Hi guys, I always wanted to form a Worship band and just let my music be heard and touch other people. I'm not that close to God yet but once I get things in order I hope it will work out. I just wanna play, all day. Nothing more. So the reason I wanted to pick up guitar is because if I had a band I don't know how guitarists think. I just play violin and now learning bass and my knowledge of theory can only take me so far. I need you help in what do bands or guitarists do when writing a song. Just play chords that sound good? I figured the best way to find out is by trying it yourself.

How do guitarists think? Any formula? I'm totally lost when it comes to how guitarists do what they do best.
they listen. at least thats what i do. i listen to the other instruments and i can hear what the guitar should be doing or how the vocals should go. but when starting from the ground up i usually listen to a song i like, or find something in a song that really catches my attention, and try to mimic it without looking it up on tabs. Of course its gonna be wrong but mistakes make music. I just jam with that mistake. Different things that compliment the sound kinda just come natural. Idk. i cant really think of a formula.
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

i play a random note then i think of a good note that would come after that and i play that one then i repeat the process until i have a melody then after that i will add style to emphsize what i feel at the time
1.Make good riff.
2.Create variations.
3.Create other parts.
4.Create solo backing.
5.Create solo.
6.Make good end.
7.?
8.Profit?
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Thanks for everyones replies.

Quote by Mettliccaa
1.Make good riff.
2.Create variations.
3.Create other parts.
4.Create solo backing.
5.Create solo.
6.Make good end.
7.?
8.Profit?

First off..+1 for the SP reference! lol. I think I'm looking way into it. I mean w/theory there is 4 part harmonies and blah, but you think by trying to apply theory, it takes away the basic essentials of making a song?
Not fully understanding your question(if it is a question lol) but i'll try.

I think theory is great. I use it all the time. Often as a starting point for a song but as it seems to progress into the song there are a lot of places where it won' flow with theory(sometimes).

I have a friend who knows absolutely nothing about theory yet he creates way better songs than an other bass player I know who knows a lot about theory.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by AfroSamuari
Thanks for everyones replies.

First off..+1 for the SP reference! lol. I think I'm looking way into it. I mean w/theory there is 4 part harmonies and blah, but you think by trying to apply theory, it takes away the basic essentials of making a song?

in essence, theory is supposed to give you knowledge about the relationships between notes. When playing most good guitarists, to the best of my knowledge are not thinking in theoretical terms, the theory is a guide to what can be played at what time, but during actual play the guitarist thinks in terms of sound.
Quote by farcry
in essence, theory is supposed to give you knowledge about the relationships between notes. When playing most good guitarists, to the best of my knowledge are not thinking in theoretical terms, the theory is a guide to what can be played at what time, but during actual play the guitarist thinks in terms of sound.

That said, sound can be described in terms of theory. So when I play, say, a minor 7th, I know it's a minor 7th because of the tension it creates.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Play what sounds good to you.

I personally find Worship bands to be hollow in nature before I am informed that they are a Worship band. It's just something about them...Like they're not playing for the love of the game...They're more performers than anything, and I can feel that in the music. This, and the following, however, is just my personal opinion, and you don't have to take it as...gospel (Sorry, couldn't think of a better word).

Music isn't something you can use to illustrate a point. You can do that with lyrics, but not with music. Music is its own entity that one CAN use to express themselves in an artistic fashion, perhaps to the purpose of alliterating your love for your god, but that's going to work as well as if Leonardo Da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa to display his love of Absinthe. Art is an intangible thing with no master, no servant, and no following. Music doesn't touch people, you do.

Sure, we've all heard a beautiful riff or solo and thought to ourselves, "This is the music that defines me as a person", and that's fine. If you have that much appreciation for the music, then that's great, but it's not going to affect what people think about anything, except that they might feel good about themselves when that song plays. Other than that, there is no way to get a point across with actual music. It is what it is: Beautiful, artistic, non-intrusive, and unbiased.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Last edited by RockerPseudonym at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Mettliccaa
1.Make good riff.
2.Create variations.
3.Create other parts.
4.Create solo backing.
5.Create solo.
6.Make good end.
7.?
8.Profit?

very nice! kudos
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Personally i play what i feel. I learned theory to an extent and i SHOULD learn more to further improve my playing, but i've made at least like 20 songs in my lifetime that came from the the top of my head. It's what i felt at the time. Everything i knew culminated at that point that i made the song.

If you want to know a formula: There isn't one. Guitarists differ in every way. I do suggest looking up tabs for beginning guitarists, it's a starting point (to those who think you should go by ear, it may take a lifetime for the inexperienced). From there, play random notes. You'll eventually get an ear to what sounds good to YOU, not to everyone else....

On a side note, F you to any band that plays/changes their music just because that's what the crowd wants to hear.

ANd that's my rant... Back to my rum i go.
Class of 2010

University of California, Santa Barbara