This discussion is related to your favorite bands. I'm bringing it up here because I personally know people who are of the opinions I'm about to describe, and I'd like to get a broad range of perspectives from music fans. Plus, I'm very bored.

A) Say there's a kick-ass local band that's becoming pretty big. They play genuinely good music, but you've never actually seen the band members. You end up going to a show, and a few of the members are wearing clothing from stores such as American Eagle and Hollister. Does this affect your opinion of how serious they are about their music?

B) There's a new band with one official release out. They're not mainstream yet, but just beneath the radar. They have a large cult following, and you're very into them. They do an interview with some music magazine/TV show, and many of the influences they name are very popular mainstream acts like, oh, let's say...System of a Down, Disturbed, or just for the fun of it even Blink-182. Granted, their music doesn't sound like these groups, but this is the music the band members say they're into, and you're definitely not. Does this change the way you look at the band, even though their music remains the same?

C) Let's elaborate on the above scenario. They're doing a TV interview, they talk about those bands, and they're wearing American Eagle and Hollister. Now, is your opinion changed?

D) Let's say you love this band that plays heavy music. You're an angry, disgruntled young person (imagine that). You expect that the band feels much the same way. You meet the band, talk with them a bit, and discover they're all mellow guys who simply enjoy playing that form of music. Let's even say that on their tour bus system is a country mix CD. Do you continue to listen to them, or do you no longer feel connected with them because of their personalities?

I ask these questions because, as I said, I personally know people who would abandon bands based on things they say in interviews, personal beliefs, and the worst of them all, the way they dress. It just seems so ridiculous to me. Personally, I'm not affected by what a band members' favorite bands are, or where they shop. I think more people need to JUST LISTEN TO THE MUSIC and quit being so nit-picky about these things.

Opinions?
Quote by rocktolive
One time, I swear my PB&J sandwich talked to me... maybe it was food poisoning?
I wouldn't like the band members, or the image of the band, but I would like their music. It wouldn't stop me from listening to them, if I enjoy their music.
None of those make a difference to me..

Now if the band members went on TV and preached about their clothes I might think they are a little cooky. But as long as they make nice music then I'm fine. I don't have to like them as people.
I wouldn't stop listening to a particular band because of those reasons, but i might lose a bit of respect for the actual members.
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
if music is good, it's good. i don't know what american eagle or holister is but anyone who doesn't like a band because of clothes, influences or anything else is just really really really really really really insecure. same as people who don't like emo bands or whatever the latest thing that everyone hates on is. granted, a lot of them suck balls but there are still some awesome musicians who feel the need to embrace the emo scene. i thinks it's all down to labelling. if people stopped segregating music into all these sub-genres the good stuff would be appreciated more. people are naturally inclined to become part of a certain group, and consequently hate outsiders. on the broader scale it can be seen in things like racism, or religious conflicts.
A. Meh, the thing about the clothes would make me suspicious about how serious they were, but I would try not to let that change how I felt about them.

B. I...actually really like...all those bands you said... And a lot of bands listen to some weird crap that doesn't sound anything like them.

C. Again, I'd try not to let it get to me. However, if and when they started going all poppy and crap *cough*lostprophets*cough* then I would say "Well, that's the reason right there."

D. What does them being mellow have to do with anything? Dimebag was the most laid-back motherfucker ever. I mean, come on! The thing with the country CD would bother me though. If it was Johnny Cash country, that'd be okay, but if they were fucking listening to Rascal Flatts? I don't think I'd be able to listen to them anymore without that coming to mind.
Nope, wouldn't bother me.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
none of those would bother me too much except the last one. if they are playing some type of music, and singing about some certain theme, but have no real connection to it, or feel any real emotion about it, i would lose some respect. to me that would just make them posers. i might not stop listening to them, but it would definitely affect how i view them.
It might make a little bit of difference. Not necessarily the situations you mention, because I'm not that picky. But at the same time, the band's personality does change how I perceive the music, for better or for worse.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
A) I dont think it should matter how they dress. I wear those clothes and i love music and i love all types of music. If people want to judge then i guess its their loss.

B) If those bands are the influences to the members and its helping them make the music they are making then more power to them, i hope they keep on listening to it.

C) I guess my answer for A should have actually gone here but oh well.

D) Well, after jammin with my friend ive noticed that its hard to just playy one genre for me so i couldnt be to angry at the band. Some days i might feel like making some metal music, other days im in the mood for Jack Johnson. Its kinda ridiculous to think that everyone only likes one type of music.

Nice questions
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Last edited by jxmxaxn at Feb 24, 2008,
[A] No, I couldn't really care less about what they are wearing as long as they have a respect for, and play kickass music.
Again, no, doesnt make a difference who their influences are, especially if they don't sound like them [ sayin its a band i'm not into ]. Hell, maybe they were influenced by them because they aim to do better
[C] Go back to A
[D] Then, yes I may lose respect for them, because if they are really happy-go-lucky people playing heavy dark music, then what they are playing is not actually how they feel, taking the emotion out of the music, therefore, to me, making it fake.
call me Shelby

As long as I like the music, I don't care what the people are like, unless they're like Axl Rose.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
I heard some guy say Killswitch Engage was mainstream radio crap. Then I saw an interview Guitar world did with them and their guitarists said they liked stuff like metallica and previously studied Jazz in college.
I don't think theyre mainstream but theyre more mainstream than most metal bands, but that hasn't stopped me from liking them. I like metallica and I think being able to play some Jazz is a plus.
A) I've seen this happen to a rather popular local band I know. I still like them.

B) Doesn't take away from the quality of their music

C) see B

D) I met the lead singer of my favorite hardcore/punk band. He's a pretty friendly, laid back guy. Same with the rest of the members. I still love the band.
I wouldn't like the band members, or the image of the band, but I would like their music. It wouldn't stop me from listening to them, if I enjoy their music.

+1
If i was worried about what type of people the bands\musicians I listen to are, i probably wouldn't be listening to much music.
i listen to the music and don't care for the artist's personal life. like movies, say you adore a certain actor's performance. then you see on some celebrity "gossip" colum that he hired a hooker and snorted crack with her. does that make his movies any worse? does it make them better?
Quote by archangels666

D. What does them being mellow have to do with anything? Dimebag was the most laid-back motherfucker ever. I mean, come on! The thing with the country CD would bother me though. If it was Johnny Cash country, that'd be okay, but if they were fucking listening to Rascal Flatts? I don't think I'd be able to listen to them anymore without that coming to mind.

Them being mellow has to do with a misconception many people seem to have about bands who play heavy music being a bunch of pissed-off dudes. And you really wouldn't be able to listen to them just because they enjoyed Rascal Flatts? I myself like them, but I'm also partial to some Burzum every now and again.

Quote by ShelbyLynn
[D] Then, yes I may lose respect for them, because if they are really happy-go-lucky people playing heavy dark music, then what they are playing is not actually how they feel, taking the emotion out of the music, therefore, to me, making it fake.

Would you really expect them to feel that way ALL THE TIME though? Everyone gets angry and stressed, and let's say that's what they choose to write about in their songs. That doesn't mean when you meet them they're going to be that way.

Quote by bendystraw
i listen to the music and don't care for the artist's personal life. like movies, say you adore a certain actor's performance. then you see on some celebrity "gossip" colum that he hired a hooker and snorted crack with her. does that make his movies any worse? does it make them better?

Excellent way of thinking about it. I've also heard it said you don't ask your dentist about their preference in clothing and movies or politics, but you'll still go to them if they do a great job.

Great responses, guys. Keep them comin'.
Quote by rocktolive
Last edited by skin_knee at Feb 24, 2008,
None of what you have listed holds any importance in regards to the music. So why would I care?
Quote by skin_knee

Would you really expect them to feel that way ALL THE TIME though? Everyone gets angry and stressed, and let's say that's what they choose to write about in their songs. That doesn't mean when you meet them they're going to be that way.

Actually, the way you described it,

Quote by skin_knee
You meet the band, talk with them a bit, and discover they're all mellow guys who simply enjoy playing that form of music.

that line in particular, makes it seem as if they would not really be able to connect to the music because they are a more mellow group of people trying to play a heavier genre of music, it just wouldnt have the same feel to it knowing that they are playing that because they simply enjoy that type of music ( all the respect to them for likeing the genre ), and not because they feel that way inside, somewhat breaking the relation between music and listener. I'm assuming ( so sue me ) that these mellow people wouldnt be as in touch with the darker side of metal. If they are in fact mellow people, and write based on their stress and anger, well then there wouldnt be too many heavy songs now would there?
call me Shelby

Last edited by ShelbyLynn at Feb 24, 2008,
Doesn't affect me and personally I don't see whats wrong with American Eagle they make nice clothing.

edit: It does make a bit of a difference to me what they wear though, if they're walking around in giant spiked boots with heavy make up and pink short shorts I'm going I'm probably going to be embarrassed that I like them.
Last edited by drunkinkoala at Feb 24, 2008,
I personally don't care what they wear, even if I wouldn't wear it. I personally don't like the look of clothes from american eagle, hollister and such but if they want to wear it, let them. And as far as music goes, I like it when people have a very wide range of musical tastes. For the personality thing its like marilyn manson. Hes supposed to be a really nice guy, which from looking at him you wouldn't expect which I think is kool because they are breaking away from the sterotypes that people have about metal bands or bands of another genre.
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
A) No, it wouldn't. I've seen several members of local bands doing just that. It doesn't affect what I think of the band at all.

B) There's a new band with one official release out. They're not mainstream yet, but just beneath the radar. They have a large cult following, and you're very into them. They do an interview with some music magazine/TV show, and many of the influences they name are very popular mainstream acts like, oh, let's say...System of a Down, Disturbed, or just for the fun of it even Blink-182. Granted, their music doesn't sound like these groups, but this is the music the band members say they're into, and you're definitely not. Does this change the way you look at the band, even though their music remains the same?

C) No, no no.

D) Again, no. I'm pretty layed back myself, and enjoy mellow music. I bust out the acoustic on occasion, god forbid. But my heart lies with, and I enjoy playing, the heavy. (Of course, the band I'm basing this on primarily writes all their lyrics about Jack the Ripper, so it's kind of stupid to expect them to actually feel that way).
no to all of the above. It's about the music not the look.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
A + B + C + D) = No.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
A) I don't about clothes.
B) I like blink-182....and (+44) AND AVA and I'm open to any kind of music
C) see A again
D) Laid-back is the way to go! And I'm not really a big fan of heavy metal... *flame shield*
Space reserved for cool quotes.
Quote by drunkinkoala
edit: It does make a bit of a difference to me what they wear though, if they're walking around in giant spiked boots with heavy make up and pink short shorts I'm going I'm probably going to be embarrassed that I like them.

Well yeah, if it's something ridiculous, then I can see how you'd be embarrassed. But we're just talking normal clothing that's considered "preppy" by most.
Quote by rocktolive
Quote by skin_knee
This discussion is related to your favorite bands. I'm bringing it up here because I personally know people who are of the opinions I'm about to describe, and I'd like to get a broad range of perspectives from music fans. Plus, I'm very bored.

A) Say there's a kick-ass local band that's becoming pretty big. They play genuinely good music, but you've never actually seen the band members. You end up going to a show, and a few of the members are wearing clothing from stores such as American Eagle and Hollister. Does this affect your opinion of how serious they are about their music?

C) Let's elaborate on the above scenario. They're doing a TV interview, they talk about those bands, and they're wearing American Eagle and Hollister. Now, is your opinion changed?

D) Let's say you love this band that plays heavy music. You're an angry, disgruntled young person (imagine that). You expect that the band feels much the same way. You meet the band, talk with them a bit, and discover they're all mellow guys who simply enjoy playing that form of music. Let's even say that on their tour bus system is a country mix CD. Do you continue to listen to them, or do you no longer feel connected with them because of their personalities?

I ask these questions because, as I said, I personally know people who would abandon bands based on things they say in interviews, personal beliefs, and the worst of them all, the way they dress. It just seems so ridiculous to me. Personally, I'm not affected by what a band members' favorite bands are, or where they shop. I think more people need to JUST LISTEN TO THE MUSIC and quit being so nit-picky about these things.

Opinions?

A) No, I don't judge people by the way they look.

B) It doesn't change the way I look at the band, usually I'm surprised the hear what my favorite band's favorite bands are.

C) No

D) I would respect them even more if they were down to earth.
Click here

no, of course not. if i was more interested in their clothes than their music, it'd be me that was shallow, not them.

nah. so what if they like different bands to me? not everyone in the world is going to like exactly the same music. it's their music that counts, not what bands they like.

nope, not really. i really don't care what people wear or listen to.

no, i'd probably feel more connected to them. i dislike people who aren't willing to be openminded about their musical taste, or who don't play for the enjoyment of doing so. and besides, you can read whatever you want into music, or any kind of art; that's half the fun of it, experiencing it in a way that is personal to you.

having said all that, i make an exception for avenged sevenfold. i don't really know about their music, but their attitude towards everything really makes me hate them. i just can't bring myself to like or support such total arseholes.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy