So me and my friends started a band the only problem is I am a guitar player and know nothing about basses I am playing my buddys fender right now but I need my own.So any help would be appreciated
Go to a teacher.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Ibanez basses are good for metal stuff. Get an active bass with a nice bass boost I'd say.

Greetz,
zerodeck
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vixen
Ibanez RG7321
Cort G210
Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
Laboga Mr. Hector
Randall 4x12
Boss MT 2
Boss BD 2
Boss DD3
Korg Pitchblack
epiphone thunderbirds are pretty good. if your playing specifically metal music...

look good and despite how much everyone tries to kill them you can actually get some decent sounds from it..

coincidentally im selling one..
want it? £200 with ritter gig bag.
pm for more details.
^ Don't try to convinve him to buy crap gear just because you can make a small personal profit from it.
This forum is to help people, not to fool them for your own needs.

Ben Hamelech
Ask to keep the Fender...

But really, go with an Ibanez for metal. Good stuff.
Quote by BassistGal
^ Don't try to convinve him to buy crap gear just because you can make a small personal profit from it.
This forum is to help people, not to fool them for your own needs.

to BassistGal

its not a crap bass!!!
its quite good, served me well for rock sounds and head-turns for a good year now... ill be sad when it goes.
im only selling it because i dont actually play metal anymore...

im not trying to make a personal profit, i think it would actually be quite a good bass for that guy...

grrr do you ven know anything about thunderbirds? have you ever played one yourself?
i really hate when people jump on the tbird hate band wagon..

(sorry bigchief84, this may turn into an arguement... its a good bass i swear)
I know this kinda off topic, but u drop tune basses just like guitars for neu metal and stuff right?
drop tuning annoys me... i dont get why at all..
all for an open D which you can play somewhere else...
confusing...
Quote by mini_mosher
confusing...

How about it's an octave lower, which inevitably sounds far heavier? And T-birds lack the clarity and cutting edge for metal. They would need far more volume to get heard.

You have a Warwick now, judging from your picture. Surely you can tell you can hear yourself far better now than with the T-bird?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Maybe you want that deep octave? That can be quite important to bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by gm jack
How about it's an octave lower, which inevitably sounds far heavier? And T-birds lack the clarity and cutting edge for metal. They would need far more volume to get heard.

You have a Warwick now, judging from your picture. Surely you can tell you can hear yourself far better now than with the T-bird?

i dont actually have a warwick, i looked after it for a few days while a friend moved house.
but you can get a good tone out a Tbird.

how would it sound if guitairsts were on drop D, and the bassist stayed standard?
What do you mean? It wouldn't make much of a difference unless the bass player wanted that low D or D#. Then he would have to go an octave higher.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by mini_mosher
i dont actually have a warwick, i looked after it for a few days while a friend moved house.
but you can get a good tone out a Tbird.

how would it sound if guitairsts were on drop D, and the bassist stayed standard?

Playing in unison when the guitarist playes those two lower notes (very often inmetal). Far less bass.

And surely those 2 days with a Warwick were enough.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ibanez is the way to go for metal bass. Or Dean if you want metal and only metal. They're pretty limited, though. One pickup thats set quite low down the body. Ibanez fo' sho' though.
grrr do you ven know anything about thunderbirds? have you ever played one yourself?
i really hate when people jump on the tbird hate band wagon..

Yes, I've played a couple before.

I've used to own an old Squier affinity precision bass, that was in an horrible shape all around, used to be owned by a school for several years, and been left to rot in a basement for a couple of years, and it still played and sounded better then the T birds.

Ben Hamelech
go with ibanez!!!
they are damn awesome for metal
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by BigChief84
So me and my friends started a band the only problem is I am a guitar player and know nothing about basses I am playing my buddys fender right now but I need my own.So any help would be appreciated

What's your price range?

I'd recommend a Spector, just because they're very versatile basses, and are quality instruments. The Performer is the lowest model, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

If you can afford it, I'd spring for a Spector Legend bass.

Also, TBH, ignore all the people who say "X BASS IS GOOD FOR METAL!!!" because any bass can be played in a metal band. It's all in the way you play the bass, and the way you EQ it. Basically, any bass is "good for metal."

Quote by mini_mosher
confusing...

There are more tunings besides drop D....

Most metal bands who tune down don't even play in drop D.
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Feb 24, 2008,
get a stagg heavy metal bass. thats whats its made for. search google images to see what it looks like for it try searching either "stagg heavy metal bass" or "stagg bass" or play around with it
I am thinking of getting a Squier vintage modified precision bass, I guess it's not the perfect bass for metal, but it would work right? Like charlatan said.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Last edited by BoggaN at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Charlatan_001

If you can afford it, I'd spring for a Spector Legend bass.

+1 for the Spector Legend. I have one and it is great, especially for metal. It has that high-end sizzle that other basses lack and has a solid mid and low range.
signature
I actually play a Epiphone Thunderbird IV.

I play in a metal band and it actually works well with metal, but I don't know about the whole Drop tuning because I'm usually all over the fretboard instead of chugging on an open D
A Squier VM should work out really well. The VM series is one of the few that doesn't feel Squier-y, to put it simply. That nice Precision punch should go well in a metal group, I'd imagine.

Next thing is your amp- what'll you be up against, in terms of your guitarists?
Quote by Pink Muse

Next thing is your amp- what'll you be up against, in terms of your guitarists?

Didnt get you there, but I got a KBA-100 amp, 100 watt, 15" speaker, but when we practise I use an hartke guitar amp and he uses a laney guitar amp, both half stacks.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Quote by AidanSC91
I actually play a Epiphone Thunderbird IV.

I play in a metal band and it actually works well with metal, but I don't know about the whole Drop tuning because I'm usually all over the fretboard instead of chugging on an open D

all over fretboard....up until the 15th fret

sorry....couldnt resist

and now to make this less spammy...

TS, the Squire should be a good first bass

and the punchiness of the pick up will be cool for metal and help you cut through

much more so than a Thunderbird
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by BoggaN
Didnt get you there, but I got a KBA-100 amp, 100 watt, 15" speaker, but when we practise I use an hartke guitar amp and he uses a laney guitar amp, both half stacks.

If you're practicing at higher volumes, I strongly advise using a BASS amp. I'd go for the squier VM precision, like you said though. The precision tone fits about anywhere and sounds good doing it. Check out some Iron Maiden if you want to hear a Precision in metal.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
And I would suggest the Squire Jazz, That bass probably has been used by half this forum to learn bass on. Not a bad beginner instrument.

If you do not like the Squire then look into the Ibanez GSR or something along those lines.

Quote by metalhead_1011
get a stagg heavy metal bass. thats whats its made for. search google images to see what it looks like for it try searching either "stagg heavy metal bass" or "stagg bass" or play around with it

I suggest that if you're an idiot, Don't give advice to people please.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!