well i ahve a hard time trying to match my amp to get the right sound when it say overdrive i put over drive on and piss around with it and it still doesn't sound right.

any help, magic thing i can use to help me!?!?!?!?!?
Well, first of all, what amp do you have?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Slow down, and remember: Grammar is key.
What amp do you have, as Blompcube asked?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Um.

Just because you put your amp on the right channel doesn't mean you will automatically get the SAME tone as the recording.

I'm going to take a WILD guess and say "Back down on the gain".
checked his profile. Between all the mispellings and grammar errors, I determined that it was a 30 watt marshall MG.
Yeah, guess you should back down on the gain.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by JMTrio134
Um.

Just because you put your amp on the right channel doesn't mean you will automatically get the SAME tone as the recording.

I'm going to take a WILD guess and say "Back down on the gain".

i don't use much gain cause if i put it up to high you it gets really fuzzy
Never mind.
Just saw some mispellings in your profile, you spelled Marshall without the second L, and you forgot one of the e's in peavey.
Anyways, it's just hard to read posts when they have some words blended together, or without punctuation.
So, nevermind what I said.

What kind of sound are you going for? What makes it sound "wrong", do you think? Too much treble, too muddy, not scooped enough?
If you can't get the tone you want, you may just need a new amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
k lets just say crazytrain by ozzy right. i sit there and mess around with my amp for an hour moving the gain up and down, treble/bass up and down and contour. and it still sounds way to fuzzy. you can't hear the guitar when you turn it up. i think it might be because of the old single coils. any thing that can help this?? can you get pedals to reduce fuzz,maybe new chord,or something like that?
Quote by acdcrocks0323

Are you foreign? Stoned? Both? I have no idea what you just said. Slow down and do what they taught you in school.

dude do i look foreign. and i ant stoned. i just type fast sometimes.
Quote by nath1142

and what spell errors?

Priceless.

Look, you have to know what you're doing with the knobs. You can't play wheel of fortune with your knobs and hope something comes up.
The first issue is that your amp is probably not going to get you any sort of pleasing OD tone.
Hum may be a problem, since you have single coils.
Try out humbuckers on that.
But... I think it's just your amp. Marshall MG's are horrendous amps (sorry to be the one to tell you this).
Let's say you sold your MG, and you want to get a new amp, how much money would you have to get a new amp?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Hum may be a problem, since you have single coils.
Try out humbuckers on that.
But... I think it's just your amp. Marshall MG's are horrendous amps (sorry to be the one to tell you this).
Let's say you sold your MG, and you want to get a new amp, how much money would you have to get a new amp?

no i know marshall mg are aren't the best amps.(gift from my g-parent)any way
well i need 300 more for my new guitar. well idk i chould propable go 250-350.maybe a little more. so why aren't mg that great?? the only thing i don't like is the overdrive.
Quote by nath1142
no i know marshall mg are aren't the best amps.(gift from my g-parent)any way
well i need 300 more for my new guitar. well idk i chould propable go 250-350.maybe a little more. so why aren't mg that great?? the only thing i don't like is the overdrive.

amp is 10 times more important than a guitar. Unless the guitar is utter crap. Then, I say if you have both a bad guitar (I'm not saying that you do, i actually like yamahas, even their low end stuf) and bad amp, buy a new amp. But, if you have a good amp and bad guitar, get a new guitar.

Spend that 300 bucks on a roland cube or something.

MG's are just bad amps. If you like it, you have never tried a real amp.
The overdrive is fuzzy and bad, as you've said, and the cleans are lifeless.
Plus, they're way overpriced for what you pay for.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
300 what? elephants? spartans?

Currency please
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by darkarbiter7
amp is 10 times more important than a guitar. Unless the guitar is utter crap. Then, I say if you have both bad guitar (I'm not saying that you do, i actually like yamahas, even their low end stuf) and bad amp, buy a bad amp. But, if you have a good amp and bad guitar, get a new guitar.

Spend that 300 bucks on a roland cube or something.

MG's are just bad amps. If you like it, you have never tried a real amp.
The overdrive is fuzzy and bad, as you've said, and the cleans are lifeless.
Plus, they're way overpriced for what you pay for.

i like the clean lol. my electric guitar is a peavey preditor. the yamaha is acoustic.
it's a great guitar it's old but a great guitar.
Quote by nath1142
o what have i spell ahve no big deal guy i was just typing to fast.

sigged
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mcw00t

Currency please

He's a canadian.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by mcw00t

Currency please

........ ya my currency in CANNADA is elephants....

250-350dollars
Cool, in which case, go for something like a Roland Cube, as suggested before, amp>>>>>>guitar.

My Laney sounds good with a poopy guitar.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Yeah.
The reason if you have a really bad guitar (let's say some plastic bodied electric made by a 3 year old in indonesia), and a decent amp (like a cube), i'd say get a new guitar.
Because... The guitar probably won't stay in tune, sustain, or it'll give you alot of problems like high action, fret buzz, dead frets, etc.
But, since you have a decent peavey guitar, i'd say 100% get a new amp.
And roland cubes are good for your style.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Sig is short for signature. "Sigged" means put inside of a signature. Look below.

And I seriously hope that you just cant type because thats pretty sad for a 15 year old.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by nath1142
only thing that gay about that is the amp is only a couple months old.

Why should it's age matter?
So what if it's brand new, a marshall MG sounds worse than a good, but a few years old valve amp of the same price (talking about the MG halfstack and more expensive ones). A 600 dollar brand new, straight out of the factory marshall MG halfstack is 8 times worse than a 500 dollar (used, so a few years old) peavey classic 50.

And when you're sigged, a person quotes your post and puts it in their signature.
For example, someone called me the wisest man of UG, so I put it in my sig.
And I sigged someone posting something quite stupid (see bottom one).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by mike.h
Sig is short for signature. "Sigged" means put inside of a signature. Look below.

And I seriously hope that you just cant type because thats pretty sad for a 15 year old.

why the **** is everyone making a big deal over a couple miss spelled words.

i just type to fast.
Quote by nath1142
why the **** is everyone making a big deal over a couple miss spelled words.

i just type to fast.

Earlier, I just wanted to make sure that you slow down and review your post before you post. it makes everything alot easier to get help that way, so we don't have to ask you exactly what you said and whatnot.
But... I see that you're new, and you're probably used to chatrooms or myspace or something which no one really cares how accurate your typing is. But, on forums like UG, you want to make sure that your post is clear and is accurate to what you are asking. That way, we (the UG public) can help you with gear problems or whatever.
Just my $.02.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Dude, just take the extra 10 seconds to type it all out. You make yourself look like an idiot when you type like that.

And its "too", not to.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
sigged

can i ask y you would sigg that am i missing something??
Quote by darkarbiter7
Earlier, I just wanted to make sure that you slow down and review your post before you post. it makes everything alot easier to get help that way, so we don't have to ask you exactly what you said and whatnot.
But... I see that you're new, and you're probably used to chatrooms or myspace or something which no one really cares how accurate your typing is. But, on forums like UG, you want to make sure that your post is clear and is accurate to what you are asking. That way, we (the UG public) can help you with gear problems or whatever.
Just my $.02.

i don't go on the computer much. only check emails, and ask questions on this and one other fourm i'm in.
Oh, so you're not on the computer much.
That's understandable then.
Still, make sure to slow down and type clearly on UG when you get on again (if you're not soured enough by this experience).
Alot of UGers don't tolerate sloppy typing.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Dude, just take the extra 10 seconds to type it all out. You make yourself look like an idiot when you type like that.

And its "too", not to.[/QUO

dude who care's if someone spells something wrong cause if you know what they mean no big deal. you should just not be a prick about it and help then out with questions they have.
Last edited by nath1142 at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by mike.h

And its "too", not to.[/QUO

dude who care's if someone spells something wrong cause if you know what they mean no big deal. you should just not be a prick about it and help then out with questions they have.

The end of your post is the best way to type when you are on UG. I too have to recommend the Roland Cube. I own a Peavey Delta Blues but am in college so I cannot bring it here. I have a Roland Cube here that i use to practice and it is quite an nice amp. The cleans are very nice, based upon the Roland JC-120 which is considered by many to be a great clean amp. The overdrive channel on the amp has different amp models that it uses to get an overdriven or distorted sound. Overall a great amp that will last a long time.
k thanks?? i'm looking at them onlline and will propable go try a couple out next weekend
when i get to go to calgary.