Hello. I own a Fender MIM Strat, and the pickups that came on it are great, but I'm looking for something more. I really want to aim for David Gilmour's tone, probably from Marooned, http://youtube.com/watch?v=3W6hBI1SAL4 , and of course the tone from Comfortably Numb and the like.

If you can help, I'd appreciate it.
Quote by third-eye
Hello. I own a Fender MIM Strat, and the pickups that came on it are great, but I'm looking for something more. I really want to aim for David Gilmour's tone, probably from Marooned, http://youtube.com/watch?v=3W6hBI1SAL4 , and of course the tone from Comfortably Numb and the like.

If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Probably these:

David Gilmour
Head over to gilmourish.com

You won't need a $3000 HiWatt. For his live tone in the late 80's and 90's Gilmour used EMG's, that same set that you can buy. Nowadays he's back to passives live and in the studio with his main black Strat he's had since Live at Pompeii. Your best bet I think would either be the '69 Custom Shop pickups or the '54 Custom Shops. I can't remember now which ones would nail the tone better, I think it was the '54s anyways that guy on Gilmourish.com has a ton of info and it'll answer all your questions. A Fender tube amp will be able to nail his sound pretty well. He's used Fender amps. Your main area of concern should be pickups and effects. The HiWatts have a very high clean headroom, they don't OD on their own easily. Gilmour used pedals such as Fuzz Face in the early 70's, Big Muff in the late 70's (Comf. Numb solo!), and now uses Pete Cornish pedals to get his OD tone on his HiWatts so keep that in mind. Its a different approach. Anyways that site will have it all. Good luck
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Feb 24, 2008,
I think D.G often goes for Lace Sensors, though I'm not sure what he used for On An Island. Brilliant album though...

Gilmourish.com goes into a lot more detail, give them a try before you look anywhere else.