well i didnt get to go to the mesa boogie store in hollywood this weekend and im saddened by it but next weekend im going to make a strong effort to go and try this amp. im almost certain it will have the tone i am looking for and then some

anyways. i wanted to make this topic as a "what to expect" question.

how is the tight low end in comparison to an engl powerball?

the powerball had a tight low end that i liked but its not worth the 2 grand i have to shell out for it, which is why i have looked elsewhere.

PS: im getting a 4x12 (for those of you know my story) because i found out from someone who sets up the stages for big bands that sometimes they dont mic and sometimes they do. so its better to be prepared to provide your spreadage with a 4x12 cab. other plus's for a 4x12 is that you can hear yourself better (just u, not necessarily the crowd, therefore u can monitor ur mistakes etc), it has more low end (good for teh br00tals ), and it makes u look cool while u sound cool lol. but most of all!!.....................my dad wont let me have a 2x12 -_-. o well its better for the long run lol.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Why won't your dad let you have a 2x12?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I am gonna say that you should take some settings with you to the Mesa store so you aren't confused. It simply isn't a plug and play amp. And why won't your dad let you have a 2x12?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Why won't your dad let you have a 2x12?

lmao i knew this question would come up.

its for the fact that some nights may not be gigged and the fact he is the audience and if it makes he throw up the devils horns, its the one to get lol. its hard to explain but he just wont settle for a 2x12, even tho i will and he is usually the right one. but his reasoning is "why settle", and "itll be better in the long run" which i do agree with. i may need a 4x12 sometime, simply for the added low end and spreadage XD.

i mean i have no problem with him paying for it :P:

its a lame reason to get one but i mean think about why so many major bands use half stacks. i have yet to see a big band that doesnt use one that isnt country or blues.......or whatever. it just sounds better which i do agree it does (small differences, but there is a difference) but i dont think it justifys the usual huge price jump from a 2x12 on some brands. Avatar is the exception. only 115 more for a 4x12, not a real loss there. unlike a mesa boogie cab tho where its like 400 for the 2x12 and 900 for the 4x12. those arent exact values of course but u get my point. vader cabs are 400 to 700 for a 2x12 to a 4x12. theres a good example i think >_>.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I am gonna say that you should take some settings with you to the Mesa store so you aren't confused. It simply isn't a plug and play amp. And why won't your dad let you have a 2x12?

why isnt anyone answering the question -_-. i already got some settings from UnsignedRecords tho. he owns one and has for a while.

and read my post on the reason for no 2x12. its not a big deal. i originally wanted a 4x12 but i was swayed and confused by these boards -_-. its better to be safe with overkill on power and volume than to be asking for more volume or headroom when there isnt any. and i need headroom. altho a 2x12 would work fine, a 4x12 does it better for me.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Hey man, a 4x12 is a great thing. I own one, but I am buying a 2x12 for reasons of weight. And, I would really like a Mark IV if I didn't own a Road King. But, for right now and pretty much forever, it does the job.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
The Mark IV isn't a Recto, don't expect it to get as thick and gritty as the Recto can, which is often compared to the Engl amps as a direct competitor. The Mark IV can get rather brutal in it's own right, but I wouldn't say it's the same kind of brutal as the Engl's, Recto's, Framus, or other high gain, high wattage tube heads. It's a bit more smooth, warm, full sound, as compared to a thick, gritty, somewhat colder sound.
If you really want to get to the bottom of this, ask MESAexplorer or UnsignedRecords. They both own Mark IV's.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by giternator

its a lame reason to get one but i mean think about why so many major bands use half stacks. i have yet to see a big band that doesnt use one that isnt country or blues.......or whatever. it just sounds better which i do agree it does (small differences, but there is a difference) but i dont think it justifys the usual huge price jump from a 2x12 on some brands. Avatar is the exception. only 115 more for a 4x12, not a real loss there. unlike a mesa boogie cab tho where its like 400 for the 2x12 and 900 for the 4x12. those arent exact values of course but u get my point. vader cabs are 400 to 700 for a 2x12 to a 4x12. theres a good example i think >_>.

Taproot uses 2x12 mesa recto cabs Anyways man if he's paying who cares? 4x12 is awesome, but the only reason i dont have one is cost + size. I have a 2x12 mesa recto cab because its soo much easier to lug around! Takes up less space in the car, lighter weight. I use it for band practice and have no problem what so ever, just flip it vertical In the end the 2x12 will be just as loud as the 4x12. But you're not paying sooo. Also mesa just raised there prices, so the 2x12 cab will be around $600-630 i dont remember the exact price. Also the 4x12 will be more expensive as well as a new mark.

i haven't tried the mark IV, but in the US it's going to be much better value. For example, in europe, the powerball goes for about £1000 ($2000), while the mark IV is about double that.

of course, if you prefer the engl tone, it might be worth the extra money. But if I liked both equally (as i said, i haven't tried the mark IV) i'd probably go with the mark IV. Much like in europe, if I liked both equally, I'd probably go with the powerball.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
but the only reason i dont have one is cost + size. I have a 2x12 mesa recto cab because its soo much easier to lug around!QUOTE]

so your saying that if you could carry it and afford it, you would get a 4x12 because it sounds better? isnt that what friends and band mates are for? :P:

im going to A/B a 2x12 and a 4x12 with the mark IV this time this coming weekend when i go. hopefully then i will come to a decision.

but for now, since i have to wait a week.....how do these amps compare for cleans and metal tones, or whatever you guys think.

Randall MTS (affordable and versatile but could it be trying to do too much and suck at it all like in most cases?.....and has anyone seen one in a store in southern california? i never see any in the official dealers stores)

FJA modded 5150 (better cleans, tighter low end, clarity, bias'd hotter since its cold)

Mesa DC (just how old are these >_>

mesa f series (how old are these too -_-, and whats the highest wattage heads for the DC and F series i can get. they seem to be low wattage, but there isnt a whole lot of info out there)
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
*major gasp* BLASPHEMOUS!!! lol j/k. ill admit it doesnt sound much different tho. its definitely there but to the good ear.

ill prove it this weekend tho.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by FLCLcowdude
If you really want to get to the bottom of this, ask MESAexplorer or UnsignedRecords. They both own Mark IV's.

And me too. I feel so left out

The Mark IV has a very tight sound to it, however, I wouldn't suggest turning the bass up past 4 or it starts to flab out.

Here's my settings for teh br00talz:

Lead Channel w/ GE engaged:
Gain: 8/Pulled
Highs: 6.5
Bass: 3.5
Mids: 5
Drive: 8
Presence: 6
Triode
Simul-Class
Harmonics

Think that's it? Try it out! If that doesn't have enough gain for you and isn't "brutal" I dunno what is.

And the Mesa DC and F series you were asking about, they come in 30, 50 and 100 watts. The F series aren't old, they were just discontinued last year. Not sure on the DCs though, they were what preceeded the F series.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Feb 25, 2008,
u have any idea what they might sound like?? are the DC basically old F series?

or are they different amps all together?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
so er no one has any ideas how a randall MTS, FJA 5150, mesa DC or F series sounds in comparison to a mark IV?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
since i have to wait a week.....how do these amps compare for cleans and metal tones, or whatever, what do you guys think.

Randall MTS (affordable and versatile but could it be trying to do too much and suck at it all like in most cases?)

Mesa DC

mesa f series

a edited and simplified version of my question as of now.........and

FREE BUMP!!!!!!
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
*sniff* *wipes tear* meanies......ima make a new topic just b/c this thread gets no love

the subject got way off track of what the title says anyways. free bump just in case anyone wants to answer
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
try looking for sound clips/demos on youtube.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
yeah i have.......not much on there for the randall but the cleans on the mesa F series are dam great lol. dist is pretty tight but ive only heard the combos. besides i dont think im gonna be getting a F series simply b/c there is no where to test it and its a gamble which i dont have money to be gambling with -_-.

if u have anything for the randall MTS, check out my new thread which is about it specifically.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by MatrixClaw
And me too. I feel so left out

The Mark IV has a very tight sound to it, however, I wouldn't suggest turning the bass up past 4 or it starts to flab out.

Here's my settings for teh br00talz:

Lead Channel w/ GE engaged:
Gain: 8/Pulled
Highs: 6.5
Bass: 3.5
Mids: 5
Drive: 8
Presence: 6
Triode
Simul-Class
Harmonics

Think that's it? Try it out! If that doesn't have enough gain for you and isn't "brutal" I dunno what is.

And the Mesa DC and F series you were asking about, they come in 30, 50 and 100 watts. The F series aren't old, they were just discontinued last year. Not sure on the DCs though, they were what preceeded the F series.

MatrixClaw! I feel so horrible that I left you out of the list. UnsignedRecords and MESAexplorer were the 2 that I thought of off the top of my head. But, TS, you really can't go wrong with a mesa, unless it is a Son of Boogie. Even then, it still sounds much better than what your playing on now.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
i would get a savage over a powerball
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10