I've learnt the minor pentatonic shapes and can link them on the fretboard and everything, mainly in A, but im learning to do it on other keys now.

My main problem is that when im improvising everything kind of sounds the same and I dont really know what to do about it.

Where do I go from here?
Quote by sharene
I've learnt the minor pentatonic shapes and can link them on the fretboard and everything, mainly in A, but im learning to do it on other keys now.

My main problem is that when im improvising everything kind of sounds the same and I dont really know what to do about it.

Where do I go from here?

I get the exact same problem, sorry no help here.
The Snaggle Toothed Pirate
Quote by Fallenblood
Learn the natural minor now.

The natural minor... Hmm, isnt that the "Heavy Metal Scale"?
The Snaggle Toothed Pirate
Quote by Fight The Foo!
I get the exact same problem, sorry no help here.

After hearing that little nugget of genius, I'm sure she's got her problem fixed.

Anyway, to the thread starter- learn the harmonic/melodic minor, and work on blues scales too.
Last edited by :-D at Feb 24, 2008,
yeh i think ill go for the blues, do you guys have any tips on phrasing? When I play I always "stick'to the backing track if you get what i mean, like when i watch improv videos on youtube people seem, to kind play their own thing that sounds good against it, whereas I stick to the same tempo, hit notes when they do (on the track).

I joined guitarmasterclass because I thought it might help so ill have a look if they have any lessons on there.
Quote by :-D
After hearing that little nugget of genius, I'm sure he's got his problem fixed.

Im a girl btw
For phrasing, download backing tracks and improvise as much as you can, experimenting with different timings and groupings of notes. Listen to jazz players (not necessarily guitarists) because phrasing is essential to jazz. Joe Satriani is a master of phrasing as well.
Quote by sharene
yeh i think ill go for the blues, do you guys have any tips on phrasing? When I play I always "stick'to the backing track if you get what i mean, like when i watch improv videos on youtube people seem, to kind play their own thing that sounds good against it, whereas I stick to the same tempo, hit notes when they do (on the track).

I joined guitarmasterclass because I thought it might help so ill have a look if they have any lessons on there.

If you just have a simple blues backing, ie just rhythm with no lead line then you're forced to improvise because there aren't any notes to follow.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com