I'm looking to get some opinions about going to music schools such as Berklee College of Music. Of course their websites are going to be blasting information at you about why they're so awesome, but I'd like to hear some real people's views on things such as this.

Are they really worth attending or will I be kicking myself in the ass down the line for wasting money? These places offer all sorts of majors ranging from composition/song writing to performance to recording to education. I'd definitely want to focus more on the performance or song writing aspect of it all.

The question is, will these places really advance you as a musician or is just some sort of money sink designed to attract younger aspiring musicians?
It depends on what you want to go, how hard you're willing to work, and if you can afford it. The better ones will help you beyond your years, since they will push you farther than you'd push yourself and show you things that you may never have gotten exposed to otherwise. Plus, all your friends there will be other musicians to hang out with, learn from, jam with, hit open jams off campus with, etc.

Some of the better ones that come to mind: Berklee, Juliard (sp?), Interlochen, GIT, etc.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Any formal music college is by no means "some sort of money sink". If you do your research and find one with a good name that's well acknowledged and reputable (like Berklee), and you can actually get in, resources will be open to you that will make you successful if you really work for it.

If you're in New York state, the SUNY schools have some cool programs worth looking into. The guitar department at Fredonia is pretty good, and SUNY Oneonta has a Music Industry Major with requirements like "Rock Ensemble".
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
What kind of jobs can you expect to get? Not everyone is going to be in a successful band just because they went to music college.
Depends on what you want to do. If you plan to only do music stuff for money, then you'll have to make sure YOU are successful no matter what your band is doing. Play gigs, teach, do various things to make money doing what you know.

Will you make great, 6-figure salaries as consistently as if you went into some other field? (interactive, game design, medical) - probably not. But, you make it what it is...
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by pressyre
I'm looking to get some opinions about going to music schools such as Berklee College of Music. Of course their websites are going to be blasting information at you about why they're so awesome, but I'd like to hear some real people's views on things such as this.

Are they really worth attending or will I be kicking myself in the ass down the line for wasting money? These places offer all sorts of majors ranging from composition/song writing to performance to recording to education. I'd definitely want to focus more on the performance or song writing aspect of it all.

The question is, will these places really advance you as a musician or is just some sort of money sink designed to attract younger aspiring musicians?

This is coming from somebody graduating next semester.

My teachers say that when they sign freshmen into their classes, they ask them and EVERYBODY says they know "music", thats the first mistake.

At the beginning they are going to get you in shape. They'll make sure you can sight read or sight sing anything, notate all major and minor chords and that you understand the construction of chords, etc. Then you'll move to theory I.

Everything happens too fast. They will give you the information and tools to "advance you as a musician" but its up to you that your are doing the work. Its not just reading once through a book and you'll get it. Everything is hands on. It takes lots of time and lots of practice.

These school are not design just to attract young aspiring musicians. I have my doubts on those Chord Institute or Schools of Rock where they teach you how to become a rockstar.... come on... srly?

Composing and performance are a very common thing. Its not like you wanna be some sort of atonal, post-modern theorist/performer. You'll find your "career" at any school with a music department, not just Berklee. So you are good to start.

Good luck