You see the screws all around the pickguard?
After removing the strings, pulling the knobs off (just like you say - directly upward), and removing the selector switch head (which should just pull off, I've seen them fall off to their own accord it shouldn't be any different from the pots),
You're pickguard should come off with little to no trouble.

The only forseeable problem would be that it might stick to the finish, depending on age.
-On a side note, you'll want to be a bit picky with your paint and top coat, if you're cheap, the paint is likely to scratch off with repeated wear.
do the strings really NEED to be taken off? :/

Also are you recommending rustoleum or just any paint that is specificly for plastic (such as krylon and rustoleum)
Quote by bboyjon
do the strings really NEED to be taken off? :/

Also are you recommending rustoleum or just any paint that is specificly for plastic (such as krylon and rustoleum)

yes. the strings do, in fact, need to be taken off.

but, if you can take it off without removing the strigns, PLEASE let me know how.

and its any plastics spraypaint, id look into Krylon.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
It may be possible to lift the pickguard, and slide it out from under the strings, but don't count on it.
The pickups get in the way if you try to remove it without removing the strings.

I'd restring it, anyway. It'll sound better. What have you got to lose?

BTW, painting a pickguard a solid colour isn't really as effective. What if the paint doesn't stick properly? It'll be uneven and scrape off. I'd buy a plastic sheet and cut out a new pickguard.
Quote by sashki
The pickups get in the way if you try to remove it without removing the strings.

I'd restring it, anyway. It'll sound better. What have you got to lose?

BTW, painting a pickguard a solid colour isn't really as effective. What if the paint doesn't stick properly? It'll be uneven and scrape off. I'd buy a plastic sheet and cut out a new pickguard.

If it's like a strat, (which it seems to be) it is possible, as long as you loosen the strings (and by loosen I mean as loose as the strings can get without coming out of the tuners).
Quote by mr_hankey
If it's like a strat, (which it seems to be) it is possible, as long as you loosen the strings (and by loosen I mean as loose as the strings can get without coming out of the tuners).

almost seems like itd be just as easy to take off your strings.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter
almost seems like itd be just as easy to take off your strings.

Touche.
If it were me, i wouldn't paint the pickguard. I would either buy a new one, or cut one myself.
There are too many things that could go wrong with paint, and it won't be as long-lasting as a fresh pickguard.
Derp.
It's not that difficult to remove the pickguard without taking the strings off, or even slackening them. Just unscrew the pickups. The hard part is getting them on again, but it's possible if you've got good finger dexterity and... grabbiness.
It wasnt hard at all to slide the pickguard out from under the strings, but i had to take em out to get the guard back in since i didnt want to risk scratching it

but yeah I painted it, the hardest and most frustrating part was getting the pickups screwed back into the pickguard...it took me about 45 min or so mostly cuz i was so pissed that it was taking me so long that i ended up using the wrong screws for the wrong pickups....

I also got some new knobs, i really dont know if I like them better than the old knobs though