i know how to do pinch harmonics, but i just can't get the hang of them. does anyone have any tips on how to do them effectively. i'm a metal guitarist, and metal usually has a lot of pinch harmonics, so yeah, i'd be really grateful if someone can help me.
You know how to do them but can't get the hang of them? Could you explain what your problem is a little more clearly?
just find the sweet spot on your guitar

its not the same for all of em, depending on gain, pickup type/ placement, string size

just find a place around the pickups where you get nice, harmonics
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
just find the sweet spot on your guitar

its not the same for all of em, depending on gain, pickup type/ placement, string size

just find a place around the pickups where you get nice, harmonics

It is at the same place on all guitars. The difference is that the hardware, which most people use for reference is at different spots. To find a sweet spot, just fret a note, and then hit a harmonic at a simple fraction (like 1/2, 1/3, 1/4) of the remaining string length. Gain will bring out these harmonics, making them more audible, but not changing where they happen. Pickups will do the same thing as gain. String gauge will make it easier/harder to hit harmonics, but they will still be in the same locations. You will need to move your picking hand to repeatedly get harmonics while playing different notes.
Quote by :-D
You know how to do them but can't get the hang of them? Could you explain what your problem is a little more clearly?

what i mean is i know how they're done, but i just can't do them. no matter how much i try. I also know where to hit it on my guitar, but i just suck at pinch harmonics. i've done them a few times, but i had to try a lot. so i guess, just practice?
^Yes and lots of it.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
I find that on the bottom three strings, it's easier and better sounding to use an upstroke and hit the string with my middle finger, rather than a downstroke and my thumb, which I use on the top three strings. But I grip the pick with three fingers, so that may not work as easily for you.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by IFailedEnglish
what i mean is i know how they're done, but i just can't do them. no matter how much i try. I also know where to hit it on my guitar, but i just suck at pinch harmonics. i've done them a few times, but i had to try a lot. so i guess, just practice?

First thing, see what is best for you: how to hold the pick, where to exactly hit the string. It's important the way u hold your pick. Practicing everyday is the most important thing so what I'm going to ask u is how often do u practice and how long have u been trying to get a good pinch harmonic? If it's a week or something like that, or even a month, it's normal that u cant do that...experience also counts.

Yes, it's just practice that makes things better. That's what I tell my students. And dont give up...you don't get it right the first time, the second time and even the third time but I'm sure the fourth time you'll get it and the fifth imrpove, and the sixth improve more and more until you become a god of pinch harmonics. You know what i mean? Don't discourage cause if u try something and dont give up u do it for sure, sooner or later.
It's all practice. All you need to do is play more and put more time into concentrating on pinch harmonics. It usually takes a while to get the motion down but once you do, the rest is just finding what pitches you can produce in what places.
Find your sweet spot like everybody said, also, find a good, comfortable way to hold your pick, let enough out so you can pick, but also enough so you can slide and dig your thumbs edge at a moments notice.

Remember everything comes w/ practice, try doing chromatics using alternating b/w regular notes and pinched.
If thats too difficult at first just play chromatics all pinched. It's all in the picking hand, once you get that down, just add good vibrato.
This isn't really an advanced technique but...

The best advice is just to practice them. It's gonna be different on every guitar you play, they all have their 'sweet spots' as previous posters have put it. You've just gotta learn where those spots are...usually 3rd, 5th, 7th etc. frets on the bottom 3 strings.

Make sure you're picking technique is sorted aswell. I'm sure there's tutorials around here.

Another solution isperhaps you haven't got enough gain in your current setup either, increasing gain will make harmonics considerably easier to produce, and will sustain for longer. Higher output pickups and string gauge will also contribute towards pulling off harmonics easier.
You'll also want to add some vibrato after you hit the pinch harmonic to add some flavour to your riffs.

After a couple of months you'll find youself hitting them every time without fail. good luck bud.
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
well, to answer one question i practice every single day (i love playing guitar) and on average i practice anywhere betwen 2 and 5 hours a day. i don't really time myself. ive been practicing pinch harmonics for a about half a month. im pretty new to them. well thanks to everyone for all of your help and suggestions.
Just fret a note like normal. Put your thumb so there is very little plastic of the pick showing. Now pick the note, only hit it with your thumb right after in one smooth motion. It may help to bend the string a little or do a vibrato.
thanks for all the help, i can finally do pinch harmonics almost every time i try it. thanks to everyone.
i've been pinching for 3 years and once in awhile i dont get em so you just have to keep going at it....OH! and like that guy said it might be a gain issue!
Quote by isaac_bandits
It is at the same place on all guitars. The difference is that the hardware, which most people use for reference is at different spots. To find a sweet spot, just fret a note, and then hit a harmonic at a simple fraction (like 1/2, 1/3, 1/4) of the remaining string length. Gain will bring out these harmonics, making them more audible, but not changing where they happen. Pickups will do the same thing as gain. String gauge will make it easier/harder to hit harmonics, but they will still be in the same locations. You will need to move your picking hand to repeatedly get harmonics while playing different notes.

I think he was talking about Pinch Harmonics, which actually do require a sweet spot to be picked that is different for every guitar (generally). To play a natural harmonic you have to be at the intervals you listed and that is the same for all guitars, however, pinch harmonics can be played anywhere, but the sweet spot for picking them varies.
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive