I've been asking around about getting a good pedal for trippy/psychedelic music. I think I am interested in a Phaser, maybe a flanger. I was wondering what the difference between the two is? Especially the sound you get from either.

Also, if any of you have a flanger or phaser pedal, what is an awsome model based on your experience?

Thanks.
if you want the more trippy sound go with the phaser, mike einziger of incubus uses it a lot...for the ultimate mind fuc.k use both when you're stoned
Yeah, it sounds like a Phaser Pedal is what I am wanting I reckon. Anyone else have any good experience with a particular type of phaser model?
anyone heard of steve hillage, doubt it but i swear he uses flasnger, phase, chorus, tremelo, wah, delay. Its insane, but phase is where it goes in out slowly isnt it
I've got a Small Stone, which is an amazing phaser. I suggest you look into Nano Small Stones, people prefer them.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Kozworth
Yeah, it sounds like a Phaser Pedal is what I am wanting I reckon. Anyone else have any good experience with a particular type of phaser model?

Look at the MXR Phase 90 or the MXR EVH Phase 90 if you like it better. The EVH Phase 90 has a script button that gets you vintage phase sounds and modern phase in one pedal. Also check out the EHX Small Stone.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
phasers are faster, and sound more 'electronic' in my opinion

flangers are more of that jet plane wooosh sound

flangers avalible:
Boss BF3 (this has the ability to chorus) <- i have this
Electroharmonix Electricmistress (also a chorus)
Electroharmonix Electricmistress Delux <- my friend has this

the prices are:
90GBP
75GBP
100GBP resppectively

i got my boss of ebay, 2nd hand for 42GBP.

thats all i can think of
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
both the EVH pedals by MXR, the flange and phase pedals, are incredible.
the EHX electricmistress is also a good pedal, but my vote is for the MXRs.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
which would sound better for thickening up folk, country, and rock type of arpeggios, in addition to a chorus?
The most popular phasers on this board seem to be the Phase 90 and the EHX Small Stone. I recently bought the EHX Nano Small Stone because I thought it sounded more lush and was more versatile -- check my review on this site for more info.

The Boss Super Phaser is even more tweakable, but I liked the sound of the Small Stone better.
If you want a straight phaser sound, the Nano Small Stone is the best reasonably-priced option. For the short time that I had a PH-3, I thought it added something else to my tone... I liked it a lot, it was one of my favourite digital effects. Try out both.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
Quote by Kozworth
I've been asking around about getting a good pedal for trippy/psychedelic music. I think I am interested in a Phaser, maybe a flanger. I was wondering what the difference between the two is? Especially the sound you get from either.

Also, if any of you have a flanger or phaser pedal, what is an awsome model based on your experience?

Thanks.
Phaser:
Changes the frequency response.
Basically a complicated tone control.

Flanger
Changes the frequency.
Basically a delay that has a changing time base.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
try the digitech synthwah, check it out on their site. some awesome stuff there.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
flanger has more of a murky sound, phase shifters have a more electronicly enhanced sound. I've got an MXR Phase 90 flanger, its crazy good, Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine has the same pedal, so does Eddy Van Halen. It's good for almost everything
I have no clue how to describe it but flangers have more of a.. synth space shippy electrical type sound.