Im in the process of learning scales as you all are aware of by now. I've struggled with the shapes of the different scales. The pentatonic scale for instance has 5 shapes. But, the five shapes are all used in different spots in every single scale. For example, let's say shape x is used for the first 4 frets in the A major pentatonic scale, but take a different scale and shape x is used all the way up at fret 14.How can I remember which shape goes where for each scale? I know memorizing the notes on the fretboard will work, but would it also make things easier if I memorized the notes that each scale contains so I could get away from the whole "shapes" thing and just think in terms of intervals and notes? Thanks for the time and patience.
Do you mean, get out of the box patterns?

I imagine that would help a lot. Interval work on and between strings would be a great bonus when working on theory/writing. You could definitely get away with it.
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---| Position 1
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|

|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---| Position 2
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|

|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---| Position 3
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|

|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---| Position 4
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|

|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---| Position 5
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|

combine em all together and you get.....

|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---
|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---|---
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---|---
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---|---
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---
^________^____^___^_______^____^______^
Pos.1 2 3 4 5 1(again, and the whole thing repeats)

thats pretty straight forward ..

edit: memorizing is the easiest and fastest way to jump from position to position
just practice jumping from pos 1 to2 than 1 to 3 , 1 to 4, and so on
that will help alot
the scales look a little lop sided, but it was copied and pasted from a txt file so oh well....
Last edited by STriNG-RaY at Feb 25, 2008,
As far as I'm concerned, you only need to know ONE shape for the time being. Once you master intervals and have memorized the fretboard, you'll no longer need shapes. But as far as learning multiple shapes, I think it's useless because they all sound exactly the same (provided you start on the root note every time).
Quote by STriNG-RaY
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---| Position 1
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|

|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---| Position 2
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|

|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---| Position 3
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|

|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---| Position 4
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|

|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---| Position 5
|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|
|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|

combine em all together and you get.....

|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---
|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---|---
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---|---
|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|-c-|---|---|---|---|---|---
^________^____^___^_______^____^______^
Pos.1 2 3 4 5 1(again, and the whole thing repeats)

thats pretty straight forward ..

edit: memorizing is the easiest and fastest way to jump from position to position
just practice jumping from pos 1 to2 than 1 to 3 , 1 to 4, and so on
that will help alot
the scales look a little lop sided, but it was copied and pasted from a txt file so oh well....

Excellent post. Rockadoodle, do that with the circle of fifths a couple times a day or more in every key. Just keep going around that circle. Descend the first scale as the minor then ascend the next and on and on.

As for terminology, I always thought they were called modes, not shapes. Could be wrong though.