so, i have been playing a lot of classic rock and blues lately, but i als love heavy metal (think: lamb of god, trivium, SOAD).

my amp i have currently is a Fender hotrod deville 2x12, and my best friend asked me to join his heavy metal band. i know my amp isn't the real "heavy metal' kind of amp,(i do have the right guitar.. Dean ML) but i can't afford a new amp, and i really like the fender.

im wondering if it would be alright to just get all my gain from a pedal? and what pedal would be best to do that with?
Last edited by sizzlenetsteve at Feb 25, 2008,
Damage control Solid metal or Demonizer

Rockatron SilverDragon
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
+1 DC own- have a look at the vox bulldog if ur on a slightly tighter budget
MXR DD-11 Tribute Dime Distortion- Keep your amp. Throw some emg's in the Dean and chug-a-lug.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by STABxYOU
Digitech Grunge or a EHX Metal Muff.

The grunge actually sounds alright, but id use anolog distortion with a Tube amp
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
The grunge actually sounds alright, but id use anolog distortion with a Tube amp

Their grunge pedal is part of their analog series.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
I have the same amp only 410 and i have the same(had the same) problem. If you use a boss ds-1, crank down the tone and up the drive, and fiddle with your prescence you get great distortion. EQ-treble should be 1/2 to 3/4 the way up, bass cranked, mid scooped. For a kickin solo tone kick on the drive, keep the drive knob at about 3 and have on drive not more drive. This is like a pretty solid shred tone. You might want a tiny bit more gain for solos so you can pull off and hammer on more easily but really this is a solid setting. The Ds-1 is great for all things rock, i use it to get the perfect OD out of my amp as well. And you can get santana sounds.....jesus you can get a crap load of good tones. Just sit down for a while and mess away...