Hey everyone. I need a little help from the expert bassists here. I’ve been scratching my head over this for a long time. I need help determining the make and model of this bass guitar:

Is that a Fender or Squier? Furthermore- Is that a Precision Bass or a Jazz Bass?

Whatever it is, it looks vintage.

The headstock makes it look like a Squier. It doesn’t look like any Precision Bass or Jazz Bass that I’ve come across. I mean, I’ve never seen a Fender or Squier with a single humbucker like that. And I’ve never seen a Fender or Squier with a bridge like that!

Also, I think the body is translucent gold in colour. Or maybe blonde. Or maybe butterscotch.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

Can anyone help me identify this mystery bass guitar? Thanks in advance!
Thats a Fender Telecaster bass. As for the exact model I'm not sure.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
It might not even be a Fender. They usually don't use humbuckers, especially not at the neck. It most resembles a vintage Precision. As for the bridge, that's just a cover. You can buy them pretty cheap.
Well the body is that of a '51 P bass. A better view of the headstock would be nice, but I don't think this is yours.

The bridge thing is just a cover, and the thumb rest means this is either an old bass, or someone trying to make a bass look vintage. I however, do not know of a standard Fender bass with a neckbucker (which I think in this case would be a mudbucker). I'm guessing it wouldn't sound too hot. But I don't know much.
Oy...

It's a Fender Telecaster bass. That's the actual model name.

It used to be called the Precision and in 1957 they made it look like a Strat, sorta (as opposed to a Tele). Then, in around 1967 I believe, they started "reissuing" the original design as the Telecaster Bass. At around the time they started using Poly finishes, they also switched from single-coil P-Bass pickups to Mudbuckers.

What you have there is a 1969 and on (my guess, mid 70's) Fender Telecaster Bass.

If you're really inclined to get one with that pickup, Squier makes a bass called the TB-Bass, which is basically a reissue of that with completely different body woods.

EDIT: That's definitely a 70's model, as the pick guard is different. I think the pickguard changed with the pickup.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 24, 2008,
It's a 1972 spec one - the same year the Telecaster guitar was given humbuckers and a larger pickguard. You can get a Squier one (sunburst, no bridge cover) now and Fender have re-issued this one in the past.

The bridge cover I believe had felt mutes on one edge of it to get a more upright sound or you can remove the bridge cover or turn it around for less thump and more sustain.

This is the model...note the bridge cover is the opposite way round like I said http://www.jimlawrence.net/TELE73BASS/1973TELE.html

It's got your favourite 3-bolt neck Fitz
Last edited by smb at Feb 25, 2008,
woot woot, i actually knew what this was like right when i saw it...but then the fitz had to come in and steal my thunder....i had a friend who's dad had one of those a tele bass i didnt think they existed until i saw it...then when he would let no one touch it...well you could imagine

and while there is a pick of one i have a question ive never understood, why is the thumb rest on the bottom.....it just baffles me ive seen them on top and that makes sence...i jsut cant fathom how putting ANY of your fingers on that could help or be comfertable

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics

and while there is a pick of one i have a question ive never understood, why is the thumb rest on the bottom.....it just baffles me ive seen them on top and that makes sence...i jsut cant fathom how putting ANY of your fingers on that could help or be comfertable

Bass players used to play with their thumbs (thumb picking). Sting still plays in this style. That wasn't a thumb rest, but rather a finger rest or what is sometimes called a "tug bar".

Bad example but to get the gist of this see:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FaflUn4Co

Brian Wilson is playing in this style....
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 25, 2008,
Wow, does anyone else find it ridiculously erotic when they imagine Tam saying, "tug bar?"
It is definitely a fender, that thumb rest is a dead giveaway and by the bridge cover and shape i'd say a telecaster
^^^ Fitz is right. I'd hang on to that if I were you.

Those are really cool basses. George Porter Jr. used to use one back in the 60's, and I think Mike Watt still uses one today, from time to time.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by Bumper
Wow, does anyone else find it ridiculously erotic when they imagine Tam saying, "tug bar?"

LOL, Bumper...welcome back!!
Quote by smb
It's a 1972 spec one - the same year the Telecaster guitar was given humbuckers and a larger pickguard. You can get a Squier one (sunburst, no bridge cover) now and Fender have re-issued this one in the past.

The bridge cover I believe had felt mutes on one edge of it to get a more upright sound or you can remove the bridge cover or turn it around for less thump and more sustain.

This is the model...note the bridge cover is the opposite way round like I said http://www.jimlawrence.net/TELE73BASS/1973TELE.html

It's got your favourite 3-bolt neck Fitz

So is this mystery bass a 1972 or 1973? And how can you tell?
Quote by Jericho-79
So is this mystery bass a 1972 or 1973? And how can you tell?

They introduced this model in 1972 and I don't know what year they discontinued it. The serial number is the best way to get a date for a specific bass.
Can anyone tell me what colour that bass guitar is?

I'm guessing butterscotch blonde- but I could be wrong.

Any guesses? Does anyone know for sure?
Last edited by Jericho-79 at Feb 26, 2008,
It is definatley not a Telecaster bass des[ite the pickguard and the headstock. It is most likely a '51 P-bass just like IndianRockStar said. The color looks like a honey or natural color.
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
How can you tell if it's a natural colour and not butterscotch blonde?

The colour is much too heavy to be natural.
Quote by Jericho-79

i cant tell im guessing
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
Quote by The 6th String
It is definatley not a Telecaster bass des[ite the pickguard and the headstock. It is most likely a '51 P-bass just like IndianRockStar said. The color looks like a honey or natural color.

It is a Telecaster bass, and that's all there is to it.

And by my estimation, it's around 1975 with that natural/black pg colour scheme.

It's a Telecaster bass.

It's a Telecaster bass.

The end.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
It is a Telecaster bass, and that's all there is to it.

And by my estimation, it's around 1975 with that natural/black pg colour scheme.

It's a Telecaster bass.

It's a Telecaster bass.

The end.

I don't see a black pickgaurd there. LOL
Quote by Jericho-79

It's probably due to the lightning. Butterscotch blond is pretty mustard-y.

And yes, it is a Telecaster bass. Why are you such a doubting Thomas?
Quote by kuki_anarPINEL
it's a Fender Sting signature, for gods sake

It funking well isn't! Sting signature basses are sunburst, single coil pickup, 1953 replicas with a different pickguard to this model and the two saddle bridge. The Sting sig doesn't have a tug bar or a bridge cover. This is definitely not a Sting sig is what I'm saying. We've discussed this to death - it's a Tele bass.
Quote by kuki_anarPINEL

I can't believe you're being serious with this post.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by kuki_anarPINEL

That =/= TS' pic at ALL.

Please tell me you were kidding.
Quote by kuki_anarPINEL
it's a Sting signature Fender, for gods sake

Quit your jibba-jabba!!

sorry, I rather think I've OD'd on Mr T today...plus Im 18 in 1 hours and 20 minurtes, so Im a tad excitable...

BUT

yes, it's clearly not, and you have apologised, so, really, this is a tad pointless a post,and I need an idea quickly so this isnt spam....

...got it!!!

How in the holy heck did you think that was a sting bass??
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I just want to know if this Fender Telecaster Bass is a reissue- so that maybe I could look for one.
I don't think they have reissues of the 72 tele. I'm not 100% though. I remember seeing this bass in a magazine a year or two ago, the bass player from the Hives had it. I'm gonna call Fitzy-poo a liar here and go ahead and assume that it's a 72, because that just feels right to me.
Out of nothing but sheer curiosity, threadstarter, what is this picture from? I'm interested in knowing what kind of act sports a Tele Bass.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Jericho-79
I just want to know if this Fender Telecaster Bass is a reissue- so that maybe I could look for one.

It is a telecaster bass. End of. Check out the Squier TB Precision Bass.

And when I said reissue, I was saying that Fender was reissuing the early slab model of the Precision and calling it the Telecaster bass, not that there's a reissue of the Telecaster bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i would say it is a fender telecaster bass
the bassist may have customised it abit
so it is hard 2 actually find the model it is
some people get perks from doing that :S
^It's a 72 or a 75 Tele depending on who you ask here. We've already established it. Does no one even read the thread anymore? Have they ever?