Page 1 of 2
Ok, i could really use some advice.

I'm an intermediate player at best and when it comes to power-chords I can usually nail faster songs. And alternate picking stuff that is only on 1 or 2 strings, I can play that pretty fast.

When it comes to soloing I kinda crap out. It doesnt even have to be a hard solo and i kinda get my ass kicked.

I can't play the whole intro solo to "Fade to Black" cause that one fast part. But I can play the acoustic part and all the power-chords.

I don't know what to do. Am I just naturally a rhythm player or along the road did i not practice right? (I've been playing for about 2 years)

Do I just need to practice more? If so... How?
I'm Tyler
Quote by GiantRaven
I've been playing like 6 years and I can't play the intro solo to Fade to Black

Maybe you're just not playing seriously enough?
I'm Tyler
I have trouble with that one part of fade to black, sometimes I can hit it, sometimes I can't. I've been playing for 3 years and a year ago I wouldn't have been able to do it at all.you're doing good, just keep practicing.
practice, a lot. I was play about 1 year when I could play the intro solo to fade to black.

but yeah all you need is lots and lots of practice.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Just practice scales as fast as you can. Gets your fingers timed with your pick hand and will help you with string changes
Quote by Octtwe88
Maybe you're just not playing seriously enough?

He's a bassist.

and you just need to practice more. I had the same problem but I started practicing that solo at a slower tempo and then went from there. Good luck
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by The Spoon
Look up alternate picking lessons. And practice those religiously

Another thing, I can alternate pick fast on 1 or 2 strings but usually i just pick the direction that I'm headed.

When I read these exercises on alternate picking but upstroking a higher string I just kinda think "Why the hell would i wanna do that?"

If you know what I mean
I'm Tyler
I play rhythm too my friend who plays lead has only been playing for a few months more than me and he seems to be able to play anything so I'd just find someone who plays lead really but that's the easy way out
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
Quote by Octtwe88
Another thing, I can alternate pick fast on 1 or 2 strings but usually i just pick the direction that I'm headed.

When I read these exercises on alternate picking but upstroking a higher string I just kinda think "Why the hell would i wanna do that?"

If you know what I mean

Maybe you're destined to be a rhythm guitarist. But fear not, rhythm guitarists are usually the hottest ones in a band. Just leave the solos to the metalhead who never got any in high school.
I guess after enough practice with soloing you'll get it.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I know theres those guys who just naturally get better faster and I'm not one of them lol. I can pick up the rhythm of a chunky song fairly easy and play it as fast as I want.

Its just when it comes to using my fingers individually I just can't play very clean. I might memorize how to play something but when I try picking up the speed I get slammed.
I'm Tyler
I find this funny because I'm only just getting into the swing of rythm...

Got to used to lead and to lazy to get into chords. Not a problem anymore... Just practice I spose.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Just improvise a lot. Like it doesn't even have to sound that good. Just try to keep on scales. When you get really comfortable with scales (not just going one note intervals, include string skipping and large jumps). Then create a really simple riff and know what key it's in. Then use the corrisponding scale (try to improvise an octave up near the 12th fret, makes things easier for you). Now keep in mind what chords come where and what intervals the rythym is playing, and then just go nuts. Even if it doesn't sound good at first, just keep going and you'll get an ear and feeling for it.
The Pit. The Movie.
What I do is I play it really slowly and make sure I can hit all the notes clearly. Once you've memorized it, you'll notice that you can play it faster.
Not a very good explanation, but you'll figure it out.
♥xx♥

Play it over and over again. Use power tab or guitar pro and shut off the rhythm comepletely and just listen to it over and over, then try and play it and eventually u will memorize the hand positions and play up to speed. Then just practice that and u will nail it
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I started out the same way. I thought that I'd just get really good at doing rhythm playing and then play with guys that were good at doing leads. But it didn't quite work out that way and I was forced to play leads anyway just due to the circumstances of the bands I was in.

Just keep trying and practicing. Try and learn whatever you can and don't be too hard on yourself if you're not great at it right away.
Meh, just practice moar. Focus on your strengths; you don't have to be able to *insert skill here* to be a badass player.
Quote by Spay
Just improvise a lot. Like it doesn't even have to sound that good. Just try to keep on scales. When you get really comfortable with scales (not just going one note intervals, include string skipping and large jumps). Then create a really simple riff and know what key it's in. Then use the corrisponding scale (try to improvise an octave up near the 12th fret, makes things easier for you). Now keep in mind what chords come where and what intervals the rythym is playing, and then just go nuts. Even if it doesn't sound good at first, just keep going and you'll get an ear and feeling for it.

Thats something I haven't tried before. I'll definitely try that.
I'm Tyler
first i gotta say as soon as i saw the thread name i started singing "I Got Rhythm". Anyway im more of a rhythm player but im a decent soloist except that i cant play other peoples solos. Meaning i can make them up pretty good but not learn them.
I think with playing lead you should find a scale you like and work out the positions of it all the way up the guitar and go from there.

Also learn some licks from some guitar players you like.
Intro solo to Fade To Black = VERY ****ing rarely played properly.

So many people say it's beginner but it isn't. Most versions I hear sound horrible.
Quote by GiantRaven
I've been playing like 6 years and I can't play the intro solo to Fade to Black

It's really not hard at all. If you break it down and practice slowly it's pretty easy.

I know it but I can't play the fast part full speed b/c i just don't practice it nearly enough to get to full speed. I like improvising more than learning solos in songs.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by Jehuty
Que?

Isn't the point in music that you like - play things that sound GOOD?

I meant it in that not everything you try will sound that good. But only trial and error can really give you a good feel for the fretboard and soloing. When you play one note and then play another that doesn't sound good after that note, then you'll be aware of it and you'll know that that note doesn't go well with this or that note and you'll just be able to know by feel that what you play will sound good. And even when you just play a scale, it doesn't sound all that special, but playing and memorizing scales plays an important part in soloing and improv, right?
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by Jackolas

So many people say it's beginner but it isn't. Most versions I hear sound horrible.

Yeah, that's true. I remember playing it as a beginner but I always ****ed up.
Quote by Jehuty
Que?

Isn't the point in music that you like - play things that sound GOOD?

Gotta know how to fail to win.
You just haven't focused enough on your solo playing. Instead, you focused on rhythm because it came easier to you. I never got good at sweeping until I practiced it often. I'm still not too good, but a helluva let better than I previously was. I've always been focused on guitar solos, so, given, I'm good at guitar soloing.

But don't be put down that you can't solo. Rhythm is something that not everybody has and it's a great quality to have. Rhythm players can be good, even if solo players can be good too.
Quote by Jackolas

Yeah, I can play it to where it fits, but it's not even close to the original version in some places.
The Pit. The Movie.
Make up your own solos that sound cool and you can play. Having rythm>soloing, imo.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Page 1 of 2