I'm just starting out to learn guitar and I'm new to this whole fourm thing. Other than my thread to say hi to everyone, this is my first real thread; so please be gentle. I'm eager to start playing, but since my guitar is previously used (or should I say abused) I figure the first thing I should do is get it into somewhat of a playing condition. So let me tell you what I'm up against and then I'll sit back and read your responses and suggestions.

My guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica 112. The strings are a little rusty, the bridge is not sitting flat (up about 15 degree) and the volume control (which I think is called a pot) keeps cutting out. I'm also not sure if the truss rod needs adjusting.

From what I've read on the fourm I think I need to put new strings on, clean the volume pot and tighten the tremlo springs (not sure about the truss rod). However, this is where I need help:

1. What is a good set of strings for a complete beginner?
2. How do I get to the tremlo springs to tighten them, and how much?
3. What is the best way to clean the volume pot?
4. How do I tell if the truss rod needs adjusting (is this something I can do)?
5. What else should I look for to get this thing sounding half decent?

I hope this guitar is OK to start to start learning on, since I'm on a tight buget and would not like to take it somewhere to get set-up and get hit with a big bill (if I can avoid it), I just want to start playing.
Last edited by Baloo at Feb 24, 2008,
1. Any .09 gauge set. You should start with a light gauge.
2. open up the trem cover on the back (it's plastic), and there should be some screws and springs. Tighten the screws, or maybe throw another spring back there (a buck or so).
3. Buy a new one. It's not hard to replace. You just need a soldering iron.
4. I've always been bad at this. I think if the neck has a bad bowing angle, it needs adjusting. Take it to a tech.
5. A good amp. The yamaha pacifica was the most comfortable budget guitar i've ever played, and it sounded good through my amp. So, a good amp will sound good.

It's great to start learning on. It's a fine guitar. You MAY want to take it to a shop though. Or if you have a friend who knows what he's doing, take it to him.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The amp that I have is a Fender Princeton 112 Plus. Is this good for starting out with?
because your a beginner, i'd say just take it to a shop and explain to them what is wrong they should be able to fix er right up for you
Quote by Baloo
The amp that I have is a Fender Princeton 112 Plus. Is this good for starting out with?

yes, if that is the amp i think it is its a nice little amp
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by darkarbiter7
1. Any .09 gauge set. You should start with a light gauge.
2. open up the trem cover on the back (it's plastic), and there should be some screws and springs. Tighten the screws, or maybe throw another spring back there (a buck or so).
3. Buy a new one. It's not hard to replace. You just need a soldering iron.
4. I've always been bad at this. I think if the neck has a bad bowing angle, it needs adjusting. Take it to a tech.
5. A good amp. The yamaha pacifica was the most comfortable budget guitar i've ever played, and it sounded good through my amp. So, a good amp will sound good.

It's great to start learning on. It's a fine guitar. You MAY want to take it to a shop though. Or if you have a friend who knows what he's doing, take it to him.

This is all great advise for you. Hopefully you will get the thing "running" smoothly because it's important to have a working guitar you are comfortable with when starting out.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the guitar. Just remember to practice like mad and then practice some more!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster