Has anyone else had a problem doing power chords easily and comfortably?

When I do a power chord especially low on the fretboard like this:

---------
---------
---------
----3----
----3----
----1----

My hand gets really tense because my index finger feels like it has to push really hard in order to fret the 6th string while my ring and pinky fret the 5th and 4th strings.

Are my fingers just really weak?

If so can anyone recommend any good exercises to do?

Thanks
Yeah, just keep practicing and eventually your fingers will become stronger and they'll be more suited for keeping the strings down. You can work on keeping your hand properly angled to play, that may help. Also, some people choose to bar the A and D strings with either their ring finger or pinky, so that's always another option.
\had the same problem as you 6 years ago
i leARNED wonderfel world by The Ramones and it fixed that curedme
You don't HAVE to hit the octave note on the D string. Depending on what you're playing, you might not even want to hit it.
Spiral Out
don't worry we all went through it while we were learning.just keep practicing and it will cum ryt.wat u could do is also bring your thumb down and keep it in the middle of the back of the neck and apply pressure ther, so u dont hav to put as much pressure on your ring finger to hold down the first fret.or u could use it to elevate the pressure on your ring finger
Make sure your action isn't ungodly high either. That would make it hard to press down on them.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
It was like that for me at the start. Took awhile. Just keep practicing!
Dude, I've being playing 6 months, so I'm not the best person to tell you this. But other people said everyone goes through this, and I did, especially like you said F5 it is hard, I know that. And also just keep practicing like other people said,
Maybe get a stress ball sort of thing and use that a lot, worked for a few of my friends, i personally just get going at it, maybe play on an acoustic for a while, strengthens your fingers.

x
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Keep practicing and maybe try using a lighter guage set of strings like 10-46 or something.
Quote by ernie123
Keep practicing and maybe try using a lighter guage set of strings like 10-46 or something.

That doesn't solve the problem though, does it?

It is simply a matter of building finger strength. Practise, slowly at first, then gradually it should become perfectly natural.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
You should use only your pointer and ring fingers and keep the angle closer to the guitar. Keep in mind it does not take much to hold down a string. Relax an keep at it and it will come easy.
I play powerchords with my 1st and 4th(pinky) finger is this normal?
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
Quote by Esp_kill07

not normal but o.k doesn't matter
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I guess I just feel frustrated sometimes because I keep hearing people say things like songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit are "easy songs" and then when I try them I cant even handle something as simple as a chord change because my hand is so tensed up due to the effort I need to fret the chord correctly.

But I think I see now that its a matter of staying focused and working to develop my finger strength.

Thanks again for the help.
Quote by Immortal9978
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I guess I just feel frustrated sometimes because I keep hearing people say things like songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit are "easy songs" and then when I try them I cant even handle something as simple as a chord change because my hand is so tensed up due to the effort I need to fret the chord correctly.

But I think I see now that its a matter of staying focused and working to develop my finger strength.

Thanks again for the help.

Ive been playing for 3 months now. I just started on that song about a week ago. It was my first time really trying out power chords. Its not easy at first. I just played it real slow for atleast 2 or 3 days. Now I can do it without looking, its no problem.

I found the learning curve hard for power chords, and it was frustrating because everyone says they are so easy, but once you get over that hill its so easy from then on
Quote by Esp_kill07

It's perfectly fine. I do it as well, and Tony Iommi did it (I model my playing after his).

Well, I honestly never had this problem. In fact, my very first riff used F5 and other low power chords. Also, like somebody mentioned, you don't have to hit the octave. Just keep practicing and see what style is most comfortable for you. Me, I would play with my index and pinky, not hitting the octave (plus, my finger strength developed extremely quickly). Though just keep on playing, it will come.
"I've been visiting a psychiatrist for some time now. He plays mind games. He asks things like 'do you masturbate'? and I say 'do you breathe?'."
Ozzy - 1975
Quote by Esp_kill07

this is good to do sometimes if you need to play a augmented fifth power chord after or before a regular power chord - makes it a little easier if you can't stretch very well (like me). But I usually switch when I know I have to or want to play that way.
Just practice.Use index,ring and pinky.

If everything fails,ask Billie Joe.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic