Page 1 of 3
Okay so I want my band to start tuning in Eb, because I like the edge you get from it, it would help our sound out, give all the songs a nice tone. But my other guitarist doesn't want to, I don't know why, but I've been trying to convince him. He thinks it would be too much of a hassle to tune back when we cover something in standard but I told him we'd just capo the 1st, he still doesn't crack. I've tried everything. Give me some other reasons to tune to Eb. Thanks.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Do you really want to become the next Metallica?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
He probably just doesn't know how. Oh and you're not the only Peruvian, I am.
a) Why does it really make much of a difference? All you're doing is lowering the tone ever so slightly, I don't see how it will give you any kind of a noticeable "edge".

b) Fuck the capo. If you want to cover something that's normally in standard then just cover it in Eb. Give that song your "edge" as well.
You don't even have to tune to standard to cover something in standard ... it will sound fine a half-step down.

I tuned my guitar a half step down because the guy I jam with has his guitar a half step down all the time, and I'm thinking of leaving it there myself.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
You don't. Simple as that.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
It's only half a step, what kind of difference would it make?

And y'all are really set on using that tuning, tell him to suck it up.
Who dat?
WHy do you want it flat. people wont notice, unless they have perfect pitch
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
tell him to tune to Eb then bend

its a fair bit easier
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Don't. It won't help at all. It'll take some tone off your guitar.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Tune down his guitar when he is not around, then tell him that you no longer want to tune in Eb. If he hasn't got "perfect pitch" or doesn't use digital tuners, he won't notice.
Yeah, it makes no difference save the fact you can bend notes easier and have a lower range by a semitone; a big difference

If you want to convince them, feed some bullsh*t like it fits the vocals better.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
dude, i think eb tuning is nice. it DOES make a difference. Try playing a guns n roses song in standard? are you guys tone deaf?
Haha. I'll just show up to our next show with our bassist and I tuned to Eb, and he'll have to suck it up and tune to it. Sweet. Thanks pit.

Sovtek MiG 60
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
start covering guns n roses and slayer, he will have to tune down. or just play something in standard and then the same thing in Eb and show him it sounds better, or just tell him to get a beater guitar for your standard songs. i keep aguitar in Eb just cause it sounds so cool.

EDIT: tell him I play in Eb a lot! all must bow to my will! why didnt i think of this before?

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by MrDinkleberry
Okay so I want my band to start tuning in Eb, because I like the edge you get from it, it would help our sound out, give all the songs a nice tone. But my other guitarist doesn't want to, I don't know why, but I've been trying to convince him. He thinks it would be too much of a hassle to tune back when we cover something in standard but I told him we'd just capo the 1st, he still doesn't crack. I've tried everything. Give me some other reasons to tune to Eb. Thanks.

This is exactly what my friend has been trying to get me to do ...in fact i thought u were him lol
NO CHANCE!! hehe
I personally keep one guitar in Eb and one in standard.

The only advantage I can see is that it makes high bends slightly easier, especially if you're using heavy strings.

but alot of bands who tune in standard in the studio tune in Eb live, makes it a little easier on the singer.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Here's an idea, get multiple guitars and have one tuned to standard, the other Eb. Whoa.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Kick him in the dick.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by NaivexLi
but alot of bands who tune in standard in the studio tune in Eb live, makes it a little easier on the singer.

+4.8
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
I love Eb. It helps your solos, makes the bends easier and I think the guitar feels better to play overall with it.

Just tell him it fits your vocalist much better.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
change his tunings when hes not looking if he s got a locking nut cut the strings at the trees then he will have no choice
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
either give up... or spend a **** load of money on a whammy pedal. plug that into his rig, I'm pretty sure it has a detune half step, 1 step, and 2 steps feature.
dont make him he propable likes standard tuning. or if you still want it use 2 gutiars 1 in standard 1 in Eb
Quote by Demon Wolf
I love Eb. It helps your solos, makes the bends easier and I think the guitar feels better to play overall with it.

Just tell him it fits your vocalist much better.

Yes! I think I love you.

Sovtek MiG 60
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
the only real reason i feel for bein in Eb is for the singer, it does'n give a big "edge" to a song
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by SupremeACL

I don't think being metal's most succesful band ever is that bad. And Metallica isn't the only band who has used the Eb tuning.

Or you could play in Eb and he could play in E. It would sound splendid!
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
The only reason you tune down is if your singer can't sing high enough or if your guitar has higher gaged strings on it. If you are rocking lights and you tune down to Eb it doesn't do crap. If any thing, it will make it sound worse. I think you are making assumptions of sound differences because SRV always tuned down, but he did because of those thick strings he used. They caused too much tension for his guitar. Tell ur other guitarist to slap you across the face
Quote by burrit0
He probably just doesn't know how. Oh and you're not the only Peruvian, I am.

hey me too
Best band of all time: OPETH.
I love angela Gossow. do you?
Quote by Garret.
My friend found nudity on youtube the other day

that was definitely a highlight of my life
Quote by Nike-Man
The only reason you tune down is if your singer can't sing high enough or if your guitar has higher gaged strings on it. If you are rocking lights and you tune down to Eb it doesn't do crap. If any thing, it will make it sound worse. I think you are making assumptions of sound differences because SRV always tuned down, but he did because of those thick strings he used. They caused too much tension for his guitar. Tell ur other guitarist to slap you across the face

Yes, Tony Kakko can't really sing that high. And James LaBrie, and Russell Allen and so on...
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by Nike-Man

Dude. I AM the singer. And yes we cover songs that are almost out of my range, and difficult to sing live, that's why I want to do it.

Sovtek MiG 60
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
Quote by MrDinkleberry
Dude. I AM the singer. And yes we cover songs that are almost out of my range, and difficult to sing live, that's why I want to do it.

Well, tell him that!
Quote by MrDinkleberry

Maybe he doesn't know why you won't just stay in standard.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by SupremeACL

Hate to be a pedant but slayer did it first.

Still applies though. Whys when you can write in standard.
Quote by nath1142
dont make him he propable likes standard tuning. or if you still want it use 2 gutiars 1 in standard 1 in Eb
That won't sound too good.

@NEM and Hammer: Chill dudes, it was a joke.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS: