... do you reach over the top of the neck with your thumb and mute the 6th string? or do you just skip it while strumming? I'm kind of at a point where while I'm learning it I can either learn it one way or the other and am curious to which one would be better for playing... unless its just a matter of personal preference.
I skip it. It's just easier.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
i just skip it
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Depends on how good your picking hand is I guess. I mute the 6th string on chords where I dont use it. I just reach my thumb up real briefly, then place it back behind the neck of the guitar when I'm done.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
pretty much personal preference, but it will help you later on to just skip the 6th string, or mute it with the tip of ur ring finger
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Skipping it is easier for myself but it depends on what you feel more comfortable with.
Quote by Mud Martian
Dont be an idiot! The only way staying awake for three days could be anywhere near beneficial is if you are,

A) Writing a hit album.
B) Behind enemy lines.
C) Writing a hit album behind enemy lines!
I either mute it with the edge of my ring finger or just avoid hitting the low E- I don't use my thumb at all for a C chord.
Quote by icon_player_5
pretty much personal preference, but it will help you later on to just skip the 6th string, or mute it with the tip of ur ring finger

I was going to edit my post but this is what i do now that i think about it. i mute it with the tip of my ring finger. it just comes natural i guess i dont really think about it.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
You could skip it, mute it with your thumb or mute it with a finger on the left hand. Best just to skip it though it will keep it sounding a bit more pure.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
hmmm... i think i'll practice with both lol... seems like it can come in handy sometimes but others its not needed. thanks all for the fast responses!
it would sound fine if you hit it, seeing as how the low E would just be a major 3rd of the chord...
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Your thumb is a very useful finger- its not just for holding the neck. I use it for muting and sometimes even holding down a note for tougher chords that use the low string..The Page man and hendrix did this im sure countless other guitarists did too, but its just preference.
cheers betch
Quote by j.pagejr.
Your thumb is a very useful finger- its not just for holding the neck. I use it for muting and sometimes even holding down a note for tougher chords that use the low string..The Page man and hendrix did this im sure countless other guitarists did too, but its just preference.

thats actually where I saw it... watching Jimi's vids (but I guess he was muting/fretting the first string?)

the reason i ask is b/c Ive read so many articles on hand posture and thumb placement and how important it is to be set in the exact spot blah blah blah... but when I went to watch vids of the greats, they weren't following any of the "important rules"
Last edited by Wiggly at Feb 24, 2008,
Yeah actually I guess I do skip it while muting the 6th string. It's like a reference point for where my right hand starts picking, I guess.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
I usually use my thumb cause i'm not great at skipping it, sometimes I also use the tip or my ring finger.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
You can mute it, but i prefer playing it like this

E|----------|----------|----------|----------|
B|-----1---|----------|----------|----------|
G|----------|----------|----------|----------|
D|----------|-----2---|----------|----------|
A|----------|----------|-----3----|----------|
E|----------|----------|-----4----|----------|
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Quote by Forgotmyid
You can mute it, but i prefer playing it like this

E|----------|----------|----------|----------|
B|-----1---|----------|----------|----------|
G|----------|----------|----------|----------|
D|----------|-----2---|----------|----------|
A|----------|----------|-----3----|----------|
E|----------|----------|-----4----|----------|

same
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by HardAttack
Yeah actually I guess I do skip it while muting the 6th string. It's like a reference point for where my right hand starts picking, I guess.

pretty much what i do also, plus stops it sounding awful when the inevitable mistake of hittin the 6th happens
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
I always automatically mute the 6th string with my thumb on any chord which doesn't use it. I play barre chords with my thumb anyway so it's no extra effort.
Mute it with the fretting finger nearest to the string. So for barre chords I just touch the E string with the tip of my index finger..much batter than using your thumb.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Some people do play the low E, by the way.

Well you fret the 3rd with your pinky.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I skip it but sometimes when i start strumming really hard i mute it with my thumb. Even if you don't mute it and you hit it....it doesn't really matter.
Skipping or muting it with the tip of your fretted finger will work fine. Personally, I haven't had much use for using my thumb.
Mute it with my thumb, I guess it just came naturally like that.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Mute it with my thumb usually, same for A, D etc
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
pends what you're using it for in my opinion, if you mute the string it ll give you more base and sound like a bigger cord than it is like to end a song but other than that its just a waste of time reaching all the way around which i find hard to do sometimes which i find hard sometimes cuz im 13
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
for a C chord i use my pinky and place it over the 6th string
for every other chord that needs muted strings i use my thumb or i just skip it
Gear:
LTD MH-1000