Page 1 of 2
So im sure this question has been asked b4 - "what should i get as a first bass?" - but i want to know more than that. As a guitarist with 4 years of experience under my belt, im wondering how easy the transaction from guitar to bass is. is it easy to play both or is it confusing?
Shine on you Crazy Diamond

The police walked in for Jimmy Jazz
I said, he ain't here, but he sure went past
Oh, you're looking for Jimmy Jazz
it depends...
1. DONT PLAY THE BASS LIKE A 6 STRING!!!! ITS NOT!
2. its easy to play bass on a basic level, its hard to be really good.
3. timing timing timing, dance with your fingers.
4. enjoy. its a lot more fun, less competive, sounds better, feels better.

think thats it.
Quote by smb
Read my sig.

Its good, but I'd want a more interesting looking bas than them, i mean, the double-cut strat thing is done all too often, you know?

Quote by jakecko17
Its good, but I'd want a more interesting looking bas than them, i mean, the double-cut strat thing is done all too often, you know?

There's reason for that...

It works!

For example, take Exhibit 1 here. The Epiphone Thunderbird. It's a shit bass.

Stop worry about looks. Start worrying about tone, and feel.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101

It works!

sorry but the T-bird is a pratty good bass for rock/metal and looks alright too.
i cba to argue...
Quote by mini_mosher
sorry but the T-bird is a pratty good bass for rock/metal and looks alright too.
i cba to argue...

I completely agree if you like a bland, boring tone, no fret access past the 15th fret and horrible neck diving.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

As far as how easy the transition from guitar to bass is, you just need to know one thing:

Use the search bar.

Yeah, that was a bit cheeky, but it's quite often that people say "I'm not just asking about a beginner bass, but I play guitar as well..." the exact way you did. I'm sure you'll find a dozen identical threads that have all the answers you need!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Nutter_101
I completely agree if you like a bland, boring tone, no fret access past the 15th fret and horrible neck diving.

it is possible to get a relatively good tone out of it if you stay off the neck pickup. and use a good amp
i play a riff in my band that goes upto the17th fret no problem.
neck diving is sorted by moving the stap lock to the neck.
You'll find bass playing (and hence bass players) require a very different mentality. There aren't many pointy shaped basses (and the ones that there are don't sell well) because they're not practical and not many bassists feel the urge to suffer with an uncomfortable instrument just to try and stand out...(Bootsy excepted, of course!)
Quote by mini_mosher
it is possible to get a relatively good tone out of it if you stay off the neck pickup. and use a good amp
i play a riff in my band that goes upto the17th fret no problem.
neck diving is sorted by moving the stap lock to the neck.

Well then well done you.

And why should you have to modify a bass straight out of the box so it's reasonably usable?

Sounds like poor design.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

because everything else about it, is pretty good.
and if theres only one thing wrong with a bass that can easily be changed then i would say grt it and change that one thing so its better.

and theres at least one thing wrong with every bass.
Quote by mini_mosher
because everything else about it, is pretty good.
and if theres only one thing wrong with a bass that can easily be changed then i would say grt it and change that one thing so its better.

and theres at least one thing wrong with every bass.

There's more than one thing wrong with a Thunderbird. For example, poor fret access, neck diving, and crap tone.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

You know that the T-Bird has mini mudbuckers, right? TB-Plus.

"and theres at least one thing wrong with every bass."

That's the Thunderbird fans' mating call. They never ever say "the T-Bird is good" without following it up with "other basses have flaws too!" That's bordering on insolence. The "thing wrong" with other basses is so negligible compared to the bloody no-brainer fundamental problems that the Thunderbird has. T-Bird players are so "used" to these design flaws that it's hilarious to see how much they're willing to put up with. Also, this "good rock tone" makes me laugh too, considering that's all I play. It's as if Thunderbird fans thing all non-Thunderbird fans are fuzaak jazz players and slappers.

If my '51 Precision replica (the first commerically successful electric bass EVER MADE) has a clear-as-a-bell tone and impeccable balance and fret access, ever bass ever should have them too. Even that 2-saddle thin bridge doesn't make it play poorly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
How about epi guitars such as eb-0s?

U probably can't tell, but im trying not to sound like a massive newb here

O, btw, can ppl stop arguing about t-basses, i hav no intention of buyin 1 so this is not the place. DCreate your own little forum for your petty arguements (but i will say that it looks damn good but know eff all about bass playing, so is probably sh*t)

Last edited by jakecko17 at Feb 24, 2008,
EB-0s are 150x worse than Thunderbirds. You should actually relish and pay attention to the T-Bird arguements. The naysayers are making good points and the lovers are going "oh yeah!?!"
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
EB-0s are 150x worse than Thunderbirds. You should actually relish and pay attention to the T-Bird arguements. The naysayers are making good points and the lovers are going "oh yeah!?!"

Not a T-bird thread, for christs sake.

How about an Ibanez GAXB-150?

Epiphone have a very bad reputation for basses (in case you can't tell from the T-bird argument) and EB-0s are no exception. The poor balance problems SG guitars have are even worse on SG shaped basses and the Epiphone humbuckers just don't sound very good.
Quote by smb
Epiphone have a very bad reputation for basses (in case you can't tell from the T-bird argument) and EB-0s are no exception. The poor balance problems SG guitars have are even worse on SG shaped basses and the Epiphone humbuckers just don't sound very good.

more like it, an attempt to answer the question

Also, the fret access of an EB-0 is also really band, and the strap button is in a peculiar location. Also, it's short scale, so strings will be rarer, and tone will be muddier... and with that one pickup, it won't be good.

ESP does make some "better designed" SG-style basses. They might be a few hundred more, but they'll play a few hundred better.

EDIT: About the "double cutaways have been done far too often" (besides that not mattering and holding no water whatsoever), basses being the way they are, with long necks and heavy tuners, you need some sort of upper cutaway/long horn for a bass to play and balance properly. It's a fact of life. The double bass's design has been done to death for centuries too... and there's a reason it hasn't really changed. If you want radical looks that sound and play well, look into RockBass - but bring money.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 24, 2008,
Oh yeah I forgot about the short scale issue - I really don't recommend starting on a short scale bass. Go for 34".
Quote by jakecko17
im wondering how easy the transaction from guitar to bass is. is it easy to play both or is it confusing?

To paraphrase one of smb's better analogies, thinking you can easily transition from guitar to bass is like knowing English and expecting to be able to converse in French.

I wish that someone had taken me aside when I first transitioned to bass from guitar and pounded that in my head. Its a completely different mind set and the approach is different. There have been dozens of threads as to why, so I won't belabor the point here. My advise start from scratch and learn from the ground up. Don't skip your basics and keep the mindset that they are two different instruments and should be approached as such.

I play both, but like when you shift from one language to another, you have to "think" guitar or "think" bass. I benefit from playing both and so have many others. One will be your main focus though. Mine became bass.
Quote by Nutter_101

It works!

This is what I do not like about this bandwagon, you guys expect us to totally forego looks for tone and feel. A lot of people, myself included, want a bass that looks as unique as the player is.

There are certain basses that repel me by looks alone.

For example, the Pete Wentz sig. Lets say that from an amazing amount of luck, I found a PWS that felt more comfortable than a woman in bed, and sounded like the god, Thor, came down and imbued it with the heavenly powers of rock. I would refuse to play it. Why?

Because it is a Pete Wentz sig. That is why.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I appreciate that Kranos. But when you sacrifice tone and playability for looks, surely you're doing something wrong?

Hell, I wouldn't buy any bass. Looks rank quite high up for me. But still, I believe tone and feel are more important.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Kransocorp, your arguement is backwards. You said you shouldn't forgo looks because of playability, but you argued that you WOULD forgo playability BECAUSE of looks.

There's a difference between NOT getting something that might play nice because of it looks horrible, and GETTING something that plays bad because it looks great.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Kransocorp, your arguement is backwards. You said you shouldn't forgo looks because of playability, but you argued that you WOULD forgo playability BECAUSE of looks.

There's a difference between NOT getting something that might play nice because of it looks horrible, and GETTING something that plays bad because it looks great.

Ah, I did not see that difference. Either way I support both versions of the argument.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Ah, I did not see that difference. Either way I support both versions of the argument.

Well, that's good, but I think functionality looks cool. Things that look cool for the sake of looking cool are not cool - especially when they get in the way.

If I do become a hypocrite and find myself with a Stealth Bongo, the full 24 frets and 4-band EQ will titillate me as much as looks, but at the same time, I think there's a difference between wanting something tastefully different and wanting something different.

I think instruments are "all the same" now the same way viols, cars, and hammers look "all the same." As technology evolves and things improve, the eventual appearances begin to "converge" to one kind of shape. Kinda like that facial mold that all beautiful women fit in.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I really like instruments with stage presence.

From an audience's point of view, they cant tell a 4 band EQ from a ham radio. Functionality means nothing to them, however guitars that are glitsy or flashy will always catch their eyes.

To be honest, all I want is that when someone talks to me, they say "That is a cool guitar!", not "Why does that guitar have 4 strings?"

And finally, to show you my ideal bass, here is the one I have been GASing for a while and have recently purchased.
http://www.spectorbass.com/bass_perf4classic3.html
(in holoflash)
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
I've seen those, and they play fine, and the different-colours finish is fun.

I'm not against standing out with your instrument. I'm just saying your standing ou shouldn't impede your playing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by anarkee
To paraphrase one of smb's better analogies, thinking you can easily transition from guitar to bass is like knowing English and expecting to be able to converse in French.

I wouldn't suggest it to be that hard. It's like going from a British to a southern dialect. There is a bit of it lost in translation, but a managable gap. I play many instruments, and the best transition i can compare it to is going from trumpet to tuba. Trumpet is more difficult, and higher, and it's easier to start on trumpet and go to tuba. while you can't just go straight to tuba and pick it up be a virtuoso, it's easy to pick it up, and relate your trumpet knowledge to it.

So, TS, or whoever, to go from guitar to bass would be a logical choice.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by thefitz
I've seen those, and they play fine, and the different-colours finish is fun.

I'm not against standing out with your instrument. I'm just saying your standing ou shouldn't impede your playing.

This is where I disagree. Although I do admit that I was a tad extreme earlier in the thread, I am willing to sacrifice playability for uniqueness. Not to any large levels, granted, but enough for me to be happy with a Tbird, SGs, or anything to that extent.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
This is where I disagree. Although I do admit that I was a tad extreme earlier in the thread, I am willing to sacrifice playability for uniqueness. Not to any large levels, granted, but enough for me to be happy with a Tbird, SGs, or anything to that extent.

Well, there we go. It's a difference in the amount we're willing to settle with for good looks. Personally, I would not settle for a bass that moves by itself when not being held, has unfeasibly accessable frets, and has trouble cutting the mix with more than 1 guitar. I would be willing to settle with modern 18V active humbuckers and a quality basswood body... MAYBE.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Well, there we go. It's a difference in the amount we're willing to settle with for good looks. Personally, I would not settle for a bass that moves by itself when not being held, has unfeasibly accessable frets, and has trouble cutting the mix with more than 1 guitar. I would be willing to settle with modern 18V active humbuckers and a quality basswood body... MAYBE.

*Nods head In agreement*

I believe we have come to an understanding, Fitz.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
going back to my earlier (unanswered) question, how about them ibanez gaxb - 150s, or should i look at spending a bit more than that?

Last edited by jakecko17 at Feb 25, 2008,
Best site to look at prices in the UK is:

www.GAK.co.uk

Best site for instruments in general, here is the GAXb-150 page:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/11412

It's a good starter bass, that and a bass amp and you'll be fine, as guitar cable will work fine for the bass.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by jakecko17
going back to my earlier (unanswered) question, how about them ibanez gaxb - 150s, or should i look at spending a bit more than that?

Your impatience and lack of tact are really making you fall into the guitarist turning to bass stereotype. Trully.

So, to answer your question, there aren't many cheaper basses made by brand names out there. I consider that bass to be sub-budget, almost competing with Rondobass and the like. Even though the woods are better than most on starter basses, the lack of options, cheap appointments, and shorter scale make it less desirable.

So, to answer your question - you should be spending a bit more than that. It's near-impossible to spend less.

This is extremely frustrating since the FAQ was made for threads like this to cease existing. A lot of people worked hard on that thing for people like you, and people like you getting all cute with people like me gets people like me angry.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Dear thefitz,

I hav no intention of making an enemy of u, we probaby share many similiar opinions, but plz could u suggest something, rather than telling me it is too cheap. Im a self admitted bass noob, after all.

PS, r u always online?

He does have a point about the FAQ to be honest, and don't be put off basses just because they look like Fender's. I will also point out that the body of a Jazz and a Strat are differant, so don't say they are the same

I would say look at the Rockbass Streamer Std , which will cost £209 for the dual pick up version, which will allow more variation in the tone.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by jakecko17
Dear thefitz,

I hav no intention of making an enemy of u, we probaby share many similiar opinions, but plz could u suggest something, rather than telling me it is too cheap. Im a self admitted bass noob, after all.

PS, r u always online?

If you don't want to be my enemy, be nice, and don't get all smart-arsey when asking people for something.

The suggestion I have is go out and try basses in and just above your price range, and see what calls out to you. If it's in a store, chances are it can only be so bad (i.e. Chinese eBay guitars). Really, those FAQ basses are the ones available at that price range.

And I'm a student who does 90% of his work on a computer, so I do pop in rather frequently for a minute or two to see if there is anything interesting. And I leave windows open every now and then. But what of it?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Page 1 of 2