Everyone thinks (including myself) that all my solos sound the same. They're just the same boring pentatonic licks over and over. I play hard rock/metal and I've been playing for about 2 years now. I can't shred really but I can do a medium pace classic rock type solo (think paranoid solo, thats about my skill level). What can I do to give some variety to my solos and what are some good scales/modes besides the pentatonic, minor, and phrygian (my main 3 that I'm sick of)? Some of my favorite bands are Death, Metallica, Testament, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, Slayer, Black Sabbath, Anthrax, Morbid Angel, Pantera, Celtic Frost, and Sepultura. Thanks. Oh, also, my band is covering Walk by Pantera and I have no idea what scales I should use to improvise over that.
You could try learning the Harmonic Minor scale, it's just the Natural Minor with the raised 7th rather than flattened 7th. Also, try adding different tecniques (tapping, legato, bending etc) to your soloing if you haven't already.
screaming bends are cool too. but i basically have the same problem that you have. if they are all sounding the same, then you are probably staying in the same solo position. you can't think vertically on the neck, you have to think horizontally.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.