So I have a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and I feel it's time to get something better. I plan to spend around $400 on a guitar. I've been playing for a year, I consider myself a intermediate player. I usually play hardcore (including emo, screamo, post-hardcore, you name it), classic rock (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC) and indie music. Most of the time I use a warm overdrive tone from my AD15VT. I'm looking for a guitar that can play beautiful clean tones that is good for both chord work and arpeggios, and that is good with overdrive (and something vintage-ish) and distortion (nothing reaching metal levels, though. I don't play with high gain). Can anyone give me some good guitar recommendations?
How about another Les Paul?

I'd look into Epi LP standard or Agile AL3000

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

You can't get something good for $400. Try to save up $600 and that gets you into
the next 'class' of guitars.
Agile FTW.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Agile AL3000. You'll be set for a LONG time with that guitar. Trust me.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by stradivari310
Get a new amp.

He didn't ask about an amp, he asked about a new guitar.

He seems quite happy with the one he has.

Don't give advice that has nothing to do with the thread.

Once again TS, I recommend al AL-3000 or 3100. I have a 2500 and it's nice as hell for the price, I can only imagine the quality of the 3000. Some have even compared them to Gibson (though I wouldn't go that far with it).
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by stradivari310
Get a new amp.

I just got this amp a few months ago.

Agiles look pretty good, I've heard nothing but good comments about them, and they look beautiful. The problem is that I'd have to buy one over the Internet. It is still an option though. In any case, I've been also interested on other Epiphone Les Pauls.
Or an Epiphone G400, pretty decent guitar for metal. Stay away from trems in that price range.
(Sorry for the bump!)

@uldhppi: yeah, I'm not into tremolos so I don't think a guitar with one. As for the G400, it is a nice guitar, pretty decent although I don't play metal.

I just have a question. The Agile looks beautiful and has amazing features for its price. But since I don't live in USA, shipping costs are a bit worrying. Does anyone know if RondoMusic ships to Costa Rica?

Epi LP's and the Agile are my two options right now, but I've been also looking into other guitars. The Schecter C-1 looks badass and very versatile. Link It is a little expensive for my budget, but I could get an extra $100 if I decide to go for it. I'm not sure though about the JB pickup, since it is an active type, would that give me heavy distortion? The reason I ask this is because, as I said, I don't like heavy distortion. What are your views/opinions on this guitar? Do you recommend it for me or not?

And last, are there any Fenders I should check out?
Quote by Zephyr77
You can't get something good for $400. Try to save up $600 and that gets you into
the next 'class' of guitars.

sometimes you can find a good deal but usually +1
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
You know youre a guitar player when you try to match the pitch of your guitar with a vacuum cleaner...

...mine's a Bb by the way...

OFFICIAL "DEAN PLAYERS UNITE" PLAYER #1