As i have posted before, I am in the market for a tube amp. I had pretty much made up my mind on the new Vox AC30cc, but then I saw the dsl 401 combo. Is this amp any good? Ive seen mixed reviews, most of the complaints being about overheating issues and the parallel fx loop (not really sure whats the difference between parallel and series). What do you guys think? Thanks a bunch.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
I believe the overheating issues have been fixed. However, the drive is apparently known to be quite poor and fizzy. Some people love it, some really dont - mixed opinions. However, i would DEFINITELY recommend an AC30 over the DSL.
Whats your budget and will you be gigging at all?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
i have the ac30 and its a really awsome amp, just make sure u have a good od pedal
my budget's no more than 1200. im not currently gigging, but i have friends that i jam with regularly.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
^It actually isnt a horrible amp. Have you played one? and did you even crank it?

The Ac30 is a great amp. But you either love it or hate it imo.

I would adivse if possible to play them side by side and see what one rocks your boat.
The AC30 is vastly superior to the Marshall. If you want to save some money and get even better Marshall tone, you could look into the Traynor YCV 50. If you want to spend more for a better Marshall tone, you could look into the Orange Rocker 30.

The DSL401 is extremely overpriced in the US, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The DSL401 is heavier than an Orange Rocker.

I liked the tone I got from it when I played today.

Judging from your influences though I take it you don't need a heavy amp.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Yes no. Cleans were fine, workable, but the dist was fizzy and lacked any kind of marshallyness. And i prefered my vc to it which is 3/4 of the price.
i'd go for a peavey classic 30 over the DSL401 anyday. the DSL401 was the first tube amp that i ever played, and my expectations plummeted after playing that overpriced piece of crap, or for the same price you could get a JCM800 combo used off of eBay.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by slatsmania
The AC30 is vastly superior to the Marshall. If you want to save some money and get even better Marshall tone, you could look into the Traynor YCV 50. If you want to spend more for a better Marshall tone, you could look into the Orange Rocker 30.

The DSL401 is extremely overpriced in the US, IMHO.

i started looking into traynors on their website and they seem pretty sick. the ones that caught my eye were the YCV50 and the YCV40WR. Now i just have to find a store where i can try one out
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Good for you, man! You'll save $400-500, and have a better amp to show for it!

The "find a dealer" on their site link seems to work.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
It depends which country you live in, in england they are £389 so they are much better value and more popular but in the US you can get so much better for the money as its the equivalent about of £600. Its like in the UK, Traynors go for £600, and in US they are half that
well i got a dsl 401. and i tried the vox but just prefered the dsl. I love the distortion channel mine was second hand so might have been modded i duno. But i love it. Just gona buy an OD now for that really heavy sound, to tighten up low end. But maybe there are some good ones, and bad ones. I musta got a good one. BUt i really love mine, shout noob at me if you like but I can get a really marshally tone out of it, just like my mates jcm 800