i hav this room in my basement and i want to make it into a home recording studio. well right now i have a computer that i download the drum tracks off of and i hav a boss br 600 recorder if i bought a mixer would i be able to use that and which mixer would be good to buy. also which mics would be good and would i need monitors.
Last edited by vacancy33 at Feb 24, 2008,
are you just getting into home recording or have you done it for a while? cuz I would say just use an interface and garage band cuz GB already has a whole mix board so...you spend less money...only downside is if you only pay for a 2 or 3 input interface then you pretty much record each instument seperately...but thats how Stevie Wonder made his albums...except he didnt have pro tools or anything like that. i dont think you need monitors...depends on what sound you want....
Quote by Caustic
If I didn't cuss so much, I'd be illiterate!

Quote by Will_Minus
Stupid people do stupid things. Don't be stupid, stupid.
br600 is a great start. all i did was add good headphones and a tube mic preamp and it sounds great. i'm upgrading to the Roland VS2400 and a Roland TD20 drumkit, but i'm still using the BR600 for demos and fun. its a great recorder with awesome resolution, i wouldnt get into that computer ****. if you wanna get a pro sound, just get the VS2400 down the road and add the mouse and screen upgrades to it.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Quote by SeanHart213
br600 is a great start. all i did was add good headphones and a tube mic preamp and it sounds great. i'm upgrading to the Roland VS2400 and a Roland TD20 drumkit, but i'm still using the BR600 for demos and fun. its a great recorder with awesome resolution, i wouldnt get into that computer ****. if you wanna get a pro sound, just get the VS2400 down the road and add the mouse and screen upgrades to it.

That computer shit? You mean the computer shit that's used by pro studios and allows you freedom of editing and sound manipulation? Yeah, I hate that too.

Anyway, as far as mics go, you can never go wrong with a Shure SM57 for micing amps as well as many other purposes. It's well known for being a workhorse mic. You could use this for vocals too, but I would recommend a condenser for more sensitivity (although its not a requirement). You could try an Audio Technica 4033 or Rode NT1A or NT-2. If you're on more of a budget, then try the Studio Projects B1, which sounds very good for the price.

As for monitors, I would if you want to make a good mix and have the budget to buy them then definitely do so.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
That computer shit? You mean the computer shit that's used by pro studios and allows you freedom of editing and sound manipulation? Yeah, I hate that too.

Anyway, as far as mics go, you can never go wrong with a Shure SM57 for micing amps as well as many other purposes. It's well known for being a workhorse mic. You could use this for vocals too, but I would recommend a condenser for more sensitivity (although its not a requirement). You could try an Audio Technica 4033 or Rode NT1A or NT-2. If you're on more of a budget, then try the Studio Projects B1, which sounds very good for the price.

As for monitors, I would if you want to make a good mix and have the budget to buy them then definitely do so.

That computer **** meaning the thing that crashes when you're in the middle of a project and sounds more processed than a mcdonalds cheeseburger as opposed to hard-disk and analog equipment. also if you're computer illiterate, it makes it even worse. the Roland VS-2400 is better than any Cubase or Pro tools in my opinion. but thats probly because ive had bad experience with computer recording. also, once these softwares came out, haven't you noticed how bad all of today's music is produced? massively digital sounding and over compressed. everything sounded much beter before studios started using computers.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Your computer crashes? You've got a bad computer, get a better one.

Better than ProTools in your opinion? Good for you, go use your Roland gear.

Notice how bad todays music is produced? Yes I do, and it sounds like it's poorly produced because alot of it is engineered to sound like that. Music in todays market is made to sound loud, flat, squashed and compressed, because it is.

A computer with ProTools isn't anymore "digital" than your Roland VS.

In fact, a computer is more likely to produce better audio than a Roland VS because it is modular, constantly changable, upgradable, and is not limited to its stock components, A/D/As, Op-Amps, etc

The only difference between "that computer ****", and a Roland VS, is the VS is all stuck in one box.
Quote by SeanHart213
That computer **** meaning the thing that crashes when you're in the middle of a project and sounds more processed than a mcdonalds cheeseburger as opposed to hard-disk and analog equipment. also if you're computer illiterate, it makes it even worse. the Roland VS-2400 is better than any Cubase or Pro tools in my opinion. but thats probly because ive had bad experience with computer recording. also, once these softwares came out, haven't you noticed how bad all of today's music is produced? massively digital sounding and over compressed. everything sounded much beter before studios started using computers.

um.... dude, recording with your roland IS computer recording. I don't believe digital is any better or worse than analog, soundwise. it's just.... different. and mr. pillow hit the nail right on the head with the reason why today's music sounds "bad". trends have changed. for example, correct me if I'm wrong, but at one point in popular music, engineers did everything they could to get rid of natural reverb. nowadays, engineers and producers actually use the room as another tool to shape their sounds. things change. trends just change and it has very little to do with the fact that a jump has been made away from analog. digital workstations allow people to easily (and cheaply) do things they simply can't do with analog.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
here is some stuff you might want to use for drums...(ambient miking)

Bass drum-AKG D112 (you could also use a Neumann U47 to capture mor air that is moved by the bass drum.)

Use a ribbon mic as overheads (you could use Royers SF-12 and SF-24)

Ambient Miking is your friend if you dont have a large budget. the best thing to do is just get out and play around with different mic configurations find out what sounds the best.
Quote by Caustic

Quote by Will_Minus
as for guitar amps....get a mic between the center of the cone and the surround (edge of the speaker) and then get a mic at more of a distance from the speaker cone....two dimensional recording. use something like AKG's C 414 B-XLS or Shure SM-57. but thats kind of miking is more for a live sound.
Quote by Caustic

Quote by Will_Minus
Quote by DeathDealer

+11eleventy

Read DD's link. Then read it again.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic