I'm gonna mod up my Squire Strat (hey, that's original!) but i need a few questions answered before I start because Im a complete novice.

First off Im gonna repaint it, havent decided on how though. I've got some ideas floating around, possibly a swirl.

Im also going to put a humbucker in the bridge so im going to need a new pickguard.

And possibly a killswitch.

So:

1. When I take all the screws out the pickguard and the input jack, do i just cut the wire(s) connecting everything? If I do cut the wire(s), do i cut them close to the soldering?

2. When sanding the body, which is best, electric sander or sand by hand? And wet or dry sandpaper?

3. Are there sites that make necks with custom inlays? How much do they run (about)?

4. When i go to paint, how many coats of primer do i paint before the actual paint job?

and

5. I've heard custom inlays are a bitch to do (thats why i asked question 3) but can you paint like a little design on a neck instead of an actual inlay?

I know i sound like everyone's annoying 5 year old cousin that constantly asks questions, but I need a little help.

Thanks in advance. If i didnt come across clear enough, just tell me and i'll explain better (or at least try to).
2 things electric sander
dont re do the in lays on your neck your ruin it just buy a new one and your probly need to rout your guitar to fit a humbucker in
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
1- desoldering everything would be better if you'r re-using parts like th jack/pots, but if you're replacing everything (recomended), then just cutting them will be fine, as you're using all new stuff.

2- Just use some dry sandpaper and a sanding block to scuff up the surface for the new paint to stick to. No need to go right to the wood.

3- Not that I know of. There's definately places you can get it done, I'm just not sure where they are. It'll be expensive, though.

4- As many as nessecary. It depends how thick you put the coats on. The ultimate painting and refinishing thread has good info on this stuff.

5- You can paint it, but there's a chance it could wear off. Unless you're using a maple neck, where you need to put a finish on it anyways, then you could paint it then apply a clear finish.
Quote by rancidryan
2 things electric sander
dont re do the in lays on your neck your ruin it just buy a new one and your probly need to rout your guitar to fit a humbucker in

you won't need to reroute the guitar, most squier/fender strats are HSH routed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that i'll be getting all new electronics and some hardware.

One more question:
For single coils, the Fender noiseless or seymour duncans (are they noiseless aswell?)?
Quote by jumi1174
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that i'll be getting all new electronics and some hardware.

One more question:
For single coils, the Fender noiseless or seymour duncans (are they noiseless aswell?)?

That's like saying:
"I might buy a Ford. Will it have a V-8 engine?"
Some do, some don't.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.