Ok so I have some tracks I would like to record onto the PC. I use FL Studios and Sonar 7 for all of the mixing and what not.

I just have a few questions on my setup, in order for me to get some good quality sound into the PC.

I have a Spider III 15 amp that my friend is letting me borrow (has a lot of cool effects for the price of this thing btw). I'm lining into it with my guitar, and lining out of the amp directly to my sound card.

My sound card is a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music (It has built in presets for recording).

I have a 1/4 - 1/8 converter attached to the end of the cable to fit directly into the input of my sound card.

I know I probably need a preamp for this to sound better then it does because right now, it sounds horrible in FL and Sonar. So my question is, what sort of preamp shall I get? I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I just want to boost the quality enough, and let the software take care of the rest. And also, I'm not sure if I should run the preamp in between the guitar and the amp, and then to the pc, or if it should be ran in between the amp and the pc.

Suggestions would be great.

Thanks
What am I?

- Fender Fan-Boy
- Vintage Lover
- Monster lead guitarist

Get at me.