hey guys, im after a new bass but i havent found one that has everything im looking for...

im planning to spend no more than £500 (about $1000) - my ideal bass would preferably have 24 frets (im a big burton fan) a fairly thin neck (personal preference) and should b a bit of an all rounder. I play anything from metal to funk and everything in between. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I still havent decided on 4 or 5 strings

cheers
You Britons get screwed at the border, but have you looked into the Fender Jazz 24? Stateside they retail for well enough under $1000.

Other than that, your description of "24 fret bass with a thin neck" is pretty much Ibanez's business card. I personally don't like it, but I think the company will survive without my patronage.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by nath1142
musicman stingray

They only have 21 frets and have quite chunky necks (all good things, IMO).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by smb
Haha I am an Ibanez fan and it sounds suspiciously like you want one of these:

Great bass!
I wish to hell EB put out a 24 fret Musicman--I'd be all over that like white on rice.

I love my SR800 for the reasons you mention, though I would love an Urge II or a Jazz V 24 as well. The Fender Jazz necks are thinner than their Precision brothers, but not as quick and thin as the Ibanez line. My advise, as always is try a few basses out and see what works for you.
Quote by smb
Haha I am an Ibanez fan and it sounds suspiciously like you want one of these:

yes, yes i do

i haven't had a chance to play the musicman, i have heard good things tho

thanks
The Musicman is far more expensive and doesn't fit your criteria (it's got a P style neck and only 21 frets, but they are amazing)

I suggest you try the Jazz 24 as well...I'm trying to think of other suggestions but the Ibanez SR900 and the Fender Jazz 24 really are the best 24 fret basses for that budget.
Quote by anarkee
I wish to hell EB put out a 24 fret Musicman--I'd be all over that like white on rice.

I love my SR800 for the reasons you mention, though I would love an Urge II or a Jazz V 24 as well. The Fender Jazz necks are thinner than their Precision brothers, but not as quick and thin as the Ibanez line. My advise, as always is try a few basses out and see what works for you.

You mean, like the awesome bongo?!
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
You mean, like the awesome bongo?!

lol, I shall qualify that. A Sterling or a Stingray with 24 frets. I have tried numerous Bongos and just can't get comfortable with the body design from a playability standpoint.
Quote by anarkee
lol, I shall qualify that. A Sterling or a Stingray with 24 frets. I have tried numerous Bongos and just can't get comfortable with the body design from a playability standpoint.

This is downright hyporcritical, but I must say it whenever I can.

I saw the Stealth Bongo and I think I may be in love. Maybe infatuated, but definitely interested in takin 'er out for a spin.

I saw Tony Levin play one (not knowing what it was called) and he looked so impossibly cool. Then, I saw one used for $940 in a store, all black and satin, and it looked just so incredible. It had steel strings and such an incredible meaty acoustic tone. Didn't get to plug it in, though.

Also, the 4-band EQ is interesting.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I bought a Fender Aerodyne a few months ago for just over £500 and it is a fantastic bass. It is by far the best bass I've ever had the pleasure to pay. Unfortunately it doesn't have 24 frets though, but it's definitely worth checking out.
Quote by thefitz
You Britons get screwed at the border, but have you looked into the Fender Jazz 24? Stateside they retail for well enough under $1000.

Other than that, your description of "24 fret bass with a thin neck" is pretty much Ibanez's business card. I personally don't like it, but I think the company will survive without my patronage.

i agree with this man completely, the fender jazz 24's look brilliant, and fender jazzes in general have lush tones
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by thefitz
This is downright hyporcritical, but I must say it whenever I can.

I saw the Stealth Bongo and I think I may be in love. Maybe infatuated, but definitely interested in takin 'er out for a spin.

I saw Tony Levin play one (not knowing what it was called) and he looked so impossibly cool. Then, I saw one used for $940 in a store, all black and satin, and it looked just so incredible. It had steel strings and such an incredible meaty acoustic tone. Didn't get to plug it in, though.

Also, the 4-band EQ is interesting.

Damn right, my next purchase is either a geddy lee jazz or a bongo! They truly are amazing.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2