What are the most used chords? I know I need to put all the majors and minors, but as far as anything else, I'm unsure of what I should add. I'm sure I won't be using a#majsus4add5+aug or whatever anytime soon, but what other types of chords are moderately common enough for me to put on my sheet?
The basic shapes of barre chords. Once you know 2 shapes you can play them all over the fret.

Learn the other 3 root positions on the D-G-B strings. Very easy to get down and youll be able to play them all up and down the neck.

There are great lessons here on UG for triads. Learn em, it helps so much.

Other than that, Id learn the majors, the minors and the major 7s of the open chords. The major 7s are used in a lot of blues, or, Jimi Hendrix .
I already know the barre chords for the most part. I just wanted to know all the open positions that I'd ever need to know. And don't tease me with Jimi! Ahhghgh!

Quote by beavers333
Learn the other 3 root positions on the D-G-B strings. Very easy to get down and youll be able to play them all up and down the neck.

Could you elaborate on this some?

Seriously, I've not heard of this concept yet. I must've missed it. Could someone explain this concept, or link me somewhere that does?
There isn't to many open position chords. I'll say a few and if you missed them then...

Em
Emaj
Gmaj
Amaj
Am
Asus
Cmaj
Cmaj9
Cmaj7
Dsus

E7
G7
A7
B7
Cmaj7
D7

I don't know theres so many, Instead learn how to name and build chords, then you don't need a chord chart.
Quote by Ashbory4
There isn't to many open position chords. I'll say a few and if you missed them then...

Em
Emaj
Gmaj
Amaj
Am
Asus
Cmaj
Cmaj9
Cmaj7
Dsus

E7
G7
A7
B7
Cmaj7
D7

I don't know theres so many, Instead learn how to name and build chords, then you don't need a chord chart.

Ok, cool. Thanks man. I'll probably make a chart with all those and tape it on the wall. As for learning the theory, I'm working on it, but it's kind of confusing, so I'm taking my time.

Also, someone explain to me what that other guy meant when he said:
I think he just means building the chord from those strings. Like the open D is:
e-2-
B-3-
G-2-
D-0-
A---
E---

The root is on the D string, fifth on G, octave on B, major third on e. But the most important thing is that the root is the 'bass' note (although, of course, tonally speaking, it's far from the range at the D string on a guitar).

Just to clarify, you know what a root is right?

Edit: an example of one you don't know on those root strings could be a different voicing of C major (all voicing means pretty much is just different position, although it's slightly more than just that. There's a column on it somewhere).

e-7-
B-5-
G-5-
D--
A---
E---

C, the root, is again the bottom note.
Last edited by Wratheh at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by Wratheh
I think he just means building the chord from those strings. Like the open D is:
e-2-
B-3-
G-2-
D-0-
A---
E---

The root is on the D string, fifth on G, octave on B, major third on e. But the most important thing is that the root is the 'bass' note (although, of course, tonally speaking, it's far from the range at the D string on a guitar).

Just to clarify, you know what a root is right?

Edit: an example of one you don't know on those root strings could be a different voicing of C major (all voicing means pretty much is just different position, although it's slightly more than just that. There's a column on it somewhere).

e-7-
B-5-
G-5-
D--
A---
E---

C, the root, is again the bottom note.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah I knew all that stuff already. I just read his statement and wondered if there was some kind of slide-able chord shape that I had missed in my studies.