i was learning to play the opening riff from 'crazy train' and i was watching people play it on youtube and noticed that most people don't have to move their hand much because they can have their index finger on the 1st string, 2nd fret and have their pinky on the 2nd string, 5th fret at the same time. i can't do that, my pinky doesn't reach that far. this problem has come up a few times since and here is my question - do different guitars have different sized frets (ie - they can do it because their 5th and 2nd fret are closer together than mine) or do they just have bigger/more flexible hands. thanks.

i'm playing a squier strat by the way
a squier strat is a 25.5'' scale, which is pretty standard, the other one would be a 24.75'' scale
different sized frets means the size of the actual metal wires in ur neck, fret distance (which is what im guessing you're referring to) is dependent on scale length

eventually your pinky will be able to reach it, hard stretches are an eventuality
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
nah. you just need to exercise your pinky. just practice doing simple riffs with your pinky. youll get used to it. the pinky is essential to your left hand. practice, practice, practice
Some guitars have the nut and bridge closer together, but only by about 3/4ths of an inch when compared to your guitar.

To be honest, you should be able to stretch your fingers farther than you seem to be able to. To have your index finger on the 2nd fret and your pinky on the 5th fret works out to having one finger for each fret (index on 2nd, middle on 3rd, ring on 4th, pinky on 5th). You should really work on your reach.

What I recommend trying is A) warming up with some chromatic scales first, and B) going higher on the neck and just play 4 chromatic notes, one with each finger. Repeat them as many times as needed, and eventually work your way closer to the nut.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
alright, i will. thanks guys. maybe i should start doing yoga or something.
Frets almost always are the same distance on any guitar. The frets have to be set up in a certain way to accurately play each half step pitch.

The difference is the size/flexibility of the hand. After you play for a while, your hand will relax and become more flexible and you will be able to play a wider span of frets at one time.
also, the crazy train riff isn't actually that tough on my pinky if i work on it. there's just another one where you need your pinky on the 7th and your index finger on the 3rd that's giving me trouble