hey guys,
i just changed strings on my strat for the first time and it feels like the action got higher.

did i do something wrong? or is this how it's supposed to feel?

i had 10's on before and i still have 10's on, and it's the same brand of strings.

thanks,

munch
check that ur bridge didnt lift into the air a little.

and if you want to lower the action, use a tiny allen wrench on the two pegs, on the front face of each saddle.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
wait, my bridge was lifted before i changed them, because i had the action raised before due to a buzzing problem.

so should i lower it anyways? and also how do i lower the action with the allen wrench... just twist all of the little holes? wouldn't i get uneven action?
if you took all the strings off then put a new set on, you likely bent your neck a bit forward. just tighten your truss rod. if you replaced them one at a time like you're supposed to, your guitar sucks
so to adjust my truss rod i use the wrench that came with it... right? and no, i replaced the strings one by one.
Quote by jj1565
check that ur bridge didnt lift into the air a little.

and if you want to lower the action, use a tiny allen wrench on the two pegs, on the front face of each saddle.

Quote by munchydoodle323
wait, my bridge was lifted before i changed them, because i had the action raised before due to a buzzing problem.

so should i lower it anyways? and also how do i lower the action with the allen wrench... just twist all of the little holes? wouldn't i get uneven action?

What guitar do you have? If it's a Fender Strat with the standard trem system then the bridge is supposed to be raised 1/8" at the rear Fender clearly state this in the literature you get with the guitar.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
yeah it shouldve come with a hex wrench, just look in the manual itll show you everything you need to do. its kind of tough to turn and the change is very slight. when i had work done on my guitar i was forced to take all the strings off, and when i put on a new set the neck was slightly bent forward because of all the sudden tension. i just unscrewed the truss rod cover, gave it a crank and it was back to normal. its very normal to have to push hard to turn it, just make sure youre turning it the right way
Quote by openedskittles
if you took all the strings off then put a new set on, you likely bent your neck a bit forward. just tighten your truss rod. if you replaced them one at a time like you're supposed to, your guitar sucks

no. really. no.

you dont bend your neck forward with every string change. all the strings off, allow the neck to relax if anything. it depends on string gauge and bridge type.

and the other statement about the guitar being crap is wrong too.

dont suggest someone even touch the truss rod until after the action is adjusted at the bridge and or the neck relief is measured. and even when needed, only after he's talked thru it.

also, for up there, ^^ lifted 1/8" is fine IF the bridge is balanced. not always an option on less than MIA strats.

Thread starter. if the back of the bridge is lifted up, off the body of the guitar, then repost.

if it's relatively level, then just adjust the screws that i said to, using a tiny allen wrench found at most hardware stores.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

also, for up there, ^^ lifted 1/8" is fine IF the bridge is balanced. not always an option on less than MIA strats.

Thread starter. if the back of the bridge is lifted up, off the body of the guitar, then repost.

Actually Fender make no distinction between MIM and MIA according to the documentation the came with my MIM Strat, however the bridge on my Squier Strat is set flush to the body.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)