Page 1 of 2
I need to type out a 2 page essay saying if i like or dislike Shakespears plays. I personally don't like them, but i need lots of opinions(on top of all mine) to back up why i dislike them, care to help me out
Hi tom
Dear 4117

plz do ur own hw

kthanxbai
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
If I was you, I'd just say I do like it. Not because I do, but there's so much more you can say.
You want us to tell you why you don't like Shakespeare?

Do your own thinking and homework!
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
What the hell's a tambien?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
its like basic math. 1 + -1 = 1
Quote by TheQuailman
Well he wrote about love all the time... proving himself GHEY.

Actually, it has been theorized (for lack of a better word) that Shakespeare might have been in fact gay.
- There is no evidence that he even wrote the majority of his plays
- Some of them only portray royalty/rich people
- He sucks balls (ok my own opinion)
You won't find any, no one would dare argue against Shakespeare
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Just write what you dislike about them, his storylines, his imagery, his dialogue etc..
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
You're not allowed to not like Shakespeare.

Rule # 33 of english literature

Besides if you can't write a paper using your own opinion, how the hell will you manage when there actually are right or wrong answers?

Oh, of course, start another thread on UG.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Actually, it has been theorized (for lack of a better word) that Shakespeare might have been in fact gay.

I know, I thought that would make my comment somewhat funny. I fail I guess.
Quote by MastaBassist10

Yeah but thats what they said about Dumbledore too

And wtf do you mean by "them"?
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by TheQuailman
Well he wrote about love all the time... proving himself GHEY.

There's a theory that shakespeare was at least bi as a few of his sonnets appear to be written towards men.
Quote by Guitarist132

I don't find the word "them" in his post.
Quote by Guitarist132

I thought Rowling came out and flat said Dumbledore was gay?
You have to include the fact that he invented the word eyeballs, even if you do dislike him.
How can you not like shakespeare? Have you actually read it? He's more perverted than the pit. There are penis jokes left and right, and there's innuendo through out the entire play.

Sit down and actually read it.

Yes shakespeare might have been gay. And?

SOME of his plays are only royalty. So?

There's no evidence most of those writers wrote their plays. Johston, Marlowe. A lot of times they collaborated. But most of shakespeares plays are probably written by his own hand, says the leading Shakespeare experts Dr. Paul Menzer and Ralph Cohen. The plays have been compared over and over, and they are all written by what appears to be one man.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by freedoms_stain
Dumbledore got all the bitches
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
because after reading one play of iambic pentameter, reading another makes you want to kill yourself, or at least in my case it does, especially with the plot of many of his plays
Quote by freedoms_stain

That's the joke

I think filthandfury summed it up best anyway, whether you like them or not there's gonna be more and better points about the good aspects of his plays

Make it easy for yourself and steal them rather than trying to invent your own negative ones
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by Artemis Entreri
How can you not like shakespeare? Have you actually read it? He's more perverted than the pit. There are penis jokes left and right, and there's innuendo through out the entire play.

Sit down and actually read it.

Yes shakespeare might have been gay. And?

SOME of his plays are only royalty. So?

There's no evidence most of those writers wrote their plays. Johston, Marlowe. A lot of times they collaborated. But most of shakespeares plays are probably written by his own hand, says the leading Shakespeare experts Dr. Paul Menzer and Ralph Cohen.

This is where the majority of people are wrong, Shakespeare wrote plays and therefore his work was never meant to be read, it was meant to be preformed.
He is ridiculously overrated.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Ah yes I forgot that. Sorry.

It's better to listen to it on a tape as you follow with your eyes so you can visualize it.

It WAS meant to be performed and not read. That's why they are plays.

There are many ommited cues and ommited stage actions that are neded to make the meaning come through.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by americnidiot
because after reading one play of iambic pentameter, reading another makes you want to kill yourself, or at least in my case it does, especially with the plot of many of his plays

You want to know what is ironic about this statement? Iambic pentameter is very close to the way English is spoken and written normally.

Anywho, i'm studying literature, and the only class i'm required to take is a shakespeare class. even if you don't like him, you should have the ability to read his works, and understand why they are vital to literature today.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by freedoms_stain
There's a theory that shakespeare was at least bi as a few of his sonnets appear to be written towards men.

Not the only reason, though the repeated references to the "Fair Youth" (in contrast to the less than glorious woman figure "the Dark Lady") are a good hint. Most likely the references are directed towards one of the patrons of shakespeare (which of them is unclear), and most likely he had a sexual relationship with one of these men.

Why don't you like Shakespeare? He's awesome.

Also: regarding only the "upper class royalty" being portrayed, in many instances there are jabs at the upper class in these works, as while the plays were being sponsored by the upper class, there was still a huge number of lower class to entertain. I would say certain ridiculous characters are really more mockeries of the upper class than glorifications of them. I certainly don't find Petruchio (in "The Taming of the Shrew") a loveable character.
Last edited by LoneWanderer13 at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by irnbrurules
This is where the majority of people are wrong, Shakespeare wrote plays and therefore his work was never meant to be read, it was meant to be preformed.

Yes, his plays get over-analysed in schools, and all the apsects of them that can be fun are systematically glossed over by teachers telling you how interesting it is that mouth-oriented imagery pops up throughout a play.
Fact, Shakespeare is taught badly in pretty much every school that exists.
Having said that, if you can write a decent critical essay on it, good for you.
I hated Shakespeare my sophomore year of high school because they slaughtered him for me. Then I went to camp at the Blackfriars playhouse in staunton and everything changed.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by roamingbard13
You want to know what is ironic about this statement? Iambic pentameter is very close to the way English is spoken and written normally.

Anywho, i'm studying literature, and the only class i'm required to take is a shakespeare class. even if you don't like him, you should have the ability to read his works, and understand why they are vital to literature today.

well, iambic pentameter does have a a rhythm like we use in speaking and it had to have taken a lot of talent to write numerous plays in the same meter, it just gets repetetive afer a while
Quote by MightyAl
Yes, his plays get over-analysed in schools, and all the apsects of them that can be fun are systematically glossed over by teachers telling you how interesting it is that mouth-oriented imagery pops up throughout a play.
Fact, Shakespeare is taught badly in pretty much every school that exists.
Having said that, if you can write a decent critical essay on it, good for you.

This is correct.
Quote by americnidiot
well, iambic pentameter does have a a rhythm like we use in speaking and it had to have taken a lot of talent to write numerous plays in the same meter, it just gets repetetive afer a while

He was probably so good at it midway through his life that he could pull iambic out in his sleep.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Shakespeare is awesome. He interepreted many common story lines in new ways and was able to make a living off it.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Quote by filthandfury
If I was you, I'd just say I do like it. Not because I do, but there's so much more you can say.

+1 That's often the basis of my answers, but not my actual opinions

TS, they're not asking for honesty, they're asking for reasons. Even evaluations which are meant to be opinions can be blagged.
just compare him to yourself over and over
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by MastaBassist10
He was gay
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Quote by TheQuailman
I don't find the word "them" in his post.

i was talking about TS
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Page 1 of 2