Well ive been playing for about five months, and i'm getting really serious. i wanted to learn some solos, but they are way too hard, like i first tried fade to black, then i tried iron man, and got no where. im not a bad player but thats too advanced for me. what songs should i look at to get better so i can work my way up to metallica level solo's. btw i like hard rock, metal, some old school, but please no punk or emo songs. thanx in advance. cheers!
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
nirvana - smells like teen spirit
muse - plug in baby (intro)
more alternative then hard rock, but simple
my advice to you is to learn how to do all the things in solos first. learn bedning, sliding, hammering on, pulling off, different kinds of tapping. if you can do those well, learn some short licks and do them slowly and gradually build up speed.

when you can do all that without many mistakes, move onto learning some solos. the first solo i learned was the solo in reply by staind. its simple enough and its short so you should probably manage it.

you might already be at that stage but even dont expect to be able to learn to solo overnight. its the hardest part of guitar but the funnest too imo.

one last thing. from my experience, timing is very important. until recently i havent bothered with it as much as i should have and i really regret it.

the solo from savin me by nickelback looks easy enough.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by crog
nirvana - smells like teen spirit
muse - plug in baby (intro)
more alternative then hard rock, but simple

the intro to plug in baby isnt really much of a solo. solos arent meant to repeat themselves???? still, doesnt mean its a bad option.
Quote by no_thing101
my advice to you is to learn how to do all the things in solos first. learn bedning, sliding, hammering on, pulling off, different kinds of tapping. if you can do those well, learn some short licks and do them slowly and gradually build up speed.

when you can do all that without many mistakes, move onto learning some solos. the first solo i learned was the solo in reply by staind. its simple enough and its short so you should probably manage it.

you might already be at that stage but even dont expect to be able to learn to solo overnight. its the hardest part of guitar but the funnest too imo.

one last thing. from my experience, timing is very important. until recently i havent bothered with it as much as i should have and i really regret it.

the solo from savin me by nickelback looks easy enough.

+1

there's no law or rule that says you're supposed to be able to play solos after a certain time. Concentrate on your rhythm playing for the time being, if you're pretty competent and comfortable with your rhythm style, your picking is accurate and consistent and your fretting is clean and smooth then you're probably ready to give it a go. If not then it might be better to wait a little longer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
im good at bending, sliding, etc. its just some are wawy too hard. for example in the song smooth by santana i can get to the chorus but no more.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!