I'd say he was a fantastic talent. But I hate labelling anything 'the greatest'.

He's up there as one of my favourites, and in terms of technique he's practically flawless. And aside from the music, from the video's I've seen, he was a really down to earth person. There's a video of him talking to Alan Holdsworth (I think) and he looks starstruck. It's great to see the human element in these phenomenal guitarists. That's why I like Paul Gilbert as well.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Feb 24, 2008,
his musics not my cup of tea, but i'll admit he was a machine
only one other guy has ever stunned me like that; Michael Romeo
Quote by DeathDealer
his musics not my cup of tea, but i'll admit he was a machine
only one other guy has ever stunned me like that; Michael Romeo

those +yngwie are all fatties. maybe there's hope for me yet

I was like that at first, then I heard grey pianos flying and I enjoyed that, then I got into more of his other songs.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
well lane and rome are monster players! a friend of mine said that on the last DT SX tour romeo made petruci look slow
Quote by torturer6067
well lane and rome are monster players! a friend of mine said that on the last DT SX tour romeo made petruci look slow

Petrucci is a great player, but like i said Lane & Romeo are machines!!
their chops are inhumanly cold cut precise

Quote by Lemoninfluence

I was like that at first, then I heard grey pianos flying and I enjoyed that, then I got into more of his other songs.

i was joking about that some time ago with a friend of mine, the secret to perfect shredding; gain weight
there's a local who's on the chunky side, which is why i made the joke
http://www.myspace.com/pacocestero
Quote by Lemoninfluence

I always thought it had something to do with hair...most if not all of the great guitar players have had long hair at some point...

OT: Lane was awesome, technically flawless and musically brilliant, a huge loss for guitar playing and music in general.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I always thought it had something to do with hair...most if not all of the great guitar players have had long hair at some point...

OT: Lane was awesome, technically flawless and musically brilliant, a huge loss for guitar playing and music in general.

so long hair it is then.

damn... I'd always taken pride in the fact that out of my friends I was the only one to have not had long hair. but if it's the only way...

although a ton of long haired guitarists are poo aswell. hmm...

I think it's more to do with the fatness. I mean I haven't really seen a fatty guitarist be bad at what they do.

also, an awesome video of shawn in an allstar jam. a 10 year old kid has to follow shawns performance. I'd have pooped ma pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pxa3wXjTjM

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Isn't there already a Lane thread around here though?
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by Lemoninfluence
also, an awesome video of shawn in an allstar jam. a 10 year old kid has to follow shawns performance. I'd have pooped ma pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pxa3wXjTjM

God damn, if I'd had to follow that I would've just taken the guitar off and gone away or something, that kid's got balls.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
To shred, first you must eat.

Fat world class shredders – Lane, Tolkki, Romeo, Malmsteen. Surely that's saying something?

In any case, I'm off to eat 10 pizzas and some cake...
Maybe having fat hands makes it easier to mute strings? Anyway Lane is one of my favorite guitarists, I love the stuff he did with Hellborg, Rice w/ Angel is an awesome song. Also his video lessons are awesome, and his technique is really odd.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Maybe having fat hands makes it easier to mute strings? Anyway Lane is one of my favorite guitarists, I love the stuff he did with Hellborg, Rice w/ Angel is an awesome song. Also his video lessons are awesome, and his technique is really odd.

Yeah I always used to think that my thumb could bend back pretty far but then I saw his and was like the man has no bones. I tried his oscillatory picking for a bit but just couldn't deal with the thumb. I'd be playing for 10 minutes and I'd have to stop because of the strain.

Quote by element4433
^Ya, something that also freaks me out is his fretting hand patterns, and the way they allow him to do huge stretches, like 7 to 14 or something.