Just a quick question about knowing the neck. Sadly, for over two and a half years, I've worked with boxes. I know that I can get by just with boxes, because I've been working that way forever. The thing is, I also know just how important knowing both the notes of the neck and the intervals/notes in scales. I'm working on my neck knowledge now (a slow and painful process, but I know it will pay off).

My question is this: To those of you who know their neck, do you use that knowledge for every single note in the scale or just the root? I mean, let's say we're jamming over some blues with a minor pentatonic. Do you know every note in the scale and quickly recall every note and know everywhere you can go? OR... Do you memorise the position of every root note and still use boxes?

I'm just not sure on which I'm supposed to strive to achieve. I know the position of the root notes, but I can't quickly think of every note in the scale. Thanks for the help guys.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
The 5 modes of the pentatonics are all connected together. Say you want to play all 5 modes in the key of F, you would start at the low E string F on the first fret, playing all 5 modes connected together all the way down to the high E string F on the 13th fret. Make sense?
Quote by syk3d
Just a quick question about knowing the neck. Sadly, for over two and a half years, I've worked with boxes. I know that I can get by just with boxes, because I've been working that way forever. The thing is, I also know just how important knowing both the notes of the neck and the intervals/notes in scales. I'm working on my neck knowledge now (a slow and painful process, but I know it will pay off).

My question is this: To those of you who know their neck, do you use that knowledge for every single note in the scale or just the root? I mean, let's say we're jamming over some blues with a minor pentatonic. Do you know every note in the scale and quickly recall every note and know everywhere you can go? OR... Do you memorise the position of every root note and still use boxes?

I'm just not sure on which I'm supposed to strive to achieve. I know the position of the root notes, but I can't quickly think of every note in the scale. Thanks for the help guys.

I understand what he's asking and I'd like to know the same thing. I personally think mastery of intervals and the fretboard is pretty much the key to playing freakin ANYTHING at a moment's notice. If you could train your ear to recognize notes, then I would pretty much consider you a virtuoso at that point.
Well I there is another thread going on like right next to this one with the pentatonic scales, basically showing the positions of all the modes. Check it out. Itll help as well.
Quote by beavers333
The 5 modes of the pentatonics are all connected together. Say you want to play all 5 modes in the key of F, you would start at the low E string F on the first fret, playing all 5 modes connected together all the way down to the high E string F on the 13th fret. Make sense?

This doesn't really answer my question. I understand positions (different to modes) of the pentatonic scale. I want to know if you still play in boxes when you know the notes on the fretboard (memorise all positions of the root note and work from there), or you just know every single note in the scale.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Ah right sorry. Yes just memorize every position of the root note of the key you want to play in. And make sure you have the right mode to the right position.
I learned the boxes as basic positions to get a sense for what certain scales sound like. However, I know a good deal of theory so I'm always aware of what notes are present in a scale and what notes I want to emphasize or target. I use a lot of pentatonic licks in certain leads but I never restrict myself to boxes. I try and work all over the neck, and knowledge of the intervals rather than box positions is crucial to this.
I know where all the notes are on the fretboard, but in practice I tend to navigate around using target notes usually roots, 4ths and 5ths, and "spawn" boxes off them. You need to know every note to be able to play in different keys all over the fretboard, but there's nothing wrong with using patterns and boxes when actually playing.

Quote by beavers333

That's not modes, that's simply different places where the notes of a particular scale can be found.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 25, 2008,
Thanks steven. That's kind of what I had thought. I had trouble comprehending the need to know every note at the exact moment in time that your finger hits it. How you described is how I play. I can't say I'm an expert at the notes on the fretboard (working on it) or a real expert at intervals (I'm working on that too ), but I know the positions of the root that I'm playing, and from there I apply my knowledge of the boxes to work with licks and riffs etc. I just wanted to find out how other people play because I had kind of thought that the way I have been playing was cheating. Thanks guys
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
For me, the important thing is that you understand what you've been playing and can explain it to someone else, even if you don't know exactly what you did at the time. A lot of what I do is based on sounds, as in I'm roughly following a scale but I know that there's a particular note I can play for a specific sound even if it isn't in the scale. I might not be able to tell you the note is at the time, but I can go back and say "Oh, I see what I did there...I dropped down a semitone to add in a flattened 7th, and that worked because the chord had a 7th in it."
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up. I think I'm in a similar boat to the way you described your playing. I'm not quick enough to think about my notes on the fly, but I'm capable of analysing my playing afterwards. Thanks again.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.