Trapezoid
36 32%
Dot
32 28%
Clean
26 23%
Voters: 113.
Page 1 of 2
Anything as long as it's done well. For instance, I absolutely can't stand dot inlays that are just plain white dots.
anything goes really but if Id make a guitar myself Id go with dots.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
When I get my custom-shop axe, I think I'm going to see if they'll do little GOP elephants.
Also, the planet inlays on Eric Johnson's signature Martin are probably the coolest I've seen on any guitar.
^The one with the planets? Yeah, that's pretty cool, but I think the vivid colours are a little out of place on an otherwise very gentlemanlike acoustic.
Quote by Johnthewrench
When I get my custom-shop axe, I think I'm going to see if they'll do little GOP elephants.

GOP? Grandfather Of Pearl?
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Feb 25, 2008,
shark fin with dot like dave mustaine.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
I can't vote... you didn't include bird inlays........
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Blocks or sharkfins.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Vine of life > blank > traps > sharkfins > all other.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU

Traps? Like, tiny bear traps that'll crush your fingers if you play on frets3, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21 and 24?
id like roman numerals on mine if i had a custom

i like tony iommi's crucifix. i also like the waves on my s470

Caparison Inlays:

Last edited by Supernaut2k at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Pikka Bird
Traps? Like, tiny bear traps that'll crush your fingers if you play on frets3, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21 and 24?

No, those muscles between your neck and shoulder.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I really liked John Entwistle's bass that had Roman Numerals as the inlays.
No fretboard front inlays at all for me. I just find them distracting and if anything put me off and make me play worse.

That said, on some darker necks (ebony and some rosewood, and with dark body finishes), if I'm playing in less-than-great light, I have in the past appreciated having plain white side dot inlays. Most of the time though I prefer not to have side inlays either.
i perfer the pentagram inlay that the Jackson kevin bond signiture Rhoads or the tribal inlays on the B.C. Rich Kerry King signiture V.
Vine/tree of life.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I like clean, maybe with an inlay on the 12th. I also quite like block inlays, as on the custom LPs. Dots are pretty meh but don't look too shabby on a maple fretboard (strat..)
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Out of the choices above, I probably like the traps more. It really depends on how it's done and the guitar itself. I've seen nice looking ones, and I've seen some bad looking ones.

Personally I'm a fan of Vine of Life inlays, and various other unique looking stuff (except for names and such).

For example (my C1XXX):
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by STABxYOU

close:

Vine of life > sharkfins > blank > traps > all other
Quote by Hakael
Out of the choices above, I probably like the traps more. It really depends on how it's done and the guitar itself. I've seen nice looking ones, and I've seen some bad looking ones.

Personally I'm a fan of Vine of Life inlays, and various other unique looking stuff (except for names and such).

For example (my C1XXX):

wow... I've never seen those inlays before.... best inlays EVER!!!!!1 What fiddle are they attached to??!?!?!?!?!!?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by brianthemayan
wow... I've never seen those inlays before.... best inlays EVER!!!!!1 What fiddle are they attached to??!?!?!?!?!!?

Schecter C1XXX
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Hmm. . out of those. . dots or clean.

My favourite inlay would be Vai's pyramid inlay.
However a custom guitar for me would consist of a clean maple neck or a maple neck with only a nice inlay at the 12th fret.

Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Feb 25, 2008,
Anything goes for me I guess, as long as it's not too gaudy. I prefer Pearloid, mother of pearl or pearl. Something with depth but not too distracting. Abalone is a little over the top for me.
Trapezoids.

I can't stand those inlays that are usually flowers or vines or something going down the board, though I do think they're beautiful...I just can't play on them for ****.

But Buckethead's Les Paul looks really neat without any inlays.
my standard favorite is dots

my all time is the skull inlays on the kirk hammet signature ESP

and how cool would it be to have the JACKASS logo as your inlays?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I like trapezoids a lot, but if I ever had custom inlays done on a guitar, I would probably do eight pointed starts, or something like the PRS birds in flight desing, but with dragons.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Feb 25, 2008,
Well I like the Dots on my Strat copy, maple neck and dark dots, could be rosewood dots. On my Dove I have Pearl effect Split Parallelograms, same as on the Gibson EDS1275 and I love them.

On a Les Paul I wouldn't be able to stand Dots, so I'd say Trap or Block, but on a Strat it would have to be Dots or stars.
I use:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in white

Epiphone Dove

Vox AD30
I like just the regular black dots you find on Fender strats with maple fretboards, but I'm also partial to unique designs, such as Iommi MOP crosses, and I personally think it would be neat to have Roman numerals as your inlays. MOP Roman numerals!
Quote by T!AN
Anything as long as it's done well. For instance, I absolutely can't stand dot inlays that are just plain white dots.

+1, My Jackson had plain white dots and I hated it so much, especially because the fretboard was ebony and the guitar was black and the dots stood out so much!
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I like Tribal inlays and Sharkfins.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30