about 12 brands of amplifiers, you can't really pick one tone off their album, buy a dual rec and match it.

Buy the amp you played that you liked.

Time to stop being a smartass on my part.

I'm positive you haven't tried out a randall, in which case, for $1000, buy a decent 2x12 cab for about $200-$300

Carvin
B-52

Headwise, you can find these used for about $800 or less
Mesa/Boogie F-100/50/30
Mesa/Boogie Mark III
Marshall DSL-401 + overdrive pedal
Randall MTS combo
Randall V2
Carvin V3
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by ltmusicman
What about this?
RG200G3
The only problem I don't like about tube amps is that your probably going to have to get an overdrive pedal for it because of the gain

Those things sound awful. Crate Flexwaves have a warmer tone.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I havn't played it because nobody around here has em. I have been watching videos on youtube of people demonstrating different randall amps and I like how it sounds.
Quote by ltmusicman

Who on EARTH told you that?

Whoever did, is wrong.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Who on EARTH told you that?

Whoever did, is wrong.

To be honest, I have yet to play a tube amp that would not benefit greatly from an overdrive. A few amps, such as the dual and triple recto's are almost unusable without one.

That being said, if you buy a high gain tube amp, overdrives aren't needed, but they definatly can help.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
im thinking now more on the lines of buying a used RH150G3 head then getting a cab later
Quote by MESAexplorer
To be honest, I have yet to play a tube amp that would not benefit greatly from an overdrive. A few amps, such as the dual and triple recto's are almost unusable without one.
That being said, if you buy a high gain tube amp, overdrives aren't needed, but they definatly can help.

Oh yeah, an OD pedal can ALWAYS make a valve amp better, but you don't NEED one.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^ I'm thinking more on the lines of you at least trying to listen to some advice.

+1 Do you want help or not? What you're looking at won't fulfil your needs as well as some of the stuff mentioned here and is terrible value for money.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Feb 24, 2008,
I've taken all the useful advice and disregarded all the "that sucks balls you should get this bla h blah" bull s***. Thank you to those who were actually helpful and for you others... sorry to waste your time.
Quote by ltmusicman
I've taken all the useful advice and disregarded all the "that sucks balls you should get this bla h blah" bull s***. Thank you to those who were actually helpful and for you others... sorry to waste your time.

The ones that are helping you are the ones that are saying that the amp you are looking at does indeed suck compared to your other options.
just let him get the icepick for his ears its his money
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
alright man, i have the Randall G3 300 head w/ the matching cab and its pretty damn good for the money (about $1100) its a great metal amp and very loud! u should look into it

you all can make fun of me for saying this or whatever but i really dont like 5150...yes i said it....i've messed w/ that thing forever and i couldnt get a desirable tone! and i do know how to dial haha
and as for the "you don't need a half stack for shows" argument, you don't need one, but it helps, a lot. I really question how many people who keep saying that have actually played a fairly large show with a 30 watt tube combo or whatever.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
But the real question is how many players with randall halfstacks actually play fairly large shows?
I've seen quite a few local bands use them at 500+ capacity shows. oh and Dimebag.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2