Hello, I am a huge Slash fan and in this video of Guns N Roses - Civil War, It appears that Slash is using a Ernie Ball Volume pedal as a Wah-Wah pedal? I have seen ads that EB is coming out with a Black Wah-Wah pedal but I was wondering 1# if this is a Ernie Ball Volume pedal that Slash had modified to be a Wah-Wah, and 2# how could I get one and get it modified?

I am currently using a Cry Baby Wah-Wah pedal and it is a decent pedal but it doesn't get the "range" I would like, So I was wondering if a modified volume pedal would do the trick because it has a larger "range" so it would do a longer wah-wah?

Here is the video, I am positive that it is a Ernie Ball volume pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoDKldosXk

Watch between 00:22 - 00:25 seconds on the video for the first look at the pedal.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Last edited by Benguitar2 at Feb 24, 2008,
Slash uses a Crybaby Rack Wah, which is essentially a modded crybaby housed in a rack unit. The EB pedal simply controls the rack unit, it doesn't have any wah circuitry in it.

If you aren't happy with your wah, there are tons of wah pedals out there, try some new ones out. Some will have a pot to control the range of the sweep, maybe look for one of those.
Quote by jammin
Slash uses a Crybaby Rack Wah, which is essentially a modded crybaby housed in a rack unit. The EB pedal simply controls the rack unit, it doesn't have any wah circuitry in it.

If you aren't happy with your wah, there are tons of wah pedals out there, try some new ones out. Some will have a pot to control the range of the sweep, maybe look for one of those.

AH! Thank you, I have seen the Cry Baby Wah-Wah Racks but I am not to sure what they are? I think they are just a Wah-Wah unit that you can control the range and tone etc on it and then run a Volume pedal through it to control it?

YES there are TONS of Wah-Wah pedals out there do you have any suggestions on one with a LARGE range? Or if I am looking to replicate Slash's Wah tone should I just get a Cry Baby Wah-Wah rack and a EB volume pedal or the Slash model Cry Baby Wah-Wah pedal?
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
The rack wah is based on the Crybaby design, but allows for a much more customized wah tone. It sells for $600, which could buy you a much nicer wah pedal with some cash left over.

The rack unit appeals to big touring players like Slash for two main reasons. The first is that many headliners have their whole rig in a giant rack, with all their sounds controlled via midi commands. To add an extra 200' or so of cable to a large stage for one wah pedal would be a huge tone sucker. By putting it in the rack, the actual signal only has to travel and extra foot or so, and the expression pedal has no effect on tone. The second reason is that the rack wah allows three or four expression pedals to be connected to it, so on a huge stage the guitarist can get to one for his solos wherever he is on stage.

As for recommendations, I'm not a big wah fan, but the ones I list below are always favourites for tweakability.

High Budget
Low Budget