i was wondering if a tapped humbucker is as good as a real single coil?
i want to buy a tele but i want it to be really versatile.
from metal to country like john 5.
any suggestions?
Well I'd suggest an HSS guitar, maybe a Fender Highway 1 strat, theyre awesome. Considering the majority of metal is played on the bridge you can use the bridge humbucker, then the singlecoils for blues etc. HSS guitars a really versatile.
He's asking about a tele, though, which is more different from a strat than many people think.

And you can only get true single coil tone from a single coil, but I don't have much experience with humbuckers in general so I'm not all that helpful for this particular question. What I do know is that Telecasters seem to appear in every genre of music there is, so you will probably find a combination that will work well for you.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I have a Levinson Blade with single coils on the neck and middle and a humbucker on the bridge. It splits the humbucker on the selector switch. The sound isn't spot on for a single coil. But it is close. Personally, I would rather have the humbucker on the bridge. It sounds way better than a single coil.
Buy a regular Tele and get a bridge set up for a humbucker and drop one in. Or, if you have the tools, cut out a spot and put the HB between the singles and add a 5 way switch. The classic Tele sound is a combination of the neck and bridge singles so losing one will still limit you somewhat on classic Tele sound.
Get The EMG 81TW and 89 set. Basically an EMG 81/60, but they both have a coil tap. DO IT NAO
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Split humbuckers sound like single coils under distortion, but not so much on clean. Do what Fat Brian said, I think a bridge humbucker sounds better, but the tele neck Single coils clean tone is unbeatable. Teles have a much thicker tone than strats so a humbucker will sound great with it.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)