I just don't understand the genre system of metal it so ****in confusing
some band sound like "melodeath" in one song and are classified as "metalcore" when it comes to other songs. please educate my worthless mind.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
true but it is handy knowledge i would think
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Check out the first post in the Official Recommendations thread (at the top of the page.) You'll realize that it actually does begin to make sense.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by SeanHart213
Metal is Metal

Yes, but there are plenty of elite's put there who will bash you beyond belief if you were to call a band like Killswitch Engage Metal. Personally, I think it's ridiculous, but that's just how it is.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Meh... If you ask me, the main sub-genres are:

Heavy/classic metal: the classic sound, much of the old "rock and roll" feeling, but more heavy - Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth
Thrash metal: blends a bit with heavy metal, but thrash is usually more speedy and more "weird" progressions. Metallica, Slayer
Black metal: Emperor, Immortal
Death metal: this one's rather wide, usually split between old and new - Carcass, Death and Morbid Angel are part of the old breed which can sometimes resemble rock and roll with harsh vocals, while Cannibal Corpse, Nile and Behemoth are examples of the new ones.
Melodic death metal: this one's a bit vague - Wintersun, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy
Power metal: Clean, operatic vocals. Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica

Most bands do one of these, or a blend, or something entirely different (and then they're called "progressive"). Some bands are influenced by hardcore, and some are called metalcore. You only need listen to a few metalcore songs to understand how it works. Also, many modern bands have some sort of simplified, synthed sound to them which is rather hard to explain, but I say that much of today's metal is slowly turning into nu-metal, if it's not turning into metalcore.
I'm a communist. Really.
You're worthless mind is worthless. Shove off.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
You're worthless mind is worthless. Shove off.

+1
Dean Z-X Fund: $50 out of $200 (25%)

My Gear:
Guitar: Schecter C-1 Elite
Amp: B-52 ST-6012
Pedals/Other: BOSS Dynamic Wah, BOSS Metal Zone MT-2

Massive Failure