i was bored so i decided to try improvising with some new and different scales but i was running into a problem. i can just look at a scale and play the notes but i was having a hard time making any music out of it. im not surprised at the problem or anything it makes perfect sense to me but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to apply the notes in a scale effectively to make something the sounds good. its not that hard to do with scales like the major or minor pentatonic but just the enigmatic for example was giving me a hard time.
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
Become proficient with the major scale and its modes, the harmonic minor, the minor and major pentatonic scales, and the blues scale before you start worrying about something like enigmatic.

Write some chord in powertab or get a loop going and just play for many hours.
Write some chord in powertab or get a loop going and just play for many hours.

ive tried that before and it does help a lot but the problem for me is that i know nothing about chords and i dont know how to make progressions for specific scales in specific keys and what not.
Quote by loganrocksabass

Something like the enigmatic is tough to use because as listeners we're not all that familiar with it's use in music. I've experimented with whole tone stuff and it sounds unusual but I still like it.

An easy way to get used to the sound of a scale is to play with it over the scale's tonal center. So if it like an E enigmatic scale, try hiting your low E string as a drone and play the scale on the other strings. Or if you have the capability, set up a backing track with just a E bass note repeating and play the scale over that. That will help you get and idea about the harmonic and melodic possibilities - the flavor of that scale, so to speak. Then try adding other notes from the scale to the backing part.
Quote by ratm92
i know nothing about chords and i dont know how to make progressions for specific scales in specific keys and what not.
Then read the "learn your theory" link in my sig!
ah, genius! ive looked at the before but its a bit overwhelming...

guess i need to learn it at some point though
Quote by loganrocksabass

can someone just give me some chord progressions i can play over so i can learn the major scale in some keys other than C?

EDIT: or perhaps a link to a site that has chord loops, i know there out there but i dont remember where to find any
Quote by loganrocksabass

Last edited by ratm92 at Feb 29, 2008,