i've been wanting to get a new amp and i've been wondering if i should get a half stack or a 2x12. i don't play gigs anymore so i don't need THAT much power.....but i still need power. it's just that, i've never owned a combo amp, and everyone i know that has, always had problems with them.

channels switching back and forth on their own was a problem i saw with 2x12's of every kind. Marshall's, Crate's, Peavey's. It seems that they sort of vibrate themselves apart. That's intolerable!

I'm thinking about getting the JSX but i don't know which way to get it.

what are your thoughts???
^+1
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I would get the halfstack, because it leaves alot more options for the long run. The combo is pretty loud anyway, there would not be a big difference between the 2.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
well if its just ganna be at your house and your gut feelling is to get a half stack
then just get a half stack
get rid of the worries
plus if you dont mind the extra cash
IMO Halfstacks sound better, are easier to transport, And you don't ever have to mic them if you don't want to.
Or buy the combo and a 412 cab for larger gigs. Best of both worlds.
Quote by stevenexp
IMO Halfstacks sound better, are easier to transport, And you don't ever have to mic them if you don't want to.

However, you can crank a combo without killing your neighborhood, and if you have 30w tube or more cranked, thats plenty un-mic'd for a decent size gig.

But a half stack would do you good when you start gettin bigger.
And you don't ever have to mic them if you don't want to.

At any decent size gig, yes, you will have to. Even if the amp is loud enough for everyone in the back to hear you (which both the half-stack and combo will be), you will deafen the audience members in the front row.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
At any decent size gig, yes, you will have to. Even if the amp is loud enough for everyone in the back to hear you (which both the half-stack and combo will be), you will deafen the audience members in the front row.

exactly. Bodies soak up sound waves like sponges, so once its loud enough for the whole room...its way too loud.
Combo

Pros: Smaller, usually cheaper, easier to transport.
Cons: Sometimes not as loud as half stacks(Sometimes)

Half stack:

Pros: You can experiment with different speakers and try get a different sound out of the same head. You can usually spread the sound making it louder, but the combos are still hella loud.

Cons: bitch to transport, takes a **** load of space
Quote by 6stringxsamurai

Going against type, here....

If you're interested in the JSX, I'd suggest you get the head and separate 2x12. Peavey speakers aren't the greatest. While I'd generally say "combo," in this case the head just makes more sense. For the price of the JSX cab, you could get a totally kick-ass 2x12 that would blow it away. THD, Budda, Soldano, Engl, Genz Benz, etc. All much better than the Peavey.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
OMG! Did slats just suggest against a combo? +1 to Slats!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sound wise I don't think there's a huge difference between the JSX combo and head/cab. They're both insanely loud and powerful - that is, you can feel the air pulsing from the speakers of both amps. TBH I can't think of a good logical reason to pick the head except that it's freaking cool.

+1 for head: chrome grill looks tight, imo.

-1 for head: no reverb.

Sigh. I'd really like to say that the logical thing to do is buy the combo, but man is a half-stack sexy....

Edit: People saying you can crank that combo but not the head are kidding themselves. They're both INSANELY loud. You're not gonna be cranking either of them without an attenuator and a buffered room. I know this has been said by people before, but it bears repeating:

30 WATTS = 100 WATTS!!! THEY'RE BOTH %$#$%^# LOUD!
Last edited by bullets34 at Feb 25, 2008,
I strongly recommend the Roland Cube 60 combo. Its volume is easily adjustible from "mom is sleeping" to "louder than a drummer." It has one 12" speaker. It is a modeling amp, so that means it replicates the sound of many other famous amps. It has a Peavey, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, A Fender Bassman, A Fender Twin Reverb, a Vox AC30, a Jazz Chorus, and two other ones. It has chorus, flanger, phaser, tremelo, reverb and delay. It has powered output to drive a cab for 60W. A line out, a tuner out (this is an uncolored guitar output to drive another amp is what i do), and a headphone out.

If you want to hear what it sounds like, i used it exclusively when recording my friends band. This is my actual amp in the recordings.
Easy On the Mayo @ myspace
Easy On The Mayo @ reverbnation
Quote by brentonlatour
I strongly recommend the Roland Cube 60 combo. Its volume is easily adjustible from "mom is sleeping" to "louder than a drummer." It has one 12" speaker. It is a modeling amp, so that means it replicates the sound of many other famous amps. It has a Peavey, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, A Fender Bassman, A Fender Twin Reverb, a Vox AC30, a Jazz Chorus, and two other ones. It has chorus, flanger, phaser, tremelo, reverb and delay. It has powered output to drive a cab for 60W. A line out, a tuner out (this is an uncolored guitar output to drive another amp is what i do), and a headphone out.

If you want to hear what it sounds like, i used it exclusively when recording my friends band. This is my actual amp in the recordings.

Sorry dude...but if this kid is looking into an amp like the JSX...then the last thing I would suggest is a Cube. Different class of amps.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Sorry dude...but if this kid is looking into an amp like the JSX...then the last thing I would suggest is a Cube. Different class of amps.

well now i feel like an idiot. how could i be so stupid?
You suggested a Cube 60 at his price range. Cube = solid state. JSX = tube. Even Peavey's lower (tube)amp series like the VK is better than the Cube. You just can't replicate the real thing.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Quote by brentonlatour

Fail of the day
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Well it doesn't matter if you want 2x12's or 4x12's.... If you get the head you can go with either. You can get a 2x12 cab and it'll be like a combo or you can get a 4x12 later on. In my opinion a 4x12 stack is easier to carry than a combo. Tube amp combos are heavy as hell. 4x12's usually have rollers on them and usually aren't that heavy if you have to pick them up for a few seconds.... And then of course the head is heavy but not as heavy without speakers on it. I probably have less back breaking moments with my half stack than I did when I had a combo. that combo was a bitch to lug around. I keep the head on my 4x12's and roll it out to the truck.... no carrying... and then when I get to the truck all I got to do is pick the cab up for a second... in which a band mate helps me out and put it in the back. I then stick my 5150 in the cab of my truck because I don't want to leave a tube amp in the back. And another plus.... If a speaker ever goes out... or say you just don't like your cab you can change it. With a combo if a speaker goes out or something happens and you have to send it for repair then there went your amp for a few weeks. Plus you might not like the speakers it comes with. You can buy a cab with whatever speakers you want. And really a half stack and 2x12's won't make much volume difference but I've always thought a half stack had more clarity because its not being pushed as hard like a 2x12. Even at low volumes I like to have 4x12's. Anyway im stoned so i keep talking. haha I just hate when people with combos here bash having a half stack. I'm a guy who used combos for years and then went to a half stack and it's been a great change.
Quote by 6stringxsamurai

what are your thoughts???

Well are you thinking of other options also? I could understand liking the jsx. I think it's alright but I think theres better out there for the price. Of course thats an opinion thing. I'm not saying this because I have one but the 6505 and 5150 are much more versitile than people here sometimes act like. Try out both of them before you buy. I tried out amps for a long time before I bought my 6505. I already had an original 5150 so I didn't know if I wanted another one. But after trying out all kinds of amps I stuck with it. I just couldn't find anything else under 1500 dollars that sounded as good. And it is a high gain amp but thats not all it will do. And also the clean channel does sound good on the 6505+ I don't care what anyone says. before effects... it sounds dry.... like most tube amps without reverb. And people think... this doesn't sound great. But it does... with a good neckpickup, reverb, delay, and chorus if you like the clean channel sounds great. But with my emg 81 the clean channel breaks up. With the neck pickup its very warm and bluesy. Also you can get great classic rock tones out of it.