I am 13 and still growing, and I have a large palm but slightly short fingers, and i am having trouble playing power-chords because i can only use my first finger and my pinky. Can anyone tell me how to play them properly with 3 fingers? and how do you play those octave chords like the ones in the verse and intro of blinded in chains by A7x.

thanks

slight guitar noob
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
First and third fingers.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
To play three-note powerchords, you're supposed to use your first finger, your ring finger, and your pinky finger.

So if, for instance, it was a C5, you'd fret the C note with your first finger, the G note with your ring finger, and the other C note with your pinky finger.
Color
is
subjective.
Quote by The Con
To play three-note powerchords, you're supposed to use your first finger, your ring finger, and your pinky finger.

So if, for instance, it was a C5, you'd fret the C note with your first finger, the G note with your ring finger, and the other C note with your pinky finger.

That's how I learned how to do it. The other way way very uncomfortable to me. Either that or I just used to use 2 finger power chords because my hands were small too.
I use my first and my third does a semi barre. But if 1,3, and 4 are more comfortable its not wrong.

And octave chords would be

D--7-
A--x-
E--5-

You can use your third finger for the d, first for e, and 2nd to mute. Or you can just use your fingers for the strings then switch to a pick when they're over. (thats what I do)
yea use ur pointer, ring and pinky.

and i see ur an A7X fan, they are a great band dont let any snotty know it all "musical geniuses" on this website tell you otherwise. Im goin to see them march 10th arent you jeaaalous?
ya i do the same thing but it depends on the chord and how long uve been playing but personally....i like the pointer on the root note and the index barreing the next 2....
Quote by FloubasFlemanca
and i see ur an A7X fan, they are a great band dont let any snotty know it all "musical geniuses" on this website tell you otherwise.

+tells you otherwise+

Quote by blayzin420
ya i do the same thing but it depends on the chord and how long uve been playing but personally....i like the pointer on the root note and the index barreing the next 2....

You know that the pointer and index are the same thing right?

I usually fret the root with my index and use my pinky to barre the 5th and octave.
As for octave chords, I mute the middle string with the index as well as playing the root with it.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
lol w/e pointer and ring then....itll be a lil bit of a stretch when u first start...but its a good position if u wanna play alot of metal and emo