Page 1 of 2
i love hendrix and want to get a setup to achieve his kind of sound where to start?
you could look at the signature hendrix pedals from dunlop: the wah, the fuzzface, and the octavio. There pretty expensive, so theres definitely gonna be some more cost efficient solutions out there
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
A dying marshall + vox wah + silicon fuzz + octave.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i've considered the experience pedal but that alot of money for one pedal
Quote by uncboy19
i've considered the experience pedal but that alot of money for one pedal

It depends how much you want to spend. You can get a pedal like that, and sound half like hendrix, or spend 15 times as much(or more) and sound really close to hendrix. If you like the tones, that pedal is a good bet.
yeah i forgot to mention the marshall
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
i highly suggest the Jimi hendrix pedal that is linked above for 200$. i bought one when i first started playing and if you got a tube amp, the models sound just like the recordings. however once i started working i purchased some equipment modelled after his such as the Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz and Fulltone Clyde Wah. If you dont have a lot of money for pedals just get the purple hendrix pedal. it can get extremely expensive otherwise.
If you got the money, its pretty easy to get a tone like his.

Overdriven british voiced amp (Older marshalls like the plexi etc, Hendrix used the superlead I think, a plexi kit will be good too, especially a low wattage one, as real plexis do not sound great until cranked)(Orange rocker 30)

Fender strat, I recomend changing Pups, Rockmonkey pups are meant to be great, and if you speak with CordureyEW(sp? the guy that makes the pups) he can recomend and help you get the best set for hendrix.

A vintage voiced fuzz (by vintage, I mean a big muff will not get a convincing hendrix tone) the roger mayer axis fuzz sounds great for his tones.

A vintage voiced wah, either a Fulltone Clyde/Clyde deluxe or a RMC Picture wah is probably the best new option to go for, both are great and IMO probably the best wah's in production for non-high gain tones (i.e metal)

If however you are not made of money, a cheaper british voiced amp such as the Laney VC30 (if your in england) or one of the Palomino amps (im not sure on actual models), a strat of some kind, a vintage voiced fuzz (I DONT recomend the re-issue fuzz face, it does not sound like the original that hendrix used) and a cheaper wah (Do not get the crybaby, the Vox v847 is a better choice IMO)
a friend of mine gets a great hendrix tone from a cheap zoom fuzz (sounds great), a cheap old wah, and a behringer phase shifter, through a laney amp (valved, not sure what model) and a std. strat with a mini humbucker in the bridge, and a whammy bar.

it is SUCH a great tone, and i have played aroudn with it many times and can get the greatest tones out of the pedals.

of course he as a switcher so the cheap pedals don't suck his tone.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Hendrix Experience is kind of a rip off, IMO. Hendrix didn't have one tone for his songs, and varies, if you check out his live recordings. I don't even think it's that accurate.

I'd shy away from it, honestly.

Im with you on that.
Modelling pedals arent that nice man.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
idk, it sounds really nice for the hobbyist. Buts srsly does it have a Wah in it? it looks like a wah pedal so I'm wondering whether to buy that or get a wah pedal and a big muff+fuzz
Quote by voodoochildsr22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip78x6r5aF8

and if you dont think that sounds like Hendrix.....well...just watch the link

too much fuzz on Little Wing and Bold as Love settings. The rest were was O.K.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by Roc8995
Of course it could have been the guy playing, his arms were pretty skinny

yeah having huge arms makes you a better player

ps. yes im skinny
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Dude...you can't BE Hendrix. Those tones come pretty close....it's way better than what you guys are saying about it.

You said it was going to sound EXACTLY like hendrix. I called BS, and I'll stand behind that. It doesn't. You can say it sounds pretty close, and I might agree, but you did say exactly, and that's not even close to true.
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Ok....well then why don't you get a time machine...go back to 1969 and steal Hendrix's pedals smart guy.

weeell you really would need to steel his hands and soul instead of equipment
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Oh and by the way...this was the topic on Best Hendrix setups...and I'm pretty sure that's the best for the money.

That is not what I was arguing. I was simply not convinced that the hendrix pedal sounded exactly like him, as you claimed. I am sorry we don't agree. That's all
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Funny...there is no Bold As Love setting on it. Do what you guys want but that works for me....it's a really great pedal.
You can also tweak he fuzz and whatnot on it...that guy probably just didnt know how to set it up

oh im sorry...its Foxy lady. I knew I was missing something
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
roc8995 you really come off as a douche in this topic. i have the pedal and it sounds a lot better than it does on that youtube video. the all along the watch tower sounded weird because its kinda hard to duplicate a 12 string accoustic on a 6 string electric, but seeming as you have the knowledge to life you kinda knew that. that pedal is the closest and cheapest thing i have seen to get to hendrix's tones other than purchasing a marshall stack with an axis fuzz *which i own* and a Vox Wah.
i just started using it again to check it out cuz my fulltone clyde doesnt like to play voodoo child the way i want it to play. imagine that a 200$ wah doesnt get the wah sound that it should be getting
haha nah i dont think roc was being a douche in the topic...the pedal sounded pretty bad it that video...at least for me...might sound a lot better with the right eq and playing, i have no say in that since ive never played it...but judging from that video, i wouldnt get it
^funny cuz judging from when i saw that video over a year ago, i bought it.
well....thats what i said I PERSONALLY wouldnt buy it based on that video
i sure will....im curious now
^like hendrix... oh wait i cant say that i might be attacked by cokroc
Quote by culkid
roc8995 you really come off as a douche in this topic. i have the pedal and it sounds a lot better than it does on that youtube video. the all along the watch tower sounded weird because its kinda hard to duplicate a 12 string accoustic on a 6 string electric, but seeming as you have the knowledge to life you kinda knew that. that pedal is the closest and cheapest thing i have seen to get to hendrix's tones other than purchasing a marshall stack with an axis fuzz *which i own* and a Vox Wah.

I don't think Roc came off as a douche at all. I found his observations to be quite astute.

If you like the pedal, that's fine. But this is a forum, where we are allowed to discuss ideas and opinions. And Roc, and myself, both find the pedal to be lacking in the Hendrix department. I can get very "Hendrix-y" tones without it, from other pedals that are useful for more than just Hendrix covers.
I've deleted most of my posts in this thread. I'll stand behind what I said but I've not had the best day and I'd rather err on the side of not offending people.
I do have this to say: unless I misunderstand or misread, my only mistake was calling out a user for some claims I did not believe. I may have been overly harsh, but I trust my ears. I do not think the pedal mentioned is a particularly good one. I will make it a point the next time I am in a shop to do a lengthy test to make sure I am not mistaken.
PS Feb 08ers should really calm down.
Quote by voodoochildsr22
That's very true....you are allowed to discuss your opinions on a matter.

That hendrix pedal is definately more useful than just Hendrix covers....I've been using it for loads of stuff....the effects really sound great to me. Just because it's an "artist" pedal...does not mean it's only used for the artists songs.....any pedal can be used for anything you want. It's how you use it that really matters.

It also didn't seem like you were familiar with the pedal anyways...and you both made reviews on it even before you heard it...that's no better than any of the other UG members on here...you TRY the pedal first before you review it...it's a simple thing to do. Just because you hear it in a YOUTUBE video...does not mean that that represents something very accurate. I've seen people that have made the BEST guitars/amps/effects sound the crappiest I've ever heard. Its about how you use it.

You also stated that "hendrix didn't use only one tone for all his songs" in your first posting...before you heard the pedal. The experience pedal is a myriad of tones....a lot of different effects are combined in that pedal...and it shows...you can get many different tones from it...so I don't see how you both can judge something just because you heard one youtube video of it from some gay guy with skinny arms who supposably doesn't have a correct picking method? Come on now...what's wrong with this picture?

Actually, I have tried it. Don't make assumptions. It's not that great of a pedal, and isn't worthy of being called a "Signature artist" pedal. It doesn't clean up like a real fuzz face does, and it doesn't react to picking dynamics like a real fuzz face, for one thing.

The only Digitech "signature" pedal I think is worth anything is the Brian May Red Special. That one is pretty darn accurate. Closest thing I'll ever get to replicating his studio tones.

And I base my opinion that he didn't have just one tone for a particular song off the many bootlegs I have of his work. If you compare his various versions of Izabella, you'll find that there's a great variation in how his wah solo sounds.
^Right...And I think that a good fuzz face (Which can take less than 40 bucks to build yourself) + a wah with a buffer will better replicate Hendrix's tone than that pedal.

That pedal does not sound EXACTLY like Hendrix, like you claimed. So I disputed your point, and said that the pedal wasn't worth it. Which I stand by...
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Ok well as mr hendrix jr. stated....no combinations of pedals will make you sound exactly like hendrix....

To me...it sounds very close to Hendrix...I also play through a JCM900 stack...which makes the tone even better. It sounds as close as I could get it without actually owning the fuzz face and other effects he used....and that's perfectly fine with me. I'd rather own a pedal that can produce a sound very close in my opinion than none at all.

Besides....you claim it doesn't sound like hendrix....however...many other people have tried them and claim the total opposite....it's just a matter of opinion really.

Yeah, like I said, that's fine if you like it, and you think it reproduces the sound.
I'm just offering my opinion - sure it differs with yours. It's my opinion. I don't know why you're being so defensive to just tear anyone else who disagrees with you down.

My only point being that you said it sounds EXACTLY like him, but it doesn't. So, I said it wasn't worth it. I'd rather have a Fuzz Face that can do Hendrix, and responds like a Fuzz Face (That's a very essential part of Hendrix's tone. Picking dynamics affect the FF a lot. That was a point Roc was trying to get across), and that can do more tones, like SRV, Trower, ZZ Top, or other ones.
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Also...you may think that Brian May Signature is very accurate...but someone else tomorrow could tell you it's complete crap and a waste of money...is that going to affect anything for you? Probably not....you'll probably just debate against them whether or not that is true.

No...I'll just accept it. That's their opinion.
Besides, Brian May himself can't recreate the tones he made on the record - I know I could never do it. From a bunch of live recordings I have of Queen, he doesn't even try to replicate. He just rocks out.

Quote by voodoochildsr22
It's opinions dude...not facts.

Isn't that what I've been saying?

Quote by voodoochildsr22
None of those signature pedals will exactly replicate anyone's tone....to do so....youd need their exact amp, guitars, pedals, playing style...etc. They're just meant for fun and recreational use....not to ACTUALLY be or play exactly like them in any way.

I never said it would exactly replicate their tone. You did. I disagreed with that, offering an alternative that I felt would better replicate the tone.

Quote by voodoochildsr22
Just because a pedal doesn't sound exactly like an artist...doesn't mean it's not worth it. Do you think that Brian May pedal sounds EXACTLY like him? probably not...so maybe that pedal isn't worth it either....

This is just going by your mindset.

The Red Special pedal is a different kind of beast, actually. Brian May actually played a big part in its making. That's different than some sound engineer.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by voodoochildsr22
I think the way you acted towards the situation(both of you) is definately very douchy. You guys really need to relax about it....just because someone says something about a pedal...something as little as the word exactly...doesn't mean you have to pick apart something that deserves a little more respect. I'm sure the engineers who designed it worked pretty damn hard on it....it's not an easy task to do--duplicating Hendrix's tone...of course there will be upsides and downsides to it.

Actually, I was never really worked up about it - I just have nothing better to do at work. You're the one who got really defensive, and probably the one who needs to cool down a bit.

Sorry if I came off as douchey to you - I guess I just never thought a bit of a debate and difference of opinions made me an asshole.

And the sound engineers probably DID do a lot of work. But why work on THIS "signature" model? Because it's Hendrix's name. The Experience Hendrix foundation has made a lot of poor choices in the last couple of years, and just stamping Hendrix's name on their products because they know it'll sell because of that.
In the last few years, there's been Jimi Hendrix strings, pedals, and energy drinks. Fo' srsly. Are they all worthy of carrying his legacy? I don't think so.

Quote by voodoochildsr22
I apologize for saying "exactly"...next time...I just won't post anything at all....you people are ridiculous...you think you know everything on here....you're 20...I'm 20....I know a lot but I can admit I don't know everything. What I do know is that I'm not spending any more of my time on this stupid forum...it's ridiculous....it's HENDRIX! Give him some more respect...it's a pedal based on him....who cares if you can't get that actual 60's EXACT tone?

Well, good luck. Sorry that because someone disagreed with you, it's ruined your experience here. Heh. Experience.
....there is jimi hendrix signature energy drinks?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Actually, I was never really worked up about it - I just have nothing better to do at work. You're the one who got really defensive, and probably the one who needs to cool down a bit.

Sorry if I came off as douchey to you - I guess I just never thought a bit of a debate and difference of opinions made me an asshole.

And the sound engineers probably DID do a lot of work. But why work on THIS "signature" model? Because it's Hendrix's name. The Experience Hendrix foundation has made a lot of poor choices in the last couple of years, and just stamping Hendrix's name on their products because they know it'll sell because of that.
In the last few years, there's been Jimi Hendrix strings, pedals, and energy drinks. Fo' srsly. Are they all worthy of carrying his legacy? I don't think so.

Well, good luck. Sorry that because someone disagreed with you, it's ruined your experience here. Heh. Experience.

There will always be people who cash in on big hits like hendrix and other artists....it's how the world is. I'm sure the hendrix experience foundation is not the only one that's done this.
2006 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 Top w/birds
1999 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top w/ birds
Marshall JCM900 Half Stack
Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Boss RC-2, AC-2, FZ-3, TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Page 1 of 2